I know this happened because you guys laughed at me the other day! I'm pulling my hair out right now.

My wife hits the bottom of the stairwell and turns of the light switch. When she does, the fan and light back at the top of the stairs turn off. This is normal, as they are 3 way switches and you can turn them on/off from either side.

What isn't normal, is that it never turned back on again. I'm not saying that her hitting the switch did it, that's just when I went to turn it back on, and it wouldn't. I figured I was going to get a new fan anyway, as this one is 15 years old and ugly. I fugured I would take it apart before I leave, all except for the wiring which I would do when I got back. I took the old fan all the way off - but when I got to the motor housing and lowered it, the light suddenly came back on. I know, you're thinking like I am, that a wire must have been shorted in the housing. I hit the breaker and the light turned off. I used a cheapie meter a bought where you can detect electricity without even touching it. I touched the wires in the housing that went to the ceiling and they were still live according to the meter. I tested sockets and other switches, and the meter was fine. I turned off power to entire house, tested housing again and all was dead. If the breaker took the light out on the fan, shouldn't the HOT wire above went with it too? There are only 2 wires coming out of ceiling - white and black. Only 3 wires attach from fan, white for neautral and blue and black for the fan.

So I went and got a new fan with LED lighting. Long story short, no light and no fan. But the meter says I have power - although it beeps sporadically, as if it's not a good connection. I hang new fan from hook and connect only neutral on one side, and then black/blue to the black hot wire on the other.

I think maybe the switches, so I replace both of them, problem persists.

Now I have fan hanging from ceiling again, but on an angle to wire it. I have just the hot and neautral attached (black/blue to hot) and no matter what I do I can't get the light or fan to turn on - and that's on 2 fans now. Never had power issues to the fan prior to today.

My arms have been over my head for like 4 hours now and I'm not happy. I need an electrician here!!