Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Said1 View Post
    Believe what? That he received guidance or answers after prayer?

That's something I personally like to call coincidence, which is very profound no matter what you believe, but you probably wouldn't notice that. Ask and ye shall receive, dude.
    Revelation, by definition, cannot be passed on. It becomes hearsay. Claims of this kind are also not unique to any one religion and those religions seem to be mutually exclusive, so it becomes trickey.

Coincidence, I wouldn't call profound at all. I'd call direct causation of a "God" or set of gods profound.

As for "asking"...that assumes that there is something to ask of...
    Man is a marvelous curiosity … he thinks he is the Creator's pet … he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    .... I am LDS.
    Won't hold it against you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Waltz View Post
    Revelation, by definition, cannot be passed on. It becomes hearsay. Claims of this kind are also not unique to any one religion and those religions seem to be mutually exclusive, so it becomes trickey.

Coincidence, I wouldn't call profound at all. I'd call direct causation of a "God" or set of gods profound.

As for "asking"...that assumes that there is something to ask of...
    Revelation is not hearsay. When someone tells you what they have experienced and learned, its not hearsay. its personal testimony.

You'd be surprised how many so called "revealed" religions deny revelation.

Ive always found the position are taking the easy way out for the idle person to justify not learning more. "It's all the same, no differences" while denying real differences. if there weren't real differences people wouldnt be able to debate it on end.

Ironically at the same time you are saying there are so many different religions. Either they are all the same or all different. cant be both.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And you can claim all you want. I still have no reason to believe it.
    You're lack of belief doesn't change the fact that it happened or the fact that I know it happened.

And as long as you continue taking the attitude that no one can find out for themselves, you will never learn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Revelation is not hearsay. When someone tells you what they have experienced and learned, its not hearsay. its personal testimony.
    Nope. That's hearsay.

Ive always found the position are taking the easy way out for the idle person to justify not learning more. "It's all the same, no differences" while denying real differences. if there weren't real differences people wouldnt be able to debate it on end.

Ironically at the same time you are saying there are so many different religions. Either they are all the same or all different. cant be both.
    That's funny. I've always found it's the person that claims that their religion that is superior, when other religions do the same thing, is taking the easy way out.

Or, the person that claims that claims that their religion is unique while ignoring the differences in other religions is taking the easy way out.
    Man is a marvelous curiosity … he thinks he is the Creator's pet … he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're lack of belief doesn't change the fact that it happened or the fact that I know it happened.

And as long as you continue taking the attitude that no one can find out for themselves, you will never learn.
    Your belief doesn't change the fact that it either did or didn't happen.
    It also doesn't change the fact that I still have no reason to believe you that it did happen.

Where did I say trhat "no one could find out for themselves"? I simply dismissed your baseless claims that you have given me no reason to believe.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your belief doesn't change the fact that it either did or didn't happen.
    It also doesn't change the fact that I still have no reason to believe you that it did happen.

Where did I say trhat "no one could find out for themselves"? I simply dismissed your baseless claims that you have given me no reason to believe.
    And what the heck do you offer to this thread? Please go away until you can provide thoughts that actually pertain to the topic...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    And what the heck do you offer to this thread? Please go away until you can provide thoughts that actually pertain to the topic...
    I offered my thoughts. They were then questioned by others...and what do you know? Discussion followed. Amazing that should happen on a discussion board, I know.

It's not my problem that you don't like the answers that I give.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Heaven and Hell are essentially beliefs, as is much of the Bible.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .............

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Won't hold it against you.
    Me neither

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.