Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Should I get a kitten?

I know I ask this all the time, and end up doing nothing, but it's nagging me again. I'm dying to get a little guy, about 8 weeks and the cutest one I can find. I was thinking about visiting the local humane society and saving the life of just a regular 'ol kitten. Originally I wanted a Savannah, Siamese or another exotic cat. I think now just getting a local kitten is the best idea.

Of course my wife will disown me, but I think she was leaning that way anyway! She'll be mad about having to spend money, so I'll not only pay the fees, then a donation, then get 2 litter boxes and then get a years worth of food in case she gets mad.

Here is one that their website says is available. I love black cats, and they don't get adopted as often, so I'll hopefully be saving one for real!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Well, you only go around once, Jim. If you want one, then go get one! Wifey will get over it, and besides, I've never seen any woman that can resist a kitten.

We have a cat, it's the avatar in NT's Girl's pic. She's cool, but does normal cat things like try to catch the Chickadees that are on the feeder out on the deck. And she pisses me off when she catches Dragonflies that mob my yard eating mosquitoes - just one Dragonfly eats between 30 and hundreds of mosquitoes per day, so every one she catches is more to chew on me.

People say declawing is inhumane... and maybe it is, but a clawed cat will tear up furniture with the whole sharpening of claws thing that every cat will do. Declawed is better in my book - it's either that, or it won't be in my house. My furniture takes enough of a beating from teenagers as it is.

And I'll never have another male cat. We had one that sprayed my favorite leather jacket because it was pissed at me for taking the family on vacation - my sister came over and fed & watered him, but he got revenge on me for taking the family away for a month. Yes, cats do seek revenge. I had to throw that jacket away, and he almost got snuffed over that incident.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

3. Thanks jimnyc, Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Mine would only be indoors, so no worries about outside and bugs. For that fact, I don't go out either, so bugs REALLY aren't an issue!

Damage, claws, spraying... It's a double edge sword. You know these things going in. I "might" think about declawing, but I hate to see an animal suffer. I watched a cat of mine years ago walk around, stumble and bleed a bit from it. It was a tad comical to watch him try and climb things and fall for a bit, but that's the bastard in me laughing!

I've learned various tricks over the years to help with the scratching and appropriately using the litter box. The one that does scare me is the spraying. Yep, losing an item sucks, but even worse if they spray furniture or the carpet and you can't get rid of it. Usually you can clean them, but it can be costly. I figure a little bit is the cost of business to own something that will give you endless smiles.

And revenge, and getting what they want? I caught my cat SO many times doing weird shit. For starters, my last cat would sit on my dresser or desk early in the morning, knock shit onto the ground and then quick look at me for a response. I used to sit there with my eyes closed. A few times she caught me peeking or giggling and she would then quick jump on the bed and do the purring and nose cuddling like she's a little angel. Another one I had, a male cat, would sit outside my bedroom door if I didn't let him in with me. He would actually howl, like he thought he was the king of the jungle, and would do this relentlessly until I let him in. Then after all that he would just walk in goofy little circles around my legs and look up at me like "wassup". And then you have "wilding time". All cats do this, and worse when more than one - and usually very early in the morning or very late at night. The little fuckers will just start tearing around the house, for no reason at all, and everything was the enemy. Bouncing off the walls, the couch and chairs, the bed, bathroom - and they very well may see you from 10 feet away or so, and you see the tail wiggle a bit, and then the butt raise a little in the air, and it's game on with your feet!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Of course you should! Cats rule, dogs drool.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tztGwSyIklw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Jim I have 2 that are 8 weeks old left, both female and cute as hell, I will throw in the litter box LOL
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Go for it. The Mrs. and I picked up two about a month ago. Pissed of the dogs for a couple of weeks, but they got used to them...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll