Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Republican Candidates Begin Snubbing Bush

Republican Candidates Begin Snubbing Bush

By: David Paul Kuhn and Jonathan Martin
    Jun 18, 2007 05:52 PM EST

A president with dismal approval ratings and a bitter intraparty rupture over immigration are obvious problems for Republican politicians.

In recent days, however, the combination is emerging as something less obvious: an opportunity.

Recent polls have shown Bush's popularity -- which has long been in the tank with independents -- suffering significant erosion even among GOP base voters, largely due to a backlash over the president's stance on immigration.

The decline, according to some Republican strategists, has flashed a green light for lawmakers on Capitol Hill and presidential candidates to put distance between themselves and an unpopular president -- a politically essential maneuver for the 2008 general election that remained risky as long as Bush retained the sympathies of Republican stalwarts.

Now that those sympathies have somewhat cooled, the effects are visible: Republican House members upset about immigration policy have spoken of Bush in disparaging terms. And presidential contenders like Rudy Giuliani are striking change-the-course themes in their rhetoric, even while continuing to back Bush over the Iraq war.

The change, say GOP operatives, is the absence of fear about being perceived as something less than an ardent Bush backer. "What's the penalty now, Karl being mad at you?" Republican pollster Tony Fabrizio asked with a laugh, referring to Bush political adviser Karl Rove. "Who cares? Even his former chief strategist (Matthew Dowd) walked away from him and pissed all over him."

For candidates trying to woo right-leaning primary voters -- while also trying to show the broader electorate that they are not simply a rubber-stamp for Bush -- immigration has become a well-timed issue over which to break with an unpopular incumbent. "It presents the Republican presidential candidates with a helpful opportunity to separate themselves," said GOP consultant John Brabender. "It shows independence, that they're not in step with the current administration, and it plays toward conservative voters."

More... http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0607/4538.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Republican candidates snub Bush

A president with dismal approval ratings and a bitter intraparty rupture over immigration are obvious problems for Republican politicians.

In recent days, however, the combination is emerging as something less obvious: an opportunity.

Recent polls have shown Bush's popularity -- which has long been in the tank with independents -- suffering significant erosion even among GOP base voters, largely due to a backlash over the president's stance on immigration.

The decline, according to some Republican strategists, has flashed a green light for lawmakers on Capitol Hill and presidential candidates to put distance between themselves and an unpopular president -- a politically essential maneuver for the 2008 general election that remained risky as long as Bush retained the sympathies of Republican stalwarts.

Now that those sympathies have somewhat cooled, the effects are visible: Republican House members upset about immigration policy have spoken of Bush in disparaging terms. And presidential contenders like Rudy Giuliani are striking change-the-course themes in their rhetoric, even while continuing to back Bush over the Iraq war.

The change, say GOP operatives, is the absence of fear about being perceived as something less than an ardent Bush backer. "What's the penalty now, Karl being mad at you?" Republican pollster Tony Fabrizio asked with a laugh, referring to Bush political adviser Karl Rove. "Who cares? Even his former chief strategist (Matthew Dowd) walked away from him and pissed all over him."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0607/4538.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

GW:

1. President Bush's popularity hasn't tanked as precipitously as Congress'
    2. President Bush's popularity hasn't tanked as precipitously as Billy Clinton's did when he was a lame duck.
    3. Many Republicans who are fed up with President Bush are so because he is not behaving like a Conservative. Not because he is a lying, adulterous intern-harasser.
    3. What will you do when President Bush is no longer in the White House to be your whipping boy?
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 06-19-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    GW:

2. President Bush's popularity hasn't tanked as precipitously as Billy Clinton's did when he was a lame duck.
    3. Many Republicans who are fed up with President Bush are so because he is not behaving like a Conservative. Not because he is a lying, adulterous intern-harasser.
    3. What will you do when President Bush is no longer in the White House to be your whipping boy?
    I'll be very, very glad when Mr. Bush is no longer in charge.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    GW:

They will find another Republican leader to attack and blame all their problems on.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GW in Ohio View Post
    I'll be very, very glad when Mr. Bush is no longer in charge.
    Given his immigration policies, I can't say I disagree at this point. Though we will go from the frying pan into the fire if any of the current Dems are elected. Do you like his immigration policies?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

did i miss something, since when id disagreeing on policy equate to snubbing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    did i miss something, since when id disagreeing on policy equate to snubbing?
    It boild down to this I guess...

...said GOP consultant John Brabender. "It shows independence, that they're not in step with the current administration, and it plays toward conservative voters."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If Bush is selling us down the toilet with liberal legislation then yes, the GOP is going to distance themselves.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just read about a poll today showing that DEMOCRATS don't even support amnesty for illegals as Bush does.

Now THAT, my friends, should be a signal. To someone. Somewhere.

But apparently not the White House.
    America: White people footing the bill for a party they're not allowed to attend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it is wise strategy. And personally, I think Bush knows exactly what is going on, he is saving the republican party. This immigration thing was just perfect tipping point. Without this, it would have been somewhat hard for republicans to distance themselves from him, now, they can do it easily and imho, have a better chance of republicans winning in 2008.

It matters not what happens to Bush. The other things we don't agree with, like spending, his sometimes ambigious Iraq plan, are necessary in the long run to ensure this countries survival, IMHO. However, many disagree, including both dems and repubs (myself at times too). How to distance yourself from that if you are a republican candidate? Not that easy. With immigration, very, very easy.

*puts tinfoil hat down*

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    I think it is wise strategy. And personally, I think Bush knows exactly what is going on, he is saving the republican party. This immigration thing was just perfect tipping point. Without this, it would have been somewhat hard for republicans to distance themselves from him, now, they can do it easily and imho, have a better chance of republicans winning in 2008.

It matters not what happens to Bush. The other things we don't agree with, like spending, his sometimes ambigious Iraq plan, are necessary in the long run to ensure this countries survival, IMHO. However, many disagree, including both dems and repubs (myself at times too). How to distance yourself from that if you are a republican candidate? Not that easy. With immigration, very, very easy.

*puts tinfoil hat down*
    I don't know Yurt... I really don't think that's his strategy. I think bush is a true globalist, and for some reason, he just doesn't think we even NEED a border with mexico. I think if he had his way, we'd just throw open BOTH our borders, south and north.

I wish I could have seen this coming, because I voted for the bastard and now regret it. He'd rather help a mexican than an American.