Abbey has been here since the board's inception and although she's been interviewed before she was kind enough to entertain another series of questions.

You've been a member of more than one message board I presume, so what sets Debatepolicy apart?

Other boards I’d been on were too narrow in focus. DP goes all over the spectrum of topics. The board owner is very hands-on, involved himself in posting, and completely approachable. Despite a few rough periods, we are a nicer board than many others.
The crazies tend to move on. After all these years, we are like a family in some ways.

Information overload, made famous by Alvin Toffler in his 1970 book, Future Shock refers to the difficulty one has in making decisions due to the inability to sort through too much information. Do you think this concept applies to politics today?

News seems to be more opinion than fact. That alone makes it very difficult to know what to think. You go where you want for the slant you desire. I get very frustrated with that. One reason I like DP is we generally force each other to provide links and data. Also, the 24/7 nature of news today definitely can cause viewer/reader fatigue. I cycle in and out of paying attention because of this, too (Another reason I love the board). The silver lining is that we can choose our sources as never before.

If you could see any former tv show started again, what would it be?

Cool question! I know I am going to forget a lot of great shows, but here goes off the top of my head. (I can’t name just one).

Sports Night (the comedy, not an actual sports show. Very smart-funny)
Deep Space Nine (yup, the ST that most people dissed).
The Loop (Hysterical!)

Words mean stuff, what's your favorite word and why?
Another cool question! My favorite word is “Smitten”. Which is why it appears always under my name on the Board. Like the best words, it is quite evocative. It packs a whole lot in a small punch, doesn’t it? You can be smitten with a person, a type of food, a place, really anything. And for me at least, it has an overall positive connotation. If your significant other is smitten with you, you are probably very lucky.

What's at the top of your bucket list; why?

I would like to dive in a shark cage around any/all sharks. I love the sea, and love animals. I also think it is a great way to get an adrenaline rush while controlling the danger. I'm not a fan of jumping out of a plane, for example. I consider that too risky and rather pointless.

Several years ago I discovered I was scared of heights. Bear in mind I've worked on three-story roofs and pruned mature trees with no fear whatsoever, but at 33 years-old on the Golden Gate Bridge I was overcome with anxiety and couldn't approach the railing. I was truly shocked. What is your most shocking discovery about yourself?

Not sure this rises to the level of shocking, but I have discovered that I really need to live a distance from neighbors. I've always known that I have high privacy demands, and I am a bit of an Introvert, but for me to have real peace of mind, I don't want to see other people around my property. I'm fine going out and mingling in movies, stores, etc., but when I am home, I like to think that I have quiet and privacy. I need several acres and a gate, I think.

I really enjoy cooking. Mostly for the pleasure I get from feeding others. I believe there is a quintessential truth in the love brought about by breaking bread with others. So important is this, I believe it merits two questions. What's your best dish that you prepare? And what's your most dismal cooking/serving experience?

My family tells me it my own French Toast recipe, but I think it is my Lime and Panko Crusted Turkey Cutlets.

Dismal experience: Probably when I had my In-laws over for Thanksgiving, and the Turkey wasn't done. We had to wait about 2 hours for it, and my FIL was a big food lover and very antsy.

What are the best and worst precedents in American case law?

For the most part, I am responding based on the cases' poor outcomes, not necessarily a lack of good precedent or legal reasoning. It has been too many years since law school to go the latter routes, lol.

1. Marbury v Madison - Set us up to allow partisan judges/courts to override the will of the people.
Jefferson said it best:
"You seem to consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions; a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy. Our judges are as honest as other men, and not more so. They have, with others, the same passions for party, for power, and the privilege of their corps.... Their power [is] the more dangerous as they are in office for life, and not responsible, as the other functionaries are, to the elective control. The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal, knowing that to whatever hands confided, with the corruptions of time and party, its members would become despots. It has more wisely made all the departments co-equal and co-sovereign within themselves."

Little of the worst case law would have theoretically been possible were it not for Marbury.

2. Kelo v City of New London
Oh my, one of the ugliest decisions imaginable to anyone who believes in the concept of private property. This is the case where it was decided that real property can be taken from one private citizen and given to another, if it would be economically favorable to the municipality. Lenin and Mao would be so proud!

3. Roe v Wade
Well, well, well, you knew I would go there I am sure. I clearly recall studying this in law school, at a time when I was pro-choice :-(. And thinking, this decision is not based on anything actually in the Constitution, or close to it even. Watching our Con Law professor twist and turn to make it fit various Amendments was a trip. At the time I was pretty darn good at analyzing cases, and coupled with my political views, I was not interested in disagreeing with the Professor's analysis in this case. Yet, there it was- a very poor decision, that backed-into a Constitutional justification. In terms of catastrophic loss, I doubt there is a case in modern history that compares. It is a bit of consolation, that Ms. Roe has come out to say that she was manipulated, and regrets her participation. Which brings us back full circle to why Marbury was bad for us.

I think I will pass on the best cases for now.

Last, but certainly not least, what is your proudest accomplishment?

Taking (and passing, thank goodnesss) 2 different State Bar exams in 3 days, and then receiving a notice from the Pennsylvania examiners that I scored so highly on the multiple choice sections, that they did not have to read my essays.

I know that it is fashionable to say that your children are your greatest accomplishment, but: 1. My husband played a big part, and 2. I give children 50% of the credit for how they turn out. So, though I am extremely proud of our daughter, she is not really "my" accomplishment.

Excellent answers. As always you show grace and wisdom. Thank you for sharing yourself with the rest of us, not just in this interview but over the years.