Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Default More Alaska Pics

It's been a few years since I posted some of my pics from around the State, so I figured I'd upload a few.

I work for a telecom company and we frequently bounce all over in helicopters building & maintaining cellular networks, microwave networks, satellite shots, repeaters, that sort of thing. It's a fun job just because I'm always going somewhere new - a desk job is my version of hell.

That's not to say that there hasn't been some hellish jobs in shitty areas that really sucked, but on the whole we have fun and enjoy it.

Many of the sites are on mountaintops or remote islands with nothing but raw wilderness all around for many miles. We'll set up a camp and do our thing, sometimes for a few weeks, and when we're done the helicopter will come pick us up and take us back to civilization.

We're always heavily armed, because we like bacon almost as much as bears do. While we're prepared for it, rarely do we see any bears and they usually keep a respectful distance. Shooting .375s and .460s when we set up camp seems to work wonders for alerting the critters in the area that coming into camp would be a bad idea.

When I'm not working, usually we go to the cabin, 20 miles up the Talkeetna River from the town of Talkeetna, which is accessible only by jet boat or snowmachine, depending on the season.

This pic was taken about 10 miles from my house, that's me. The German Shepard on the left is our dog, Frost. The chocolate Lab is Truffles, a friend of mine's dog. They're both wickedly smart and great dogs. There's some good trout and salmon fishing behind me, this is Jim Creek.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum