Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Flight

Just watched this Denzel movie. Well-acted, but I was disappointed because the movie was quite different from what I thought it would be. I purposely don't read much detail on movies before seeing them so the plot can just unfold, so this is one of the hazards.

What I expected: A movie about a cover up of a plane's substandard mechanics, with pilot as scapegoat.

What I saw: A movie about a drunk/high addict who needs to come to terms with his addiction.

Movies about people in downward spirals (pun intended) are just not my cup of tea.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Hollywood has this fixation with character studies. That is what I didn't like about Gravity. It has a fantastic concept and was well shot, but it too often drifted off into these long monologues by Sandra Bullock.
    Same with World War Z. The book was remarkable and the movie could have been the same. But it focused too much on Brad Pitt's character and not enough on the movie.
    Any movie that uses high dollar actors and actresses is usually focused on them more than the film itself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a bad movie. Had never heard about it, but then again, I don't much pay attention to what is out there in terms of Hollywood crap.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Hollywood has this fixation with character studies...
    That's because it's populated with people who know nothing about technical issues, never mind make them interesting. Back before the Discovery Channel a US engineering society wrote an article suggesting that a TV series be made of the goigs-on of an engineering firm or municipal department instead of the usual law firm or police drama. I thought it was pretty funny, thinking the st-drama types would even attempt that.

Fast forward 20 years and now we have many, many reality shows that deal with technical issues, and they are popular. The best example is Myth Busters. Modern Marvels is another.

Network TV reality shows are are all about human character fault or talents, never about science and technology.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Hollywood has this fixation with character studies. That is what I didn't like about Gravity. It has a fantastic concept and was well shot, but it too often drifted off into these long monologues by Sandra Bullock.
    Same with World War Z. The book was remarkable and the movie could have been the same. But it focused too much on Brad Pitt's character and not enough on the movie.
    Any movie that uses high dollar actors and actresses is usually focused on them more than the film itself.
    'Tis true. What I dislike is that the characters are usually severely flawed and going nowhere but down. I understand that it can make for a more interesting story than someone who has it together, but I need someone/something to root for in a move or book. These Leaving Las Vegas-type movies lack that key element. I am not sure what type of people enjoy these failing characters. But I suspect they are mostly appreciated by Hollywood insiders, who then proceed to pat each other on the back for writing and portraying them at Award shows.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey