Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Wink, wink. Eye dominance and target sports.

I'm getting my daughter a bow for Christmas, a 62"/20# recurve by razorback. She's been using the simple bow I've had since childhood and this will be her first bow and I look forward to her developing her targeting skills. The issue is she can't wink her left eye, but the tests ive done on her indicate right-eye dominance. The salesman recommends a left-hand drawn bow (shelf on the right) but I think its best to learn to shoot with your dominant eye; which would require her to either shoot with both eyes open, learn to wink her left eye or use an eyepatch. The latter isnt really sustainable though, and quite frankly it's not any fun either, so that's out-- leaving only both eyes open /learn to wink her left eye. I don't know what to do on this-- I know the dominant eye is preferable but I don't want her to be frustrated and possibly lose interest.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

2. Thanks Jeff, Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    I'm getting my daughter a bow for Christmas, a 62"/20# recurve by razorback. She's been using the simple bow I've had since childhood and this will be her first bow and I look forward to her developing her targeting skills. The issue is she can't wink her left eye, but the tests ive done on her indicate right-eye dominance. The salesman recommends a left-hand drawn bow (shelf on the right) but I think its best to learn to shoot with your dominant eye; which would require her to either shoot with both eyes open, learn to wink her left eye or use an eyepatch. The latter isnt really sustainable though, and quite frankly it's not any fun either, so that's out-- leaving only both eyes open /learn to wink her left eye. I don't know what to do on this-- I know the dominant eye is preferable but I don't want her to be frustrated and possibly lose interest.
    Here is the thing on this. Any archer not using sights on their bow, instinctive shooting will use the same eye as they do the hand they pull the string with. A left hand pull if its a natural lefthander will target using left eye but that does not need for the right eye to be closed. I've shot bows most of my life over 53 years shooting and I never close one eye. Its not like sighting down a rifle. I guess its never came up before but I've only ever seen one person that closes an eye when shooting traditional with no sights on the bow. That's my nephew and although I taught him to be very ,very good with guns he isn't that great with a bow. My question is is she a lefty or a righty? Remember its natural and best to use the eye that matches the arm you pull the bow with. If she is right handed buy her a right handed bow. And she will use her right eye to sight down the drawn arrow. Using both eyes lets you judge distance better and view target better. I need a bit more info if you please. how old is she, can she handle 20 or even a 25 lb bow? And do not ever overweight a bow for a beginner. Remember with bow its always best to pull the bow with the arm you write with. Eye dominance is secondary in Archery. --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

4. Thanks Jeff, Gaffer, logroller thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I have been practicing archery since the king mandated that every male must practice on Sundays and I shoot with both eyes open. Like anything else, a lot of practice goes a long way. It seems to me that consistency in how you shoot (stance, holding point, breathing, etc.) have far more impact than eye dominance, etc. My grandson is blind in one eye (born without it ... has a prosthetic to fill in) and he is just learning to shoot. He is right handed for everything EXCEPT shooting. He does just fine. Frankly, unless you knew he only had one eye, you couldn't tell the difference. He has learned to compensate because its the only way of seeing he has ever known.

I pretty much agree with everything Tyr posted but would add that folks (kids especially) can and do learn to adapt quite readily. Shooting with both eyes open should not be a problem ... lack of consistency and practice will make a very poor archer indeed!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

6. Thanks Jeff, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Gaffer, logroller thanked this post