I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Mick on a recent trip to South Carolina. I wish we had more time to hang out. Charleston was a beautiful area and it was awesome of Mr. Mick to take time out of his schedule to come down and spend a little time with me and my brothers.

I didn't learn a damn thing about the guy as we were too busy drinking beer and ogling at the gals! Well, at least I know I was! So let's see what we didn't learn...

Where did you grow up? Where else have you lived?

Well, I was born in Ohio, I am told I lived there for a year or so before moving to Kingsville, Texas where my dad taught English at what was then Texas A & I (now A & M). When my mom graduated from A & I, she landed a job with Exxon and it was off to Houston. New city, new college for pop… In 1975 mom was transferred to California. We moved to Thousand Oaks, a nice little town north west of Los Angeles. After my folks split, I stayed in California with my dad, eventually living in several cities not far from Thousand Oaks… Simi Valley, Newbury Park, Canoga Park (that’s where I was for the ’94 quake), and finally Camarillo. So I guess you could say I grew up in California.

In 2009 I was laid off of my job of twenty-five and a half years; the same company cut my wife loose on the same day, so we headed to Albuquerque. She had grown up there, sort of, and she has a sister living there. In early 2011 I landed a job with a small but growing company, in 2012 they announced they were moving to South Carolina and asked me to come along. I had no reason not to, the Mrs. Was hating Albuquerque, so here we are in Charleston. And loving it…

Were me and my family as ugly as I described when you were looking for us?

Well, you weren’t sideshow ugly…

Seriously, not at all, but you did describe your motley bunch quite well. I did enjoy meeting you all, having a beer. Next time, and there will be a next time, we’ll have to plan it better and break bread as well. I’m telling you, the pot roast hoagie at that brewery is the best…

What's your favorite tv shows? You have GOT to be a fan of Big Bang Theory, no? Everyone loves Sheldon!

I do enjoy me some Big Bang, haven’t missed an episode.

I am also a fan of House of Lies, Don Cheadle is a talent. Ray Donovan, Liev Schreiber is an actor who will win an Oscar someday, maybe. The Walking Dead, who doesn’t like zombies?

I like beer and a good bar, so Brew Dogs and Best Bars in America are on my record list.

Throw in a little History Channel, some Discovery Channel, Food Network, some HGTV or DIY on the weekends…

Castle. NCIS.

I also enjoy the theatre of the mind. Give me a good book and I won’t talk to anyone for days.

What are some of your pet peeves? For example, I'd like to stab most people I see still driving with a cell phone stuck to their ears, but maybe that's just me. Or when you go to pass a slow driver on the highway and then they speed up so you can't pass them. The pit maneuver would be perfect at that moment!

My wife talks to herself when she’s on the computer. When I respond I get, “Oh no, I wasn’t talking to you.” But I just know the first time I don’t respond to her babbling, it’s going to be the first time she is talking to me and she’s going to be pissed…

Like you, people on their cell phones or texting while driving, they should have their driving privileges revoked.

I like to park out in the boonies. You know, no other cars around, no fear of an errant door or shopping cart hitting your car. Fifty plus empty spaces in any direction… And then when I come out some dumbass has parked right next to me. Still empty spaces everywhere, but he just had to park in the slot next to me. I hate that guy.

And liars.

Sports? Favorites?

I like the NFL. I don’t schedule my Sundays around it, unless the Texans are playing, but if I’m home I’ll tune in. I was a Lakers fan, back in the “Showtime” days… Magic, Kareem, Rambis, Worthy… Nothing like sitting in the Forum back in those days… I have never been a MLB fan.

I do my best to catch the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont every year, but it’s been a while since I caught all three in the same year…

How did you end up on political forums? Something must have initially drew you to want to speak out!

Truthfully? It was an accident. Here’s the story…

When I was a kid, my sister and I would spend the summers in Chillicothe, Ohio with our grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins… You get the picture. Every summer. All three months. It’s a great little town. Still have family there. One day, I discover they have a community message board, so I join. You know, just to see if there’s anyone there I know, or if anyone there knows me or the family (small town, big family). Sure enough, there are some folks that know my family. Fast forward a couple of months and I find out one of the gals has a political message board and a number of these folks are members, so I join Political Nutshell. Maybe a year later the place goes tits up, the owner had better things to do with her money, and some of the “friends” I made there turned me on to USMB. The rest is history…

Overall, I’m not particularly interested in talking politics. Things can get too heated, too personal. No telling how many good people one may never get to know because of politics. And religion. Don’t get me wrong, when I tire of someone’s crap, or if I feel strongly enough about an issue I will speak up, take a stand. I’ll try to stay civil, but sometimes…

What grade would you have given GWB on his presidency? And Obama up until this point?

I voted for Bush. Initially, I would have given him a “B+.” Then came the Patriot Act and Iraq. As I’ve said before, there is nothing patriotic about the Patriot Act. As for Iraq, I was against it. Didn’t see the need at that time. Finish the work in Afghanistan, then if you have to, go on to Iraq. I still would not have been in favor of it, but… So in the end, “B-, C+?” I think he was a good man, I think he did what he thought was in the best interest of the country. I think he is smarter than folks think he is, but so is Dan Quayle.

As for President Obama… That’s a tougher nut to crack. I think he thinks he’s doing what’s best for the country, but I’m pretty sure he doesn’t understand this country or knows what this country wants. This may stem from his multi-cultural upbringing, or he may just be that arrogant. Maybe both. Either way, the last six years remind me a lot of the Carter years. If forced to give the man a grade, I’d have to go with a “D.” I part of me says I’m being too generous. If I am, it’s only because I’d like to think he’s not deliberately trying to trash the country…

And what grade for Hillary?

For what? She wasn’t my Senator. As Secretary of State? Compared to Kerry she gets a solid “A.” Otherwise, “C-“ easy…

And do you think she wins the presidency in 2016?

I don’t see it. After President Obama I think the country is weary, looking for different change. After Bush I think folks are squeamish with the idea of more families in the Big Chair. I guess I could be wrong, I see a lot of folks on the left sporting wood for Hillary… Hey! There’s a campaign slogan! “I’ve Got Wood for Hillary!”

At this stage, who are you eyeing as a hopeful for 2016? Anyone stand out for you?

No one from the GOP has sparked my interest. No one from the DNC has caught my attention. Who knows who the Libertarians will run? I voted Gary Johnson in the last cycle, thought he was the best candidate running. That’s how I vote. My conscience. I gave up the parties years ago, though my first voter’s registration card did say “Republican.”

Do you like Hot Pockets? C'mon, everyone likes Hot Pockets!! If not, what is your kryptonite when the sun sets and in front of the tube?

I liked hot pockets, twenty years ago. Pizza. That’s my kryptonite. Nature’s candy pizza is. Whoa… channeling Yoda… I like a bottle of Mexicoke from time to time. For the uninitiated, that’s the Coke made in Mexico with real sugar, like the old days. M&Ms, the perfect candy… Unless you have something involving sea salt and caramel. Peanuts. I like peanuts. Not the comic strip.

I hate spiders. I need to replace the sensors for my garage door opener, the little things at the bottom of the tracks so it knows the door has closed. I saw a small spider there, but also like 4 big 'ol eggs, or at least that's what it looks like. I saw a video once of someone who hit a spider and thousands of little ones came running out!! LOL So now I'm debating, do I shoot this thing or light it on fire? Do you like spiders? Do you have any phobias?

Burn it, what could possibly go wrong? Wait… Do you own or rent?

I am not a fan of spiders, but I have no real phobia. In fact, except for being on a roof top with a short wall, I can’t say that I have any phobias at all…

Your thoughts on the situation between Israel and Palestine?

I knew this was coming…

Truthfully, I think they need to knock this shit off and start getting along. The reality is, however, this will never happen. Not as long as Hamas continues to follow its charter. At least the part that calls for “the obliteration or dissolution of Israel.”

And let’s be honest, when there is a cease fire, does any one of us, for one second, think Israel is going to be the ones who break it? When you’re dealing with people like that, best to rid the world of their existence. I do not mean the Palestinian people, I mean Hamas.

Jimmy Carter has stated that Hamas was "legitimate". Thoughts?

Good old Jimmy… I think he’s wrong. Then again, Hamas was rightfully elected by the people… But they are a designated terrorist organization… Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. In my mind, as long as they continue on their chosen path, they cannot be considered legitimate.

The recent influx of illegal immigrants. The feds dropping them off around the country. Crime and disease unfortunately has come with this. Your thoughts on the whole thing?

We are a compassionate nation, but we are also a nation of laws. Cliché, to be sure. But it also the truth. I am not unsympathetic to the plight of those coming up from Central America and Mexico, if I were in their shoes I’d probably do the same thing. But I am of the opinion they should be repatriated to their countries of origin. The children to their families. I find it irritating that, when one expresses that viewpoint, he or she is called a bigot, or they are accused of lacking compassion. Really? What about those parents who have essentially thrown their children away? I’m a father, now way, no how do I send my kids thousands of miles without me…

I’ve known many people, had many friends who have immigrated to this country, the legal way. I’ve seen what they go through just to get a green card, not to mention the hoops through which they must jump to become citizens. People jumping the line piss me off. I was opposed to Reagan’s amnesty, I am opposed to Obama’s amnesty (make no mistake, unless those who oppose amnesty make a hell of a noise, it’s coming. And it may still, despite the outcry).

They talk about the need to change the immigration laws of this country, why not try enforcing the ones we have first?

I'm pretty sure that the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to win their 7th SB this year! Do you disagree?

Agree? HELL YES! I’m doubling down on my bets this year!

Are you kidding? I’m a Texans fan, this is their year!

As usual, gotta ask - if there was any one thing you could change about the board, what would it be?

Diversity. We need more lefties. Not the asshole variety… That may be why I don’t post as often as I truly want to, too often DP can be an echo chamber. My impression is that conservatives here far out number the liberals and everyone agrees with everyone else.

They’ll have to be tough, because as you well know, some members here can be relentless in their abuse of folks who hold opposing points of view.

And we should all meet once a year. A DP convention. Someplace central. Las Vegas.

Otherwise, I like DP. I may not always post, but I visit every day. I'd hate to see it get too big, too crazy...