Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Google it, I'm not about to post all the different web sights.
    Which means you didnt' do any research....

You also didn't count how many each side had because if you had, you'd still be counting if there were really "millions per side"...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    It is a well known fact, to most of us at least that global warming is causing the ice floes to melt off the Arctic, and polar bears are drowning due to having to swim far greater distances than before in search of food, and not being able to return to dry land.

There are some that steadfastly deny the occurence of global warming despite the mountains of evidence proving it, but the more rational amongst us acknowledge that it is indeed a problem.

How do we save the bears?

Your thoughts and comments on this important issue would be much appreciated.

Rahul
    They wouldn't starve OR drown if we hunted them into extinction.
    "... whenever any number of men, calling themselves a government, do anything to another man, or to his property, which they had no right to do as individuals, they thereby declare themselves trespassers, robbers, or murderers, according to the nature of their acts." - Lysander Spooner

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Which means you didnt' do any research....

You also didn't count how many each side had because if you had, you'd still be counting if there were really "millions per side"...
    Why are you nit-picking her? the point was this: Given Google and 3 minutes, one could find MANY (As in 'A shit load') of articles which are both Pro and Con of this issue.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Why are you nit-picking her? the point was this: Given Google and 3 minutes, one could find MANY (As in 'A shit load') of articles which are both Pro and Con of this issue.
    Because she claimed there are "millions of articles" supporting both sides... and I'm just asking her to prove it....

I HIGHLY doubt she counted them all - much less took the time to read each one to see which side they support...

It doesn't help anyone to make empty claims like that....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Because she claimed there are "millions of articles" supporting both sides... and I'm just asking her to prove it....

I HIGHLY doubt she counted them all - much less took the time to read each one to see which side they support...

I can't believe you are getting your panties in such a twist over this.

I googled polar bears and noticed there were MANY articles for both arguments. I then read through a few and pulled out one I thought was interresting.

Geez

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Well, thanks to the benefit of context I'm very sure most people know by 'millions' she meant 'many'. IMO, you're being too picky.

btw - tomorrow night - show up around 6:30, aight?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How can we stop the polar bear from dying out due to global warming?
    The answer is simple...everybody chill!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    You just reminded me of one of the worst movies of all time. It rhymes with Fatman and Bobbin.

"Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Well no shit sherlock of course she didn't count them all. Do you count every article that comes up on google or yahoo that relates to a topic you post on. I think we should hold you accountable in the future to make sure you are giving us a running count of all articles.

I for one used COMMON sense and realized that "millions" meant a whole lot.

Do you always take everything "literaly"??
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Nobody liked my custom animation of the bear swatting the head off the seal?? C'mon!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Nobody liked my custom animation of the bear swatting the head off the seal?? C'mon!
    I loved it ! Good job----I watched it 1 million times !!!

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Currently New Delhi, India (at least until I piss off someplace else)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by remie View Post
    You know I bet if truth be known, the polar bears are actually swimming out to these little ice islands kinda like I go to Barbados. You know as a polar bear get away.
    The bears are drowning in search of food, not getaways.

Really, we could go back and forth with this argument. There are just as many articles about polar bears dying and there are about them thriving.
    Actually, I have found that most of the reliable sources state they are dying out.

Here is an interresting article, it even discusses your picture you keep posting Rahul.
    I only posted that once. Pictures sometimes help to get the word out faster. It's important to make one's posts visually attractive, otherwise, they get drowned amongst all the tremendously negative posts on here.

"Polar bears are the poster animals of global warming. The image of a polar bear floating on an ice floe is one of the most dramatic visual statements in the fight against rising temperatures in the Arctic.

But global warming is not killing the polar bears of Canada's eastern Arctic, according to one ongoing study. Scheduled for release next year, it says the number of polar bears in the Davis Strait area of Canada's eastern Arctic – one of 19 polar bear populations worldwide – has grown to 2,100, up from 850 in the mid-1980s.

For those keeping score, that’s an almost 150 percent increase in two decades."
    http://newsbusters.org/node/12694
    That study was likely not conducted in a scientific fashion. Some of the local hunters think the number of bears are increasing as more move inland in search of food but in actuality they do so simply because they cannot find food close to the floes on the coast and also because the floes are drifting futher apart.

Quote Originally Posted by LOki View Post
    They wouldn't starve OR drown if we hunted them into extinction.
    These are exactly the type of comments that are not required. The point of the OP was to ask how to save the bears, not discuss different ways of killing them.

Once again, how would you propose saving the bears?
    Convert to the BPR - Beer Pizza Religion. Worship at the altar of the beer (or other) babes.

Currently New Delhi, India (at least until I piss off someplace else)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    The question is, how?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/fe..._printout.html

The Arctic is warming at a faster pace than any other part of the world, according to a new report - the most complete evaluation of the Earth's northern cap - released Monday.

A rise in temperature around the North Pole is melting large areas of Arctic ice, causing dramatic weather changes and declines in populations of polar bears and walruses, among other changes, scientists say.

While Arctic warming has been going on for decades and has been studied before, this is the first thorough assessment of the causes and consequences of the trend. The report supports the broad but politically controversial scientific consensus that global warming is caused mainly by heat-trapping greenhouse gases.

"While some historical changes in climate have resulted from natural causes and variations, the strength of the trends and the patterns of change that have emerged in recent decades indicate that human influences, resulting primarily from increased emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, have now become the dominant factor," according the report.

The findings are likely to increase pressure on the Bush administration, which has acknowledged a possible human role in global warming but says the science is still too murky to justify mandatory reductions in greenhouse-gas emissions.

The Arctic Climate Impact Assessment

The Arctic Council, a group made up of Canada, the United States, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark and Iceland, commissioned the 140-page Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA). Nearly 300 scientists worked on the study, as did elders from the native communities in the region.

The group found that the region's temperatures have risen almost 2 degrees Fahrenheit in the last 100 years, which is twice the global average. Average winter temperatures have risen 4 degrees. But in specific areas of Alaska and Russia the temperature changes have been more dramatic - an 11-degree increase in winter temperatures since the 1970s.

The rising temperatures have decreased the amount of the ocean that is covered by ice to the lowest amount ever recorded. The Greenland ice cap and other Arctic glaciers could disappear in summers by 2060-2100, according to scientists, who worry that the resulting rise in ocean levels could cause flooding at ocean coasts all over the world.

Impact on Indigenous peoples

The impact on the people living in the Arctic has been dramatic. Indigenous people report hunters falling through melting sea ice; declining polar bears, walruses, ice-living seals, and reindeer - all primary sources of food; and difficulty traveling in roadless areas where there is no snow for sleds and snowmobiles.

In some more developed areas, the permanently frozen layer of earth -- the permafrost -- has melted, destabilizing buildings and causing roads to crack.

Many young people in the area face increased chances of skin cancers and immune system disorders due to heightened exposure to ultraviolet radiation - estimated at about 30 percent higher than any earlier generation.

"Global warming connects us all," Sheila Watt-Cloutier, a Canadian Inuit who chairs the Inuit Circumpolar Council, told the Los Angeles Times. "The Arctic is the world's health barometer, and the Inuit are the mercury in that barometer."

Why?

Most of the warming is blamed on increased use of fossil fuels like crude oil, natural gas and coal, which create greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gases have increased in the atmosphere by almost 30 percent since the Industrial Revolution. Fossil fuels, which are used in cars, factories and power plants, make up 80 percent of the world's energy use.

The Arctic is especially vulnerable to warming because snow and ice reflect heat and when they melt, the dark ground and water accelerate the warming by absorbing heat.

"The polar regions are essentially the Earth's air conditioner," explained Michael McCracken, president of the International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences. "Imagine the Earth having a less efficient air conditioner."
    Convert to the BPR - Beer Pizza Religion. Worship at the altar of the beer (or other) babes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    The question is, how?
    Again the answer is obvious...take these and call Algore in the morning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    Well no shit sherlock of course she didn't count them all. Do you count every article that comes up on google or yahoo that relates to a topic you post on. I think we should hold you accountable in the future to make sure you are giving us a running count of all articles.

I for one used COMMON sense and realized that "millions" meant a whole lot.

Do you always take everything "literaly"??
    I take it literal when she's making claims of things in context with the term "millions of sites".....