Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Default One Thing

You are walking along a beach when you feel something under the sand. You stop, dig in the sand and find it's a bottle with a cork in it. You take the cork out and realize you have just unleashed a genie. The genie gives you the power to change just one thing about the United States.

Understanding that this one wish could fundamentally change the future of this country, what one thing would you choose?

2. Thanks aboutime, Gaffer, Abbey Marie, darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    You are walking along a beach when you feel something under the sand. You stop, dig in the sand and find it's a bottle with a cork in it. You take the cork out and realize you have just unleashed a genie. The genie gives you the power to change just one thing about the United States.

Understanding that this one wish could fundamentally change the future of this country, what one thing would you choose?
    I'd like to go back to 1961 and convince Obama's mother to get an abortion.
    bono malum superate

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I'd wish to go back to 1960. And not have any chance of something called an Obama ever appearing on Earth, unless it was taken to a landfill. Not a Joke.
    Last edited by aboutime; 08-16-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

5. Thanks Redrose, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'd like more time to consider this for a final answer but for now, I'd like to go back to our founding when they were establishing the balance of power. I'd say that ONE man in power to balance the power is too much power for one man.............I believe the power of president would best serve WE THE PEOPLE if the people's governors were the balance of power. Of course, back then, distance was a problem but it isn't now. I may simply be tired but it seems that even the founders got away from States preserving their rights and freedom over a possible tyrannical federal gov. I believe I'll hit the hay now and sleep on the idea. Good thread, Perianne. I look forward to other folk's two cents/sense.
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

7. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red state View Post
    I'd like more time to consider this for a final answer but for now, I'd like to go back to our founding when they were establishing the balance of power. I'd say that ONE man in power to balance the power is too much power for one man.............I believe the power of president would best serve WE THE PEOPLE if the people's governors were the balance of power. Of course, back then, distance was a problem but it isn't now. I may simply be tired but it seems that even the founders got away from States preserving their rights and freedom over a possible tyrannical federal gov. I believe I'll hit the hay now and sleep on the idea. Good thread, Perianne. I look forward to other folk's two cents/sense.

We do have a balance of power, we have three branches, Executive, Legislative and Judicial. That system has served us well for over 200 years. Right now we are experiencing a breakdown of communication. The president refuses to allow the government to function as it was designed.
    The states are represented at two levels, Representatives in the House based on population and two Senators from each state. I'm not sure I like the way the Supreme Court is appointed. I agree they should serve for life, or they choose to retire, but presidents will always appoint a justice whose record reflects his political views. That can build a court that can be too partisan.
    bono malum superate

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

No Rap music ever!!!!!! -Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 08-16-2014 at 11:00 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

10. Thanks aboutime, Jeff, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

My wish is that everyone be responsible for themselves and their own family.

I am tired of supporting whores and lazy people. You don't work, you don't eat.

Of course alliances could be built amongst people to help care for each other. I like it better that when mom and dad get old and unable to care for themselves, their family steps up.

A small percentage of people are unable to care for themselves, and for those, the state would take the place of family. But that small percentage is almost totally comprised of children, the elderly, and the mentally retarded.

I believe America would be a better place if everyone were held responsible for themselves and the consequences of their behavior.

12. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My wish is that everyone be responsible for themselves and their own family.

I am tired of supporting whores and lazy people. You don't work, you don't eat.

Of course alliances could be built amongst people to help care for each other. I like it better that when mom and dad get old and unable to care for themselves, their family steps up.

A small percentage of people are unable to care for themselves, and for those, the state would take the place of family. But that small percentage is almost totally comprised of children, the elderly, and the mentally retarded.

I believe America would be a better place if everyone were held responsible for themselves and the consequences of their behavior.

A beautiful thought Peri but it will never happen. Too many people want the easy way, let someone else break a sweat, while they sit back waiting for a check.
    bono malum superate

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redrose View Post
    A beautiful thought Peri but it will never happen. Too many people want the easy way, let someone else break a sweat, while they sit back waiting for a check.
    I know, Redrose, but this is a fantasy thread. It is my wish so the genie has to grant it!

16. Thanks Redrose, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I would abolish Homeland Security. They spend more resources on containing Americans than actually protecting them.
    Last edited by SassyLady; 08-17-2014 at 01:30 AM.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

18. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anyone that is a politician is unable to lie. If they lie they choke to death. Sure would change the country.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

20. Thanks SassyLady, Perianne, Kathianne, aboutime, Jeff and 2 others thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Forced personal responsibility. Far too many live off the government and demand freebies.

And I want a second one - TERM LIMITS for ALL politicians.

22. Thanks Gaffer, aboutime, SassyLady, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

We do have a balance of power, we have three branches, Executive, Legislative and Judicial. That system has served us well for over 200 years. Right now we are experiencing a breakdown of communication. The president refuses to allow the government to function as it was designed.
    The states are represented at two levels, Representatives in the House based on population and two Senators from each state. I'm not sure I like the way the Supreme Court is appointed. I agree they should serve for life, or they choose to retire, but presidents will always appoint a justice whose record reflects his political views. That can build a court that can be too partisan.

To overcome evil with good takes more than one man and one man has too much power whereas the other two "balances" require a group of individuals. I appreciate the lessen in our system and its history but I disagree that this has worked 'well' for us. As one who has seen an imbalance of power directed toward certain ethnicities over our history that was unfavorable to the Irish, Italian and Cherokee (groups within my bloodline) much of their turmoil was due to certain presidents who thought themselves all powerful. They made no bones about strong arming the other two powers that be and our history is full of this (regardless of ethnic group or situation) that could be mentioned by those more tuned to history.

I appreciate your remarks but I stand firm that in our day and age, we could make this work and it'd work MUCH better than the system that corrupts...............in B.O.'s case (ABSOLUTELY).

My point was that the EXECUTIVE office should be directed to our EXECUTIVE(S) who run their States.............some quiet well, in fact, and far better than MOST of our presidents over the years. This, to me would be a better balance of power.
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

24. Thanks Redrose thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red state View Post
    To overcome evil with good takes more than one man and one man has too much power whereas the other two "balances" require a group of individuals. I appreciate the lessen in our system and its history but I disagree that this has worked 'well' for us. As one who has seen an imbalance of power directed toward certain ethnicities over our history that was unfavorable to the Irish, Italian and Cherokee (groups within my bloodline) much of their turmoil was due to certain presidents who thought themselves all powerful. They made no bones about strong arming the other two powers that be and our history is full of this (regardless of ethnic group or situation) that could be mentioned by those more tuned to history.

I appreciate your remarks but I stand firm that in our day and age, we could make this work and it'd work MUCH better than the system that corrupts...............in B.O.'s case (ABSOLUTELY).

My point was that the EXECUTIVE office should be directed to our EXECUTIVE(S) who run their States.............some quiet well, in fact, and far better than MOST of our presidents over the years. This, to me would be a better balance of power.

I do believe we'd be better off with giving power back to the states.

I'm English and Italian from New York. I have a long fuse, but when it burns out, oh my!
    bono malum superate

26. Thanks red state, NightTrain, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I do believe we'd be better off with giving power back to the states.

I'm English and Italian from New York. I have a long fuse, but when it burns out, oh my!
    Yep, the separation of powers is not only along federal lines, (which the Irish and Italians did fine with), but also along federated lines, where the federal has usurped many state powers. Like how the hell is lunch programs in the discussions of Michelle Obama? and yet, it is.

The states have acquiesced to the fed, in much the same fashion the legislative branch has acquiesced to the executive on the national level.

We inherited a federated Republic, we no longer have that, but do have means of regaining if enough people make their voices known. What the politicos want is a democracy, with all the horrors the founders recognized 250 years ago.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

28. Thanks Redrose, Gaffer, fj1200, jimnyc, NightTrain and 3 others thanked this post