Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Default wonderful debate

Not posting this as a commentary on the JFK assassination, there's more info on that in other threads.
    I'm posting it here as wonderful example of a civil debate

I watched this not long ago and was struck by the level of intelligent conversation by 2 people who are obviously at different ends of the spectrum politically but they can address the issue without partisan rancor and BS misplaced negative assumptions. Though there's some minor partisan comments on the issue both can acknowledge their biases and still speak clearly to the facts and attempt to make a case there pro and con. Buckley doesn't resorts to knee jerk dismissive accusations of "conspiracy theorist" to mentally shut down the very consideration the accusations. However it does seem that when he's confronted with difficult facts Buckley does try to deflect them rhetorically rather than address them directly. And he does challenge Lane's "thinking process" when confronting other facts. But he does so in a way that's somewhat rational and reasonable though -IMO- ineffective.

I have much respect for Buckley's intellect, debating skills and wit.
    But Lane simply ---in this limited format--- makes a better case using facts that he amazingly has at his mental fingertips.

enjoy

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fI7GwBtTRvc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

2. Thanks DLT, BoogyMan thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    Not posting this as a commentary on the JFK assassination, there's more info on that in other threads.
    I'm posting it here as wonderful example of a civil debate

I watched this not long ago and was struck by the level of intelligent conversation by 2 people who are obviously at different ends of the spectrum politically but they can address the issue without partisan rancor and BS misplaced negative assumptions. Though there's some minor partisan comments on the issue both can acknowledge their biases and still speak clearly to the facts and attempt to make a case there pro and con. Buckley doesn't resorts to knee jerk dismissive accusations of "conspiracy theorist" to mentally shut down the very consideration the accusations. However it does seem that when he's confronted with difficult facts Buckley does try to deflect them rhetorically rather than address them directly. And he does challenge Lane's "thinking process" when confronting other facts. But he does so in a way that's somewhat rational and reasonable though -IMO- ineffective.

I have much respect for Buckley's intellect, debating skills and wit.
    But Lane simply ---in this limited format--- makes a better case using facts that he amazingly has at his mental fingertips.

enjoy

<iframe height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fI7GwBtTRvc?feature=player_detailpage" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
    Those were the days, eh? I fear that the era of "civil debate" is ovah.

Witness any segment on Fox News, for instance, where any leftie is being allowed to interrupt and talk over their political opposition, and you have the era of "obnoxious shoutdowns" instead. And unfortunately, the right has few that are equipped to either deal with this tactic or to combat it successfully. The end result is just a bunch of raucous squawking back and forth to the point that most folks just tune it out and turn to another channel. Whatever works for the left, right?

4. Thanks Gaffer, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, red state thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post
    Those were the days, eh? I fear that the era of "civil debate" is ovah.

Witness any segment on Fox News, for instance, where any leftie is being allowed to interrupt and talk over their political opposition, and you have the era of "obnoxious shoutdowns" instead. And unfortunately, the right has few that are equipped to either deal with this tactic or to combat it successfully. The end result is just a bunch of raucous squawking back and forth to the point that most folks just tune it out and turn to another channel. Whatever works for the left, right?
    Witness any post you make. You go into personal attack mode the second someone disagrees with you.

In keeping with the theme of this subforum, pick a topic. Me and you. None of your gang and no rhetoric.

Let's dance.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke