Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Sacramento Cabbies Upset Over Proposed Hygiene, Dress Code Requirements

This is kinda funny. But to be honest, I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've gotten in a cab in NYC that stunk like body odor that made you wanna gag. If you're going to expect people to get in and out of your cab all day long, have the decency to not smell like a farm animal!

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — New proposed rules for cab drivers in Sacramento are causing some cabbies to think they’re being taken for a ride.

At a time when competition for cabs has never been more fierce, drivers say the new rules, including a dress code and hygiene guidelines, are just not fair.

Ahmid Mahmoud is fired up about the proposed changes.

“We don’t have rent to pay? We don’t have bills to pay?” he said.

So he’s lining up his fellow drivers to take on City Hall.

The city is considering putting stricter rules in place for Sacramento taxi drivers including:

Making sure vehicles are no more than 8 years old,
    A dress code of a collared shirt and slacks,
    Making it mandatory for all taxis to accept credit cards,
    and a new policy requiring drivers to be hygienically clean.

“That’s very insulting for me, and for all drivers,” Mahmoud said, calling the last requirement unnecessary.

Facing growing competition from web-based rides Uber and the ride-sharing service Lyft, some Sacramento taxi drivers say the proposed cabbie crackdown could put the brakes on their business.

The city calls it good business.

“I want them to be the ambassadors, and be the representatives for our city,” said Dafna Gauthier.

The proposal also calls for drivers to take a cabbie quiz testing their command of the English language.
    http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/...-requirements/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

What could be so unfair, or restrictive as.....A SHOWER? And...DEODORANT???

“That’s very insulting for me, and for all drivers,” Mahmoud said, calling the last requirement unnecessary."

Why not have people REFUSE to get in their cab....if it stinks?

Common sense is all they need. Poor "Mahmoud".
    Last edited by aboutime; 03-20-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Don't see how this is enforceable as cabbies are self employed =/ Not to mention that some odours are pretty much woven into the fabric of someones clothes depending on their lifestyle, as is commonly asserted, westerners smell of sour milk and so on.
    Last edited by Noir; 03-20-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I would love to see a nationwide ordinance against people who stink. Which would be all smokers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Don't see how this is enforceable as cabbies are self employed =/ Not to mention that some odours are pretty much woven into the fabric of someones clothes depending on their lifestyle, as is commonly asserted, westerners smell of sour milk and so on.

Noir. Consider this. You may not be the proper person to discuss this topic with, here.

I wouldn't want to insult, or offend you, talking about such things.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Don't most work for a company??? I know NYC cabbies are awarded medallions, but I would think they also work for some company or other???

I don't see how personally hygiene is such an affront to this guy. I agree that lifestyle will lead to odors (smoking especially), but horrible body odor is something else entirely.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Don't most work for a company??? I know NYC cabbies are awarded medallions, but I would think they also work for some company or other???

I don't see how personally hygiene is such an affront to this guy. I agree that lifestyle will lead to odors (smoking especially), but horrible body odor is something else entirely.

Trigg. Until you visit NYC, and actually take a chance on a TAXI ride cross town. It doesn't matter whether they work for a company or not.

Nothin' like the LITERAL ODOR...of climbing into one. The hardest part is..getting the STENCH (Literally) out of your clothes after the ride.

Not a joke. You have to try it to understand.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Trigg. Until you visit NYC, and actually take a chance on a TAXI ride cross town. It doesn't matter whether they work for a company or not.

Nothin' like the LITERAL ODOR...of climbing into one. The hardest part is..getting the STENCH (Literally) out of your clothes after the ride.

Not a joke. You have to try it to understand.
    Which is why I always rode the subway. As a profession, cab drivers are about as honest and friendly as tow truck drivers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Cabbies in NYC have to be licensed (very expensive), and I believe the competition is tough. A license awarded is also one that can be taken away.

The hygiene rule males sense to me. We riders don't know what we are getting into until we are already seated in the cab. By then, it's not always feasible to get out and find another cab. The collared shirt and slacks seem unnecessary.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A simple daily shower and some deodorant should be standard for everyone, not just taxi drivers. I avoid trains if I can for this reason. People stink. Especially that stale cigarettes and wino stink of someone who's been on an all nighter.

It's a universal thing for cabbies to stink sometimes. It happens in every country I've been in except Egypt, Libya and other African countries where I never got a bad smelling cab.

Just have some respect for others and have a wash before you go out in public. That should be a given.
    اشهد ان لا اله الا الله و اشهد ان محمدا رسول الله

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

The Government will step in a set rules for O/O just like they do in the trucking industry, yes many of the big trucks on the road are owned and operated by there owners but they have more laws thrown at them than they know what to do with, just because you own your own business doesn't mean uncle Sam wont run it for ya.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

12. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I would love to see a nationwide ordinance against people who stink. Which would be all smokers.
    Yep...and I would love to see a nationwide ordinance against stupidity. Which would be all liberals.

I love how this trolling stuff works!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

14. Thanks Jeff, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Gaffer, NightTrain, aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Cab ride is nothing. Try being seated next to one on a very long flight in a plane with no other seats available to demand a seating change!! Pure torture for hours and hours!!! Yet we so often hear how enlightened "certain ones" are from their defenders. How damn enlightened is it to never take a bath!?? --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Cabbies in NYC have to be licensed (very expensive), and I believe the competition is tough. A license awarded is also one that can be taken away. The hygiene rule males sense t me. We riders don't know what we are getting into until we are already seated in the cab. By then, it's not always feasible to get out and find another cab. The collared shirt and slacks seem unnecessary.
    Yeah a uniform is enforceable, but not a 'when was the lat time you showered' bit.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

All this talk of smelly people and transportation brought this to mind.

When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

18. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Jeff thanked this post