Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default US adults are dumber than the average human

http://nypost.com/2013/10/08/us-adul...average-human/

In math, reading and problem-solving using technology – all skills considered critical for global competitiveness and economic strength – American adults scored below the international average on a global test, according to results released Tuesday.

Adults in Japan, Canada, Australia, Finland and multiple other countries scored significantly higher than the United States in all three areas on the test. Beyond basic reading and math, respondents were tested on activities such as calculating mileage reimbursement due to a salesman, sorting email and comparing food expiration dates on grocery store tags.
    Not shocking. Not shocking at all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Well.... We have to add in all those morons in the cities.
    and I'm not surprised. I've met many an american that couldn't string a sentence together.
    And... Nobody ever understands the math I do...
    "If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

You've stated the problem, but no mention of a solution. For example, obesity is a problem, so the solution is to move your butt and quit eating like a pig.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    You've stated the problem, but no mention of a solution. For example, obesity is a problem, so the solution is to move your butt and quit eating like a pig.
    Get the federal government out of education, they have been dumbing it down ever since they stuck their fingers into it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Get the federal government out of education, they have been dumbing it down ever since they stuck their fingers into it.
    Then the solution is to depend on the govenment to do as you suggest?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

When a bad man is hitting you with a stick the solution is not to beg him to stop it. The solution is to take that damn stick away from him and beat his ass with it. America has been so dumbed down that it fails to grasp this simple solution which is why it was dumbed down in the first place. We have a dictatorial government hell bent on enslaving us so the solution is not going to be found within or with the help of that same government! We have reached the point where that government must be overthrown by whatever it takes! That is the sad reality that nobody wants to face. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    When a bad man is hitting you with a stick the solution is not to beg him to stop it. The solution is to take that damn stick away from him and beat his ass with it. America has been so dumbed down that it fails to grasp this simple solution which is why it was dumbed down in the first place. We have a dictatorial government hell bent on enslaving us so the solution is not going to be found within or with the help of that same government! We have reached the point where that government must be overthrown by whatever it takes! That is the sad reality that nobody wants to face. -Tyr
    I was thinking of an immediate, less drastic course of action. Namely, study and lead your children to study. If it is necessary to show up at a school, it's not really necessary to participate. It is dumbed down, so its not hard to just "go through the motions" and pass. Since my youngest isn't up to the task of virtual school, we are keeping them in public school at the moment. The principal won't facilitate my oldest studying Algebra I early, so we bought a used copy of the textbook on Amazon.com and he's learning it at home.
    Last edited by tailfins; 10-09-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I was thinking of an immediate, less drastic course of action. Namely, study and lead your children to study. If it is necessary to show up at a school, it's not really necessary to participate. Since my youngest isn't up to the task of virtual school, we are keeping them in public school at the moment. The principal won't facilitate my oldest studying Algebra I early, so we bought a used copy of the textbook on Amazon.com and he's learning it at home.
    I agree that is a good start. However America should have embarked on such as that about 3 decades back. That will not solve what we are currently facing IMHO. I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE LESS THAN A DECADE TO TURN IT AROIND OR WE SINK. And quietly likely even less time such as less than 5 years! --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What part of 'get the government out of education' suggests that we need to depend on government? Seriously, that is the most insane interpretation I have ever seen.

If I remember correctly the department of education was created around 77 or 78. Since that time, how much money has it spent, and how many people has it educated? I'd guess a shit ton in terms of money spent, and zero in terms of people educated. The federal government has zero business in education (among numerous other things), and just about all it touches it screws up. Return the power of education to the states where it belongs, and where it was prior to the start of the department of education. Whatever % of spending is used by the feds for 'education' is how much federal taxes should be reduced so the money stays in the states.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

What part of 'get the government out of education' suggests that we need to depend on government? Seriously, that is the most insane interpretation I have ever seen.

If I remember correctly the department of education was created around 77 or 78. Since that time, how much money has it spent, and how many people has it educated? I'd guess a shit ton in terms of money spent, and zero in terms of people educated. The federal government has zero business in education (among numerous other things), and just about all it touches it screws up. Return the power of education to the states where it belongs, and where it was prior to the start of the department of education. Whatever % of spending is used by the feds for 'education' is how much federal taxes should be reduced so the money stays in the states.
    Allow me to introduce a concept called indivdualism. It means you don't wait for the government to do or not do something. It means you become aware of government abuse and insulate yourself immediately. It means you stop wishing for things to be the way they should be and respond to the reality today. This is at least twice you have been tone deaf in this manner. The first was in response to the the civil forfeiture of $35,000+. If someone is aware that civil forfeiture exists and leaves money in the bank, they are negligent. Complaining about the government is a poor excuse for inaction. If the government is incompetent about education, you don't wait for the government to become competent, you make up the deficiencies yourself.
    Last edited by tailfins; 10-09-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Allow me to introduce a concept called indivdualism.
    You would be better off if you just stuck to the topic, rather than trying to ram words down the mouths of people.

Do you DISAGREE that the fed's need to be pushed out of education or not? Simple question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

You would be better off if you just stuck to the topic, rather than trying to ram words down the mouths of people.

Do you DISAGREE that the fed's need to be pushed out of education or not? Simple question.

That's like asking "Do you believe sickness should be eliminated?" It's a pipe dream. In order to entertain your question: How do you propose to push the Federal government out of education? How soon can you have that implented? When there's a cesspool around you, it's productive to stop thinking about the turds one-by-one. Just try to avoid as much stink as you can.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's like asking "Do you believe sickness should be eliminated?" It's a pipe dream. In order to entertain your question: How do you propose to push the Federal government out of education? How soon can you have that implented? When there's a cesspool around you, it's productive to stop thinking about the turds one-by-one. Just try to avoid as much stink as you can.
    So you don't want to answer the question. Would have been easier to simply say that than to drone on about unrelated BS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"America’s school kids have historically scored low on international assessment tests compared to other countries, which is often blamed on the diversity of the population and the high number of immigrants. Also, achievement tests have long shown that a large chunk of the US student population lacks basic reading and math skills – most pronounced among low-income and minority students."

There you go. Even in the US, once you remove non asian minorities, educational stats start looking good. Sad but true.
    I'll bet dollars to donuts, if you weed out that demographic, the US would be contending for the top spot.
    Last edited by Thunderknuckles; 10-09-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

So you don't want to answer the question. Would have been easier to simply say that than to drone on about unrelated BS.
    It's a question with an obvious answer. My reply should be an obvious answer to your question. Of course the US Department of Education should be dismantled and Federal involvement in education should be rolled back to pre-depression levels.