Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Since I got robbed, I've been thinking about using my insurance money to replace my stolen sony vaio with a macbook. I'm slightly uneasy about it because I know windows and have used it all my life, but I've heard such great things about macs and have experienced so much crap with windows that I think it'll be worth learning the new operating system. Any thoughts?

*By the way, I too have installed a computer with "vista" on it and it was clunky, slow and froze-up a lot right out of the box. All of which are things windows is known for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    All of the people that I know, that made that jump, regretted it.
    Never purchase a new windows OS until SR2 comes out. Seriously. I am microsoft certified and I give you this advice for free.

Do not load the first edition of any new windows OS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My brother has a Windows machine that he bought for the same reason but he has gotten to the point where he doesn't want to turn it on. Besides, he is now an instructor for a major airline and spends a great deal of time in their simulators. He does make training films and they are all done on his MAC setup in Final Cut Pro.

A friend just bought a Windows based laptop and it came with Vista installed..... I watched him try to add upgrades to it and was amazed at how much time was wasted and how inefficient it is, reminded me of the Mac commercial with the guy behind PC asking permission to do everything PC wanted to do.

It is a pain at this time because many of the products do not have drivers for the new OS. You have to find them, and in many cases wait for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Since I got robbed, I've been thinking about using my insurance money to replace my stolen sony vaio with a macbook. I'm slightly uneasy about it because I know windows and have used it all my life, but I've heard such great things about macs and have experienced so much crap with windows that I think it'll be worth learning the new operating system. Any thoughts?

*By the way, I too have installed a computer with "vista" on it and it was clunky, slow and froze-up a lot right out of the box. All of which are things windows is known for.
    It won't take much learning. With the dock and the two-button mouse available because of the linux underlay it acts very much like a windows system.

I love the way that XP and MAC work together. XP is very much the best OS by Microsoft so far. Vista, IMO was a quick release to get that 64 bit badge.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by No1tovote4 View Post
    Never purchase a new windows OS until SR2 comes out. Seriously. I am microsoft certified and I give you this advice for free.

Do not load the first edition of any new windows OS.
    Heh. That makes two of us who are Microsoft Certified saying the same thing. I agree on your advice about SR2/SP2 as well, although I also go by a more informal 2 year wait after initial public release before even considering the new OS.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by No1tovote4 View Post
    It won't take much learning. With the dock and the two-button mouse available because of the linux underlay it acts very much like a windows system.

I love the way that XP and MAC work together. XP is very much the best OS by Microsoft so far. Vista, IMO was a quick release to get that 64 bit badge.
    I use a logitech 3 button cordless mouse that I use with my G-4, I never liked the shape of Apple's mice. Although I fooled with their new Mighty Mouse and the little scroll ball is pretty ingenious.

I thought that Microsoft had been working on Vista under some other names for over 5 years, not a very quick release.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use a logitech 3 button cordless mouse that I use with my G-4, I never liked the shape of Apple's mice. Although I fooled with their new Mighty Mouse and the little scroll ball is pretty ingenious.

I thought that Microsoft had been working on Vista under some other names for over 5 years, not a very quick release.
    I use a Microsoft five button mouse.

I sure am glad I started this thread. I was actually contemplating MS Vista. Now, I'll for sure just stick with XP.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I use a Microsoft five button mouse.

I sure am glad I started this thread. I was actually contemplating MS Vista. Now, I'll for sure just stick with XP.
    Wise choice. Normally industry just goes along wiht whatever "latest" edition Microsoft puts out, however with Vista, most industry has said, "no!" The outcry against Vista from the business community was so loud in fact, that manufacturers like Dell ended up putting XP BACK onto their ordering options for business.

I'd guess Vista might be ready for a serious look sometime in 2009, but I don't expect it to make any serious inroads until then.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)