Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Default Doomsday Seed Vault

Has anyone else invested in their own "doomsday seed vault"? I've started building mine up. This is one of my sources.

I'm also learning how to harvest my own seeds. This year I have four different types of tomatoes, two types of chard, jalapenos, green, red and yellow peppers, corn, zucchini, watermelon, cucumber and green onions. I plan to keep increasing my garden areas each year.

I have plans to build an aquaponics system so I can also raise some talapia for eating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Can ammo be considered "seeds"? Went to four different gun shops yesterday to purchase ammo. Needed .22lr, 9mm and .38 ... oh, and some snake shot. Not one shop had all three. One store was charging $75 for box of 500 22lr and another store was selling same exact brand/box for $35. Store charging $75 would sell as many as you wanted until stock ran out. The other shop (one selling for $35) had limit of one box per person per day. That was yesterday and they had just put them out on shelf. Today they were out. The first two shops we stopped at had no 22's.

Figured that if I was going to have a seed vault and raising my own food I should have the means to protect it. Just being prudent.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Can ammo be considered "seeds"? Went to four different gun shops yesterday to purchase ammo. Needed .22lr, 9mm and .38 ... oh, and some snake shot. Not one shop had all three. One store was charging $75 for box of 500 22lr and another store was selling same exact brand/box for $35. Store charging $75 would sell as many as you wanted until stock ran out. The other shop (one selling for $35) had limit of one box per person per day. That was yesterday and they had just put them out on shelf. Today they were out. The first two shops we stopped at had no 22's.

Figured that if I was going to have a seed vault and raising my own food I should have the means to protect it. Just being prudent.
    Yeah, a lot of ammo is still pretty scarce, and overpriced. Some think it more valuable (in the end) than gold. I started reloading a while back, and think in the end it works out better. As if the SHTF, ammo will probably be a highly valued item.