Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Redundant backups

I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive. I keep all of my pictures on there, site backups and 22 gigbytes of MP3's.

My drive died and it appears all is lost. I hate myself for not having a minimum of 2 backups of the personal stuff.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive. I keep all of my pictures on there, site backups and 22 gigbytes of MP3's.

My drive died and it appears all is lost. I hate myself for not having a minimum of 2 backups of the personal stuff.

Jim. You might want to consider using Google to help you get your stuff back. Without knowing it...if you use Google at all, for any reason. Silently, they use their Search Engine advantages to RECORD almost everything you might have had on your hard drive.

I know it sounds kinda crazy. But just about EVERYTHING we type, or add to our personal files...IS RECORDED. Not a JOKE. Honestly.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Jim. You might want to consider using Google to help you get your stuff back. Without knowing it...if you use Google at all, for any reason. Silently, they use their Search Engine advantages to RECORD almost everything you might have had on your hard drive.

I know it sounds kinda crazy. But just about EVERYTHING we type, or add to our personal files...IS RECORDED. Not a JOKE. Honestly.
    Even if this were true - something tells me they wouldn't help me retrieve my missing 18 gigabytes of mp3's!!

I found backups in my safe, but from a LONG time ago. I had some on my master drive. All told, I now have 4 gigabytes out of the 22. I also lost everything DP related, not just all the backups, all the banners ever made, styles, add ons, serials, versions, files. Also everything related to my brothers website, but was more or less backups. I've since done complete backups of both. Also, I save copies of programs that have been downloaded. I suppose I can download most again, but there had to be no less than 100 of them saved. I honestly don't even remember what else.

One good thing did come of it. I found a DVD in my safe I somehow forgot about with tons of pictures from when Jordan was real young, and from a visit to my Dad's in Punta Gorda. Good memories! And certainly good memories I'll want to preserve. Since the pictures are the most important to me - I now have all of them on both my C and D drives, also on a few DVD's and also on a thumb drive that is now taped up and set aside. I want to start saving pictures going forth in a new folder, and I'll do incremental backups going forward. The rest is just data.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Jim, Lois Learner probably wants to know how you did it.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

6. Thanks Jeff, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

Have you considered removing the drive from the enclosure and trying it with another external drive controller? If it has actually failed you will not have really lost anything by disassembling the enclosure and if it works you have a way to get all of the data from the drive.

If the drive is clicking or constantly spinning up and shutting back down you could use Kroll Ontrack's data recovery services but they are pretty pricey.
    Last edited by BoogyMan; 09-02-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Crap, man... that really sucks!

I'm sure you're aware, but you can take that down to a shop and have them pull that data off for you.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    Have you considered removing the drive from the enclosure and trying it with another external drive controller? If it has actually failed you will not have really lost anything by disassembling the enclosure and if it works you have a way to get all of the data from the drive.

If the drive is clicking or constantly spinning up and shutting back down you could use Kroll Ontrack's data recovery services but they are pretty pricey.
    Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Crap, man... that really sucks!

I'm sure you're aware, but you can take that down to a shop and have them pull that data off for you.
    I should have updated this thread earlier, but it's been a weird and busy week.

So I bought a new HDD to place in the external enclosure. I placed it in there and turned it on - only to hear the same clanking noise. Having done this for over 20 years, usually clanking coming from a HDD is fatal. So I was like WTF? So I put the new drive internally in my computer, and I was able to allocate/format and use no problem. So of course my next step was to put my OLD drive internally, and damn if the SOB doesn't work without any issue at all. Turns out the entire issue was the external case itself. While this sucks, as the "Rocketfish" case is awesome and gives you extra USB ports and card readers, I'll take the HDD over that in this case.

So yes, I retrieved ALL of my data!! And of course now I have 2 extra internal drives, one being my original external. I now have triplicate backups of everything. I also used 4 DVD's to backup ALL of my music. I also have the last 10 backups of DP on DVD, as well as in triplicate on my machine, as well as up on the hosts server. Outside the backups, I also now have back all of the images, sounds, banners and everything else I had saved since 2003 related to websites.

But MOST importantly, I had a small folder of pictures, of Mom. I had not even realized I lost them. I now have like 10 backups of them. Some people have thousands of pictures, I only have a small amount, and these mean the world to me.

10. Thanks Gaffer, NightTrain, BoogyMan, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glad you got your shit back, losing all that data would have been heartbreaking.
    Hold my beer for a sec...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

this happened to me late last year, not only personal stuff but client files.
    I'm glad your drive was fine.

I took mine to a local shop and they could not retrieve anything. but i was charges 250 for the effort.
    They recommend i send it to a "clean shop" they use for a min of $500 and max charge of $1500+ with no guarantees but high likelihood of significant recovery.
    I past on that offer.
    After months on again off again half hearted searching i found this spot on line.
    300 dollar data recovery
    http://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/
    some trolls have posted a few bad reps for them online which made me a bit nervous but the deal was the best i'd seen.
    $300 to recovery as much as possible, likely 100%
    And NO Charge if there's no recovery. So I gave it a shot.
    they recovered about 80% of my drive.
    And they gave great service and updates as the work progressed.

FYI

but back up.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

13. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    this happened to me late last year, not only personal stuff but client files.
    I'm glad your drive was fine.

I took mine to a local shop and they could not retrieve anything. but i was charges 250 for the effort.
    They recommend i send it to a "clean shop" they use for a min of $500 and max charge of $1500+ with no guarantees but high likelihood of significant recovery.
    I past on that offer.
    After months on again off again half hearted searching i found this spot on line.
    300 dollar data recovery
    http://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/
    some trolls have posted a few bad reps for them online which made me a bit nervous but the deal was the best i'd seen.
    $300 to recovery as much as possible, likely 100%
    And NO Charge if there's no recovery. So I gave it a shot.
    they recovered about 80% of my drive.
    And they gave great service and updates as the work progressed.

FYI

but back up.
    Good to know!

I am hesitant to use someone with bad reviews as well, but competitors won't have any reluctance to post shitty reviews - especially if they're cheaper. I take the bad reviews with a grain of salt these days... there's a lot of dirty pool that happens online.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

15. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Glad to hear you got your data!
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I B/U everything on CDRW's