Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    They anything like 'Rocky Mountain Oysters"?
    Related, I've been wanting to post this for days:

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/bear.html

Tons of recipes!

Die thread, die!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    Global Warming is a myth created by Liberals to get movie awards, scam people out of money and take the attention of all the crooked things they are doing.

No global warming is an indisputable fact and it is to some degree caused by Man. To what degree nobody knows.

But nobody knows what the longer term results of global warming will be. Good/bad/cataclysmic/nominal. We have no idea. We only know what the very early results are. And so far no real problems.

CO2 levels have risen a lot, like at least 50% in the last 50 years and this almost certainly is a man made effect.

But ironically the early theories were that the more CO2 was introduced into the atmosphere, the more the atmosphere would heat, and in turn more CO2 would dissolve out of ocean water (where an enormous mass of it is stored. Think about what happens when you open a carbonated beverage and warm it up. Those bubbles are CO2 dissolved into the beverage, as the drink warms the CO2 is released. The opposite happens when you aerate that bevrage with CO2 when it is very cold, the gases dissolve into the beverage. And if you think about it, a single 12 oz coke contains a LOT of CO2). A self generating feedback loop. The opposite happened. The oceans continued to obsorb far more CO2 than anybody thought would occur.

What has been discovered since then is that there are biotic systems that store vast amounts of CO2 and methane that could dramatically alter any predictions about warming and cooling. And virtually nothing is known about how those systems cycle.

Global warming is also warming the arctic regions far more than anybody expected. And scientists are divided as to whether or not the earth will net warm or net cool because of the climate cycles global warming contributes to.

Nobody knows.

Which is what makes the whole cuddly bear thread so childish and absurd.

Actually it borders on idiotic esp since the bears aren't even yet endangered and it isn't even yet known if their numbers are decreasing at all due to climate changes.

Global warming might kill man and cause the bears to prosper, nobody knows.

On the bright side the Bald Eagle was removed from the endangered species list this week.

Score one for man.
    Last edited by loosecannon; 06-28-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Currently New Delhi, India (at least until I piss off someplace else)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    How about you fly to the pole and spend the rest of your life building them bridges in between icebergs.
    How long should the bridges be? The floes are melting at record speed and retreating farther away from the coast.

In this file photo an Arctic polar bear jumps as he crosses ice floes at Herald Island in the Chukchi Sea, July 27, 1999. Polar bears are drowning and receding Arctic glaciers have uncovered previously unknown islands in a drastic 2006 summer thaw widely blamed on global warming. REUTERS/Greenpeace/ Beltra

Polar bears drown amid Arctic thaw

OSLO (Reuters) - Polar bears are drowning and receding Arctic glaciers have uncovered previously unknown islands in a drastic 2006 summer thaw widely blamed on global warming.

Signs of wrenching changes are apparent around the Arctic region due to unusual warmth -- the summer minimum for ice is usually reached between mid-September and early October before the Arctic freeze extends its grip.

"We know about three new islands this year that have been uncovered because the glaciers have retreated," said Rune Bergstrom, environmental adviser to the governor of Svalbard, a Norwegian archipelago about 1,000 km (600 miles) from the North Pole.

The largest is about 300 by 100 metres, he told Reuters.

On a trip this summer "We saw a couple of polar bears in the sea east of Svalbard -- one of them looked to be dead and the other one looked to be exhausted," said Julian Dowdeswell, head of the Scott Polar Research Institute in England.

He said that the bears had apparently been stranded at sea by melting ice. The bears generally live around the fringes of the ice where they find it easiest to hunt seals.

NASA projected this week that Arctic sea ice is likely to recede in 2006 close to a low recorded in 2005 as part of a melting trend in recent decades. A stormy August in 2006 had slightly slowed the 2006 melt.

"There are very unusual conditions this year from Svalbard to Alaska," said Samantha Smith, director of the WWF's environmental group's Arctic Programme.

One international study in 2004 projected that summer ice could disappear completely by 2100, undermining the livelihoods of indigenous peoples and driving creatures such as polar bears towards extinction.

WAKE-UP CALL

Smith said the shrinking ice should be a wake-up call for governments to cut emissions of greenhouse gases, mainly from power plants, factories and cars that most scientists say are causing global warming.

"The Arctic is likely to warm more than any other part of the world" because of global warming, said Dowdeswell. Darker water and soil, once exposed, soaks up far more of the sun's heat than mirror-like ice and snow.

The melt may also open up the Arctic to more exploration for oil, gas and minerals, increase fisheries and open a short-cut shipping route linking the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Ian Stirling, a researcher with the Canadian Wildlife Service, said polar bears were finding it harder to find food, threatening their ability to reproduce.

"In 1980 the average weight of adult females in western Hudson Bay was 650 pounds (300 kg). Their average weight in 2004 was just 507 pounds," he said in a report this week. Numbers in the Hudson Bay region dropped to 950 in 2004 from 1,200 in 1989.
    Convert to the BPR - Beer Pizza Religion. Worship at the altar of the beer (or other) babes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
    Global warming is also warming the arctic regions far more than anybody expected.
    Exactly.

And scientists are divided as to whether or not the earth will net warm or net cool because of the climate cycles global warming contributes to.
    The effect on the Arctic is plainly visible for all to see.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4290340.stm

Arctic ice 'disappearing quickly'

The area covered by sea ice in the Arctic has shrunk for a fourth consecutive year, according to new data released by US scientists.

They say that this month sees the lowest extent of ice cover for more than a century.

The Arctic climate varies naturally, but the researchers conclude that human-induced global warming is at least partially responsible.

They warn the shrinkage could lead to even faster melting in coming years.

"September 2005 will set a new record minimum in the amount of Arctic sea ice cover," said Mark Serreze, of the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC), Boulder, Colorado.

"It's the least sea ice we've seen in the satellite record, and continues a pattern of extreme low extents of sea ice which we've now seen for the last four years," he told BBC News.

September lows

September is the month when the Arctic ice usually reaches a minimum.

The new data shows that on 19 September, the area covered by ice fell to 5.35 million sq km (2.01 million sq miles), the lowest recorded since 1978, when satellite records became available; it is now 20% less than the 1978-2000 average.

ARCTIC SEA ICE EXTENT - SEPTEMBER TREND, 1978-2005

The current rate of shrinkage they calculate at 8% per decade; at this rate there may be no ice at all during the summer of 2060.

An NSIDC analysis of historical records also suggests that ice cover is less this year than during the low periods of the 1930s and 40s.

Mark Serreze believes that the findings are evidence of climate change induced by human activities.

"It's still a controversial issue, and there's always going to be some uncertainty because the climate system does have a lot of natural variability, especially in the Arctic," he said.

"But I think the evidence is growing very, very strong that part of what we're seeing now is the increased greenhouse effect. If you asked me, I'd bet the mortgage that that's just what's happening."
    Which is what makes the whole cuddly bear thread so childish and absurd.
    Actually it borders on idiotic esp since the bears aren't even yet endangered and it isn't even yet known if their numbers are decreasing at all due to climate changes.
    Of course the numbers are decreasing.

The polar bears need you.
    Convert to the BPR - Beer Pizza Religion. Worship at the altar of the beer (or other) babes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Related, I've been wanting to post this for days:

Tons of recipes!

Die thread, die!
    I have eaten bear once. Slow cooked underneath a fire that burnt for two days. An Indian wedding.

It was still acceptable food at best.

Meanwhile a backstrap or flank steak from an Elk Cow is unreal. Moose makes outstanding sausage and venison is OK. King crab, fresh halibut and three of the five common salmon species are magnitudes above beef or freshwater fish.

The point is Bear is horrible food unless you are starving.

The problem is Bears eat people. I have lived in places where you had to pack a 50 cal. in order to defend yourself from bears who would maim you, kill you or eat you if they could. Everybody packed, even women. Sometimes kids.

Bears in the wild are NOT our friends. They are more likely to eat you than Cougars and by a long shot.

Only Moose attack people more often, because there are more of em.

None of this has a damned thing to do with global warming today in 2007.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The effect on the Arctic is plainly visible for all to see.

Sure today. But just like this effect wasn't visible 10 years ago, it could reverse in two years.

You have no idea. Meanwhile the Bears aren't even yet endangered which makes this thread ridiculous nonsense no matter how honorable your intent.

Global warming scientists still have no idea whether the arctic will warm or cool overall because of the climate change associated with global warming.

Neither do you.

You are just jerking our chain with sophmoric claims that you accept blindly from opportunistic manipulators in the faux news industry.

You have no idea what you are really talking about. You just cut and paste propaganda and cute picks of man-eating bears.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .............

I have eaten bear once. Slow cooked underneath a fire that burnt for two days. An Indian wedding.

It was still acceptable food at best.

Meanwhile a backstrap or flank steak from an Elk Cow is unreal. Moose makes outstanding sausage and venison is OK. King crab, fresh halibut and three of the five common salmon species are magnitudes above beef or freshwater fish.

The point is Bear is horrible food unless you are starving.

The problem is Bears eat people. I have lived in places where you had to pack a 50 cal. in order to defend yourself from bears who would maim you, kill you or eat you if they could. Everybody packed, even women. Sometimes kids.

Bears in the wild are NOT our friends. They are more likely to eat you than Cougars and by a long shot.

Only Moose attack people more often, because there are more of em.

None of this has a damned thing to do with global warming today in 2007.
    Bears usually are easily scared. When I worked at scout camp back in the day they tought us if we saw a bear to make a lot of noise and it would run away. I have seen it work, granted I was to afraid to try it.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Please detail your personal knowledge of the bear populations, or university studies, or scientifically reviewed articles. Because quite frankly your "news" articles are a complete waste of time.

Do you have anything real to offer aside from enviro propaganda?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bears usually are easily scared. When I worked at scout camp back in the day they tought us if we saw a bear to make a lot of noise and it would run away. I have seen it work, granted I was to afraid to try it.
    NM, SOME of them are easily scared, usually the ones that are not used to people. I have one freind who runs a camp in Southern CA of all places. Bears down there will not retreat from people. They will rip the door right off your parked car to get to your potato chips (their favorite food). Don't feed the bears!

