Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Done Apologizing For Israel

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-...b_5606650.html

Rabbi Menachem CreditorBecome a fanEditor, 'Peace in Our Cities: Rabbis Against Gun Violence'

I'm Done Apologizing for Israel

Posted: <time datetime="2014-07-21T16:52:07-04:00" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">07/21/2014 4:52 pm EDT </time>Updated: <time datetime="2014-07-21T16:59:03-04:00" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">07/21/2014 4:59 pm EDT

</time>I'm done apologizing for Israel.
    It's tiring to apologize over and over. Instead, I've decided to come clean: I am a progressive American rabbi who leans left pretty hard. I've been engaged, as a US faith leader, in work to reform gun laws, extend LGBT rights around the world, grant refuge to illegal immigrants, protect women's reproductive choice, and more. Paint me blue.
    So, when it comes to Israel, many of those with whom I engage in social reform expect me to react to Israel's military actions in Gaza with scorn and criticism. To be fair, there are times when I do. My Zionism demands I speak out on behalf of the Israel that remains, in my world-view, the most ambitious project-in-process of the Jewish People. Whereas Israel's 66 short years have witnessed strength and resilience that have redefined Jewish identity in profound ways, the global Jewish family remains interwoven with Israel. If you question this, scan the last week's news for anti-Israel rallies in Antwerp, Los Angeles, Paris, Boston, and elsewhere that featured widespread anti-Semitic chants and violence against Jews.
    So I'm a progressive US faith leader. I'm a Zionist in Berkeley, CA. I'm a Jew in the world, worried for my family. So here is my response to those criticizing Israel this week.
    To those who suggest that Prime Minister Netanyahu is over-reacting to the missiles, I offer this response which I have now shared regularly at campus and communal conversations:
    Israel is treating wounded Palestinians during this conflict, risking Israeli lives in surgical strikes to destroy weapons-smuggling tunnels created with building materials Israel allowed into Gaza for infrastructure projects to benefit Palestinian society. Just for a moment, consider the deaths that would result from Israel wishing harm on Palestinian civilians. In just the last 48 hours, Israel has allowed over 10 tons of goods into Gaza. During the past weeks, Israel has agreed to two humanitarian cease-fires. In the first hours of those ceasefires, Hamas rained down over 70 missiles onto Israel civilians.
    I ask: What do Israel's enraged critics truly desire? How is it possible to hear indignant claims of human rights violations in the context of Syrians slaughtered by the hundreds of thousands, state-sanctioned terrorism around the globe, and young immigrants treated like chattel by the US and other? Israel is doing its best, sacrificing its own children to preserve the lives of Palestinians.
    I also ask, regarding the world's seemingly acceptance of Hamas' tactics as the only remaining option left for a desperate leadership:
    Were Hamas to truly lead its people forward to a life of stability and peace, wouldn't it use building materials for schools instead of smuggling tunnels? Wouldn't Hamas stop stockpiling weapons in mosques and transporting them in UN ambulances? Wouldn't Hamas stop firing missiles from civilian population centers if it valued Palestinian lives as much as Israel does? If Israel weren't so concerned for Palestinian lives, wouldn't it respond to Hamas' horrific decisions in kind?
    I ask the enraged critics of Israel's defensive responses to Hamas: Would you have us not respond to this monstrosity? Do you think it's not worth losing the PR battle to retain our humanity and save as many lives as possible? What country would stand by when thousands of terrorist missiles assault its citizens? I, a Jew, have lost 20 of my sons in the last three days, because I will not lose my humanity and stage a careless ground war in Gaza that would cause mass casualties. Though I fight monsters, I will not become one.
    My response has changed these last few weeks, in which three Jewish teens were murdered by Arab terrorists and Palestinians celebrated by distributing sweets to children and an Arab teen was murdered by Jewish terrorists and the Jewish world condemned the hatred. I am done trying to apologetically explain Jewish morality. I am done apologizing for my own Jewish existence.
    Some will call this needless hyperbole. But, having watched in this last week anti-Semitic "die-ins" in Boston, violent assaults against Jews in Los Angeles and Antwerp, and an almost pogrom at a synagogue in Paris, I'm done mincing my own words.
    We will do what we must to protect our people. We have that right. We are not less deserving of life and quiet than anyone else.
    No more apologies.

Amen

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Gaffer, Drummond, aboutime, Jeff, NightTrain and 5 others thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Excellent !
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-22-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

4. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Touch Israel and incur God's wrath.

Zechariah 2:8

<small style="color:#999999;">Viewing the King James Version.</small>

For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

6. Thanks SassyLady, Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Empty words when those so called surgical strikes result in this...

Blatant targeting of civilians is inhuman. They treat Palestinians, especially those in Gaza as less than insects.
    اشهد ان لا اله الا الله و اشهد ان محمدا رسول الله

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

There is no need to apologize in the first place. The Israelis have the right to defend themselves. So does the opposition.
    I have no qualms about anything that happens in the Middle East, as long as the U.S. is not involved in any manner. Both sides in this conflict are quite able to take care of themselves. I see no reason for the U.S. to take either side.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jafar00 View Post

Blatant targeting of civilians is inhuman. They treat Palestinians, especially those in Gaza as less than insects.

And, in your unfettered support for Hamas. You applaud such photos because of your terribly sick, hate filled, miserable ignorance you brag about so much.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

10. Thanks Gaffer, SassyLady, Drummond, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

It is indeed the sad result of the Palestinians using children as human shields.

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    There is no need to apologize in the first place. The Israelis have the right to defend themselves. So does the opposition.
    I have no qualms about anything that happens in the Middle East, as long as the U.S. is not involved in any manner. Both sides in this conflict are quite able to take care of themselves. I see no reason for the U.S. to take either side.
    Either the US is an ally of Israel or it isn't.
    Last edited by tailfins; 07-22-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    It is indeed the sad result of the Palestinians using children as human shields.

Either the US is an ally of Israel or it isn't.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Jafar, this breaks my heart and makes me hate the Palestinians even more for putting their children at risk in the first place.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

14. Thanks Gaffer, NightTrain, Drummond, Jeff, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

equally - maybe more? disturbing:

Islamic Terrorists raise terrorists. Hamas - and other groups - blatantly attack from within "civilian" populations. For all we know the pic of that child is a fraud - or unrelated to the fighting. Terrorists have used all sorts of BS propaganda pics...

http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/07/15...graphic-video/

http://www.israelifrontline.com/2014...asualties.html
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

16. Thanks Drummond, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    equally - maybe more? disturbing:

Islamic Terrorists raise terrorists. Hamas - and other groups - blatantly attack from within "civilian" populations. For all we know the pic of that child is a fraud - or unrelated to the fighting. Terrorists have used all sorts of BS propaganda pics...

http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/07/15...graphic-video/

http://www.israelifrontline.com/2014...asualties.html
    I could post these all day. Many areas infect their brains from the time they can learn, and teach them that Jews are infidels and are evil and should die. Go to Youtube and look up Palestinian Mickey Mouse. They use the little fella to teach all kinda of hate, and blame it all on the Jews. Here's an example of one of their brainwashing techniques...

MUST WATCH!!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X8fRMqWOBuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Thanks darin, NightTrain, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    They were kids playing Soccer on the beach! How the hell can you call them human shields or terrorists? You are making excuses for Israel to commit such horrors.
    اشهد ان لا اله الا الله و اشهد ان محمدا رسول الله

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

They were kids playing Soccer on the beach! How the hell can you call them human shields or terrorists? You are making excuses for Israel to commit such horrors.
    Were they? How do you know this?

Were there any terrorists around using this kid as a human shield when the event occurred? We've seen the videos of Hamas calling for civilians to be human shields, it looks like proof to me.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

21. Thanks Gaffer, red state, Drummond, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You really think Israel can live with this without taking them out once and for good?

23. Thanks Gaffer, Nukeman, Drummond, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Were they? How do you know this?

Were there any terrorists around using this kid as a human shield when the event occurred? We've seen the videos of Hamas calling for civilians to be human shields, it looks like proof to me.
    Read the rest of the page at the link at the bottom. Hamas terrorists convincing civilians to be shields, and civilians wanting to be shields.

Hamas TV:
    Dead Gaza civilians privileged to have died this way

"These people [Gaza civilians killed in war]
    - their time had come, and they were martyred.
    They have gained [Paradise]...
    Don't be disturbed by these images...
    He who is Martyred doesn't feel...
    His soul has ascended to Allah."
    [Al-Aqsa TV (Hamas), July 20, 2014]

Hamas is trying to both justify and console Gaza's population over the many civilian deaths it has caused in the Gaza war. While broadcasting gruesome pictures of dead civilians, including children, a TV host explained that since in Islam a person's time of death is predetermined by Allah, the people who have been killed in the recent fighting have actually "gained": They would have died now anyway, but now they will receive the rewards of Martyrdom - Shahada - in Paradise

The following are the words of the Hamas TV host, referring to the civilians who died in the Gaza war as "having gained," followed by the words of the former Palestinian Authority Minister of Religious Affairs, who explains the ideology of Martyrdom in Islam.

Hamas TV: Dead Gaza civilians gained Paradise: "The enemy has killed us and we are Martyrs"

Hamas TV host: "Every soul has its time. These people - their time had come, and they were Martyred (i.e., Gaza civilians killed in war). They have gained [Paradise]. They have nothing in this world, especially in the Gaza Strip. There's no life in the Gaza Strip. What life can we have in the Gaza Strip? Being with Allah is better. Being with Allah is better. What we see is very hard but we won't surrender, Allah willing. The first to say it are the Martyrs' family. The first to say it are the Martyrs' mothers and fathers... Don't be disturbed by these images. He who was killed this way doesn't feel. By Allah, he does not feel. These are not my words, but the words of our beloved Prophet [Muhammad]: He who is Martyred doesn't feel. Only we suffer by these images. By Allah, [the Martyr] doesn't feel. His soul has ascended to Allah. His soul is with the Lord. His soul is inside a green bird. He is with Allah now. He is in Paradise. Only we suffer by these images... In other cities, in other countries, thousands die in earthquakes, floods, plane crashes, in ferry or shipwrecks, in natural or unnatural disasters. Thousands die. Thousands die but we don't know what their fate is with Allah. But we [in Gaza] are Martyrs. The enemy has killed us and we are Martyrs."

[Al-Aqsa TV (Hamas), July 20, 2014]

PA Minister of Religious Affairs Mahmoud Al-Habbash:

"After prophecy and righteousness there is no status Allah has exalted more than Shahada (Martyrdom)... ''And think not of those who have been killed in Allah's way as dead. Nay, they are alive (and) are provided sustenance from their Lord.'
    Allah forbade us to consider them [the Shahids (Martyrs)] as dead or to speak of them as being dead... They went smiling to their deaths... The Shahid has merit with Allah, a merit that no one else has... No one - not even the righteous - yearns to return to this world after death. Only Shahids. Why? Because they see the great honor Allah has prepared for them. One of them aspired to return to this world in order to be killed again, in order to die as a Shahid yet again... Allah spoke with one of them (a Shahid), Jabir ibn Abdullah... After all he saw in Paradise, he wanted to return and be killed [again] in order to taste the pain of death a second time. Abdullah said to Him:
    'Lord, then tell those who follow us about what we have found.'
    Allah Himself is conveying to us the message from the Shahids. The prophets convey Allah's message and Allah conveys the message of the Shahids. What kindness!
    'The Shahid - his sins are forgiven with the first gush of his blood from his wound...
    The Shahid advocates on behalf of 70 members of his family, and saves them all from hell. The Shahid lives together with the prophets and the righteous ones.'
    When they threatened Yasser Arafat, [he said] 'You threaten me with death?
    I yearn to die! I come only to it; I seek only it.'

We will never reach the level of the prophets. We won't. So let us reach the level of the Shahids. I say to you, brothers, as the Prophet [Muhammad] said: 'He who honestly seeks Shahada, Allah will give him the status of the Shahids, even if he dies in his bed.'"

[Official PA TV, Nov. 8, 2013]

Rest here: http://palwatch.org/main.aspx?fi=157&doc_id=12117

25. Thanks Drummond, NightTrain, Jeff thanked this post