Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Default Tomato braised chicken

So Aldi's had leg quarters at 77 cents per pound. Two in a pan with some olive oil and butter and seasoned with salt and pepper, Add chopped onion and garlic and a little basil and parsley. Brown all then add a can of chopped tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, chicken stock and reduce heat and simmer till juices run clear. Waiting to taste it now. Let you know how this effort is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yummy! But you're killing me over here with all the good foods! I think I'm taking the boy to Taco Bell later on. And don't get me wrong, I like the junk Mexican food, but my stomach and the rest of my digestive system don't. I'm prepared this time though and already took the medicine!!

What's Aldi's? A local place to you? Never heard of it.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Aldi's is a discount grocery. Very inexpensive no frills. They are a chain I originally saw in the midwest. They are in Queens I know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The V4R vote is in. I definitely need to keep that recipe. I thought it had a great flavor. The slow simmer means all the chicken picks up the seasoned tomato.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WiccanLiberal View Post
    Aldi's is a discount grocery. Very inexpensive no frills. They are a chain I originally saw in the midwest. They are in Queens I know.
    Aldi's are all over our area. I've one about a mile south of me. Another 2 miles east. A third, about 2 miles north. The closest is by Dominicks, Jewel, Whole Foods for my 'everyday shopping.' The one east is in the same strip mall as Trader Joe's and across the street from my favorite Dominicks, (my favorite chain, but closing in 2 months-damn Safeway!). The one to the north I use when combining library and other 'in town' errands.

Aldi's is owned by the same German parent company that owns Trader Joe's.

Aldi's is my 'go to' store for basics: flour, sugar, common spices, potatoes, carrots, etc. (Costs are often 76% cheaper than grocery chains). Their 'special purchases' are often very low prices, very high quality-like Trader Joe's. Last week they had some awesome silicone baking utensils for under $10, everything from spatulas to bread pans and pan liners. They have an good variety now of Mexican ingredients including small size tortillas, 20 for less than $1. I really like those for wraps.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

They didn't used to be online, now they are:

https://www.aldi.us/

Stores are clean, got to bag your own from cart. Mentioning the cart, have to bring your own quarter to get one, it's returned when you return to corral. Smart, no carts flying into cars in high wind, ever a problem here!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

LOL! I've been intrigued by their 'truths' ads, had to find if online. Not all, but enough:

https://www.aldi.us/en/new-at-aldi/aldi-truths/

Some:

ALDI truths:

<dl class="csc-textpic-image csc-textpic-firstcol" style="width: 126px;"><dt></dt></dl><dl class="csc-textpic-image" style="width: 126px;"><dt></dt></dl><dl class="csc-textpic-image" style="width: 127px;"><dt></dt></dl><dl class="csc-textpic-image" style="width: 126px;"><dt></dt></dl><dl class="csc-textpic-image csc-textpic-lastcol" style="width: 126px;"><dt></dt></dl>
    <dl class="csc-textpic-image csc-textpic-firstcol" style="width: 126px;"><dt></dt></dl><dl class="csc-textpic-image" style="width: 126px;"><dt></dt></dl><dl class="csc-textpic-image" style="width: 127px;"><dt></dt></dl><dl class="csc-textpic-image" style="width: 126px;"><dt></dt></dl><dl class="csc-textpic-image csc-textpic-lastcol" style="width: 126px;"><dt></dt></dl>

<!-- -->

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WiccanLiberal View Post
    So Aldi's had leg quarters at 77 cents per pound. Two in a pan with some olive oil and butter and seasoned with salt and pepper, Add chopped onion and garlic and a little basil and parsley. Brown all then add a can of chopped tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, chicken stock and reduce heat and simmer till juices run clear. Waiting to taste it now. Let you know how this effort is.
    Sounds a little like Chicken Cacciatore. Haven't had it in years, but loved it when I was younger.
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony