Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Default LG TV sends your viewing habits, file info you screen to corporate, even if u say no

LG TV phones home with your viewing habits, names of files you screen, even if you tell it not to

http://boingboing.net/2013/11/19/lg-...h-your-vi.html

Doctor Beet was alarmed to notice that his LG TV was showing him ads on its home screen; he investigated and discovered a hidden, undocumented setting to switch off collection of his viewing habits. Still suspicious, he monitored the packets flowing from his TV’s network interface and discovered that even with the “data-collection off” setting engaged, the TV still phoned home with the name of every program it showed, as well as the filenames of every video he loaded over its USB interface. All of this data was sent in the clear to LG’s servers.
    When he contacted LG, they told him that “unfortunately” he had consented to this by clicking through the EULA, and advised him that it was something he had to take up with the store where he bought the set, because they should have told him about the spying before selling it to him.
    'sooory you clicked the terms of use agreement and anyway it's not our problem, call wal-mart.'
    Really?

the law suits are going to start flying on this i hope.
    It doesn't HAVE TO be this way
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

2. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are other Smart TV manufacturers doing the same thing, and not been found out yet?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

as well as the filenames of every video he loaded over its USB interface
    Holy Crap!! I hope my bluray player doesn't do that! LOL It's a smart player, as it's on the network and can stream Netflix, Hulu and other crap. But I take movies on my USB stick and watch them thru the player. I'm denying further comment on WHERE my movies came from...

So now after I have a flick, I will have to rename the files before watching them...

Bite me NSA bastards

Spy on this, scumbag

Bit my wiener

DIE LIBERALS

5. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

It is my understanding that many household items that have electronics will be able to do this sooner than we think. In fact, there are several that do so now. And, the CIA wants to use your dishwasher to spy on you.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/house...?id=19974898#1

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...-in-your-home/

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012...eus-tv-remote/
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

7. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Hasn't anybody noticed that the screenshot the original link provided shows that the viewing locality wasn't America, but the UK ?? Evidently, judging from this, the issue was what was being done in Britain.

It so happens that at my workplace we have large screen LG televisions. I checked out the two I've had sight of today, and neither shows the contentious 'we are snooping on your viewing habits' setting portrayed in the picture, when you examine the portion of menu that should be relevant. Seems to me, therefore, that EITHER LG have cleaned up their act since this became an issue, OR, that Company has become a lot more adept at covering its tracks.

I've no idea which is true in this case. Still .. it has to be said that this is apparently a UK 'surveillance' issue rather than one for your side of the Pond (.. this time around, anyway ..).
    Last edited by Drummond; 02-28-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

9. Thanks jimnyc, aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Hasn't anybody noticed that the screenshot the original link provided shows that the viewing locality wasn't America, but the UK ?? Evidently, judging from this, the issue was what was being done in Britain.

It so happens that at my workplace we have large screen LG televisions. I checked out the two I've had sight of today, and neither shows the contentious 'we are snooping on your viewing habits' setting portrayed in the picture, when you examine the portion of menu that should be relevant. Seems to me, therefore, that EITHER LG have cleaned up their act since this became an issue, OR, that Company has become a lot more adept at covering its tracks.

I've no idea which is true in this case. Still .. it has to be said that this is apparently a UK 'surveillance' issue rather than one for your side of the Pond (.. this time around, anyway ..).

Sir Drummond. As most of us over here on the other side of the Atlantic are acutely aware...Some people simply must find fault, or a reason to complain about ALMOST Everything in order to gather more Miserable People together as a group.

So many people these days are so terribly Miss-informed, Un-informed, and UNDER-informed. Is it any wonder why they are also so EASILY LED to believe Proven Lies to be factual, liberally minded fantasy????

I call it "SHOOTIN' BLANKS". Or, as my late father used to call it..."Putting their mouth in motion before putting their mind in gear!"

It's just the result of LACK of education, disguised by many as the "KNOW IT ALL SYNDROME"...they brag about with other "EQUALLY UNDER-EDUCATED" mindless sheep.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

11. Thanks Drummond thanked this post