In AK it is much worse. They will eat you if they are hungry, no hesitation. If they are starving they will track you and kill you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ............

NM, SOME of them are easily scared, usually the ones that are not used to people. I have one freind who runs a camp in Southern CA of all places. Bears down there will not retreat from people. They will rip the door right off your parked car to get to your potato chips (their favorite food). Don't feed the bears!

In AK it is much worse. They will eat you if they are hungry, no hesitation. If they are starving they will track you and kill you.
    The damn bears at Camp Fleischmann would eat Deodarant, Hairspray, Soap anything with a scent. We had to run everything up a tree in a bear bag. Those damn bears are persistant too they will even stay by that tree for a while if it has a strong enough scent. Then you would get smart asses who would put food in peoples tents with out them knowing it as a prank no realizing how dangerous that really was. I would hate to wake up right next to a brown bear.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The damn bears at Camp Fleischmann would eat Deodarant, Hairspray, Soap anything with a scent. We had to run everything up a tree in a bear bag. Those damn bears are persistant too they will even stay by that tree for a while if it has a strong enough scent. Then you would get smart asses who would put food in peoples tents with out them knowing it as a prank no realizing how dangerous that really was. I would hate to wake up right next to a brown bear.

NM I spent half my life living in the wilderness and there is nothing as unpredictable, as determined and as inherently dangerous as a hungry bear.

Worse than people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ...............

NM I spent half my life living in the wilderness and there is nothing as unpredictable, as determined and as inherently dangerous as a hungry bear.

Worse than people.
    I just thought it was funny when youd hear about them eating personal hygene products, when they do they have to be wondering what the fuck just happened.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree.
    Please detail your personal knowledge of the bear populations, or university studies, or scientifically reviewed articles. Because quite frankly your "news" articles are a complete waste of time.
    News articles are what everyone reads. They are based upon factual occurences and are not a waste of time.

Anyway, NASA is a reliable source.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/...lar_bears.html

Warming Climate May Put Chill on Arctic Polar Bear Population

Some travel agencies touting Arctic tours have been revving up their recent promotions to tourists about the increased likelihood they will spot polar bears in this region where several populations of polar bears live. According to scientists from NASA and the Canadian Wildlife Service, these increased Arctic polar bear sightings are probably related to retreating sea ice triggered by climate warming and not due to population increases as some may believe.

The new research suggests that progressively earlier breakup of the Arctic sea ice, stimulated by climate warming, shortens the spring hunting season for female polar bears in Western Hudson Bay and is likely responsible for the continuing fall in the average weight of these bears. As females become lighter, their ability to reproduce and the survival of their young decline. Also, as the bears become thinner, they are more likely to push into human settlements for food, giving the impression that the population is increasing. The study will be published this week in the September issue of the Journal Arctic.

Claire Parkinson, a scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md., and Ian Stirling, a senior scientist with the Canadian Wildlife Service, Edmonton, Alberta, used NASA satellite observations captured from 1979 to 2004 to show the reduction in sea ice cover in several specific areas where there are known polar bear populations. In most of the areas studied, they found that ice break-up in these areas has been occurring progressively earlier.

"Our research strongly suggests that climate warming is having a significant and negative effect on a primary species reliant on the sea-ice cover for survival," said Parkinson.

The researchers studied the sea ice in regions that are home to five different polar bear populations: western Hudson Bay, eastern Hudson Bay, Foxe Basin, Baffin Bay and Davis Strait-Labrador Sea. "Polar bears live much of their lives on the sea ice, which is fundamental for their survival, at least in terms of their traditional lifestyles," said Parkinson. "It’s the sea ice surface that provides them a platform from which to hunt seals and other marine mammals for food."

Sea ice is most scarce during the summer months, causing the bears to retreat to land and fast on their stored fat reserves until sea ice comes back in the fall. "Our concern is that if the length of the sea ice season continues to decrease, then the polar bears will have shorter periods on the ice, when they can feed, and longer periods on the land, during the open-water season in summer and early fall," she said. "Their stored fat from life on the ice will likely not provide enough nourishment for the fasting period on land, posing a clear danger to their health and, in the long term, possibly to their species."

Sea-ice cover in these regions has decreased since at least 1978, the beginning of consistent satellite monitoring. The researchers used 26 years of satellite data using data from NASA's Nimbus 7 satellite and the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program's Special Sensor Microwave Imager.

"By reviewing satellite data, we found that sea-ice cover break-up in western Hudson Bay took place about seven to eight days earlier per decade," said Stirling. "An extra month of fasting resulting from this phenomenon over four decades can significantly impact the polar bears' eating habits and survival."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You just cut and paste propaganda and cute picks of man-eating bears.
    It is not propoganda. I disagree. Further, so long as the pictures help generate sympathy for the bears, what does it matter?

So, how would you suggest saving them?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    It is not propoganda. I disagree. Further, so long as the pictures help generate sympathy for the bears, what does it matter?

So, how would you suggest saving them?
    I'm in favor of feeding YOU to one of them. That would be doing my little part.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke