Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

The father of the exchanged American is white, but appears to speak fluent Arabic and has what looks like a Muslim-style beard. He spoke to his son via the media in Arabic, and claims it was because his son has trouble with English. I suspect there is something more to this story that will surface later.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Drummond, aboutime, Gaffer, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    First the positives. Bringing him home is fricking awesome!!! I hope this guy gets a heroes welcome and parades galore, not to mention a few medals for what he had to endure for so long.

But I don't think people realize that this administration broke the law in doing so. They released 5 terrorists, one of which was at the very least responsible for hundreds and hundreds of deaths. Any type of release from Guantanomo is supposed to be brought to Congress within 30 days of any release. They outright avoided this and admitted they did so purposely. Now 5 guys who have killed hundreds/thousands of Shiite Muslims are on the loose. These aren't soldiers being given back as far as a "prisoner transfer" - these people are TERRORISTS.

LAW BROKEN: CONGRESS NOT NOTIFIED OF GITMO SWAP

Amid jubilation Saturday over the release of U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl from captivity by the Taliban, senior Republicans on Capitol Hill said they were troubled by the means by which it was accomplished, which was a deal to release five Afghan detainees from the military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Top Republicans on the Senate and House armed services committees went so far as to accuse President Obama of having broken the law, which requires the administration to notify Congress before any transfers from Guantanamo are carried out.

“Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl’s release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans. Our terrorist adversaries now have a strong incentive to capture Americans. That incentive will put our forces in Afghanistan and around the world at even greater risk,” House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard P. McKeon (R-Calif.) and the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, James M. Inhofe (Okla.), said in a joint statement.

Lawmakers were not notified of the Guantanamo detainees’ transfer until after it occurred.

The law requires the defense secretary to notify relevant congressional committees at least 30 days before making any transfers of prisoners, to explain the reason and to provide assurances that those released would not be in a position to reengage in activities that could threaten the United States or its interests.

Before the current law was enacted at the end of last year, the conditions were even more stringent. However, the administration and some Democrats had pressed for them to be loosened, in part to give them more flexibility to negotiate for Bergdahl’s release.

A senior administration official, agreeing to speak on the condition of anonymity to explain the timing of the congressional notification, acknowledged that the law was not followed. When he signed the law last year, Obama issued a signing statement contending that the notification requirement was an unconstitutional infringement on his powers as commander in chief and that he therefore could override it.

“Due to a near-term opportunity to save Sergeant Bergdahl’s life, we moved as quickly as possible,” the official said. “The administration determined that given these unique and exigent circumstances, such a transfer should go forward notwithstanding the notice requirement.”

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said that the detainees transferred from Guantanamo to Qatar, where they are to stay for at least a year, “are hardened terrorists who have the blood of Americans and countless Afghans on their hands. I am eager to learn what precise steps are being taken to ensure that these vicious and violent Taliban extremists never return to the fight against the United States and our partners or engage in any activities that can threaten the prospects for peace and security in Afghanistan.”

Beyond this individual instance, some raised the larger question of whether it is sound policy for the United States to have, in the words of House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), “negotiated with terrorists.”

Rogers said the action marked a “fundamental shift in U.S. policy.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...bcf_print.html
    Now 5 guys who have killed hundreds/thousands of Shiite Muslims are on the loose. These aren't soldiers being given back as far as a "prisoner transfer" - these people are TERRORISTS.
    Obama sides primarily with the Sunni Muslims.. Giving back these top terrorist commanders was a must so that the Taliban can regain power there now that Obama gives back all that was ever fought for there.
    He broke Federal law to do so but nothing new about that !!!! -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

4. Thanks jimnyc, Drummond, Jeff, Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yikes, first I start hearing that this guy deserted his unit, or gave up his post, and that others have died looking to find this guy. Then I read this:

---

Last email to parents

On June 27, 2009, according to Rolling Stone,[19] Bowe sent a final e-mai*l to his parents: "The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

His email went on to describe his disillusionment in the army: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing shit bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools...I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them...I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting...There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowe_Bergdahl

6. Thanks Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

First, we hear SNOWDEN betraying America, and Americans.

Then, we learn that Obama also betrays America, and Americans.

Followed by Obama, and the Muslim Brotherhood betraying America, and Americans in the defense of A WONDERFUL DESERTER, who should be called a Conscientious Objector in Uniform, who deserted his Military post, placing fellow Americans in danger. ONLY TO BE REWARDED by Obama's dealing with Known TERRORISTS?

Does nobody see anything peculiar here?
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

8. Thanks Drummond, Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see how this benefits the US, or Afghanistan. The American was returned in good health so he wasn't being mistreated anyway and will probably not be an active combatant again. On the other hand, the Taliban have some important people back who will quite likely go on to spread more mischief and death.

The US lost this one, and so did humanity.
    اشهد ان لا اله الا الله و اشهد ان محمدا رسول الله

10. Thanks Gaffer, tailfins thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I think, Jafar, that what we have here is proof that your 'anti-terrorist' stance is at best variable. Seems you're ready to think well of the scum when you can contrive an opportunity to do so.

Consider what the Taliban fight for - IN THE NAME OF ISLAM, BY THE WAY. Consider how they fight. What they do. Their very long list of atrocities, and their LACK of morality about all of that.

But in the face of this ... you can't wait to find a way of seeing that scum in a good light, can you, Jafar ??

EXPLAIN.
    I hate the Taliban and I have made it 100% clear.

Are you proud of the US campaign of torture? Don't you think that the use of torture loses a lot of moral ground?

If you torture your enemy, you are no better than them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jafar00 View Post
    I hate the Taliban and I have made it 100% clear.

Are you proud of the US campaign of torture? Don't you think that the use of torture loses a lot of moral ground?

If you torture your enemy, you are no better than them.

Take your own advice jafar. You torture all of us every time you post here. Propaganda works that way.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

13. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Yikes, first I start hearing that this guy deserted his unit, or gave up his post, and that others have died looking to find this guy. Then I read this:

---

Last email to parents

On June 27, 2009, according to Rolling Stone,[19] Bowe sent a final e-mai*l to his parents: "The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

His email went on to describe his disillusionment in the army: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing shit bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools...I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them...I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting...There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowe_Bergdahl
    We'll find out soon enough. He's going to get a lot a media coverage. If the Taliban flipped him, he won't pass up the opportunity to run his mouth.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

15. Thanks Gaffer, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Don't forget these terrorist were just guys snatched off the street on their way to buy a loaf of bread for their families.

I remember reading long ago about this sgt walking away from his duties. I was wondering when this would be brought up. I thought then that he had pulled a Toad. (see American Graffiti 2) He's no hero, he's a fool.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

17. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Don't forget these terrorist were just guys snatched off the street on their way to buy a loaf of bread for their families.
    A lot of them are/were sent to US concentration camps when they were sold out to settle clan feuds. What better way to get rid of your rival than to tell the American invaders that he is a Taliban?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Take your own advice jafar. You torture all of us every time you post here. Propaganda works that way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I'm glad that the US serviceman was freed. Rather less 'glad' that the Taliban have gained from it, though.

It's 'interesting', isn't it. There are those on the Left who'll carp on about how unjust the very fact of the detention centre in Gitmo is. That those incarcerated are unfairly kept there, that unless they're tried in a court of law, they must be presumed 'innocent'.

Yes, well, in that case, the Taliban have acted purely out of humanitarian motives, because they're such 'great people' .. eh ???

So, come on ! Isn't there one Leftie out there who'll applaud what the Taliban have accomplished in freeing those Afghanis ??
    Innocent until proven guilty is the cornerstone of our justice system. After all, otherwise, I can just say you're a terrorist, and demand that you prove you're not. Oh, and btw, that will mean denouncing your extremist views of Margaret Thatcher. Since you cannot prove a negative, and I can pick out what I believe to be extremist views of your in relation to Ms. Thatcher, I win. Oh yeah, and you're not allowed to refute me, call anyone in to defend you, or even see the inside of a court. So, you're a terrorist, right?

Of course not, and no rational person would think otherwise. It would make my argument look insanely weak, and of course, a person has a right to defend themselves against accusations. That's an inherent right, meaning that is the right of everyone, not just american citizens.

Most of these prisoners were picked up while firing at us, it would not have been hard to prove that they were enemy soldiers trying to harm us, and hold them by above-board legal means until their execution. So why didn't we? Because we wanted to use torture to get answers out of people, and so we had to dehumanize them somehow. Nevermind that most of the methods used ensure that we're going to get a ton of lies and misinformation that keep us looking in the wrong places, we got lucky once or twice, so it works.

Oh, and Obama couldn't have "illegally" released anyone from Gitmo. We ensured that when we took them into custody in a manner that would've been bounced out of even military courts, and thus, the only legal thing to do is release them. As we have been detaining them in a manner that violates our own laws, morals, and basic human rights we say we believe in. Moral strength and integrity can only be shown when they are tested, and as long as we continue to surrender to abject hatred, we are losing that test.

Now, again, no issue for us to just execute them through the legal system. Most of these guys were known for what they did, and we had evidence to such point. So basically, we had every ability to get rid of these menaces permanently, but we fucked it up in the name of petty vengeance, and now we've been put into the position of them as bargaining chips.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

21. Thanks fj1200 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Default Bergdahl Before Capture: I'm Ashamed to Be American

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    The father of the exchanged American is white, but appears to speak fluent Arabic and has what looks like a Muslim-style beard. He spoke to his son via the media in Arabic, and claims it was because his son has trouble with English. I suspect there is something more to this story that will surface later.
    AS you said Ms. Abbey there would be more to come.

With Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl safe after five years as a prisoner of the Taliban, the circumstances of his capture are getting a fresh look.

Bergdahl was freed by on Saturday in exchange for five Guantanamo Bay detainees. His release was celebrated by Washington politicians, including Republicans, but many felt the United States had broken its longstanding policy of not negotiating with terrorists.

Bergdahl walked away from his base, reportedly without a weapon, in June 2009 and was captured by the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani network

Here is where it gets good.

According to a 2012 report in Rolling Stone, Bergdahl, now 28, had become disillusioned with his role in America's longest war, sending emails to his parents prior to his disappearance.

"The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong," Bergdahl reportedly wrote his father. "I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american (sic). The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

He also attacked the army saying it cut down people "for being honest," and rewarded sycophants. "The title of US soldier is just the lie of fools," he wrote. "I am sorry for everything here.

"These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live.
    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Ber.../02/id/574506/
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

23. Thanks Abbey Marie, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Default Hero or Traitor?

Lots more to the story:

Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero

(CNN) -- The sense of pride expressed by officials of the Obama administration at the release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is not shared by many of those who served with him -- veterans and soldiers who call him a deserter whose "selfish act" ended up costing the lives of better men.
    "I was pissed off then and I am even more so now with everything going on," said former Sgt. Matt Vierkant, a member of Bergdahl's platoon when he went missing on June 30, 2009. "Bowe Bergdahl deserted during a time of war and his fellow Americans lost their lives searching for him."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/ber...html?hpt=us_c2

Hearing a lot of the same from some of the guys who were over there at the time he was "captured" including some of those who were in his unit and the unit that replaced them. I find it interesting that members of the unit were required to sign non-dislosure agreements back then as well.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

25. Thanks Gaffer, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jafar00 View Post
    I don't see how this benefits the US, or Afghanistan. The American was returned in good health so he wasn't being mistreated anyway and will probably not be an active combatant again. On the other hand, the Taliban have some important people back who will quite likely go on to spread more mischief and death.

The US lost this one, and so did humanity.
    I agree, and more so if the chuckling I am hearing about this guy turns out to be true. I have very little doubt that these terrorists released will be back to their "duties" within a year or so. It's great that we got an American soldier back, that's always awesome. But not so if he hated America and bailed on his comrades and such and was an indirect reason for other deaths.

27. Thanks Gaffer thanked this post