Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Sorry Grump, but Dan Rather produced and read FAKE DOCUMENTS on air. They were exposed as fake by the bloggosphere. I can find the story if need be, but you know as well as I do what I'm saying is true. Dan Rather lied. MSM lied. Liars. Reading fake documents just went to show to what extent they'll go.
    He did not know they were fake at the time, so he didn't lie. In his glee at finding them, and exposing Bush, he failed (or more correctly his producer failed) to double or even triple check the source. If he knew they were fake, and reported on them anyway, that woudl be a lie. I'm convinced he didn't. Even then, the only person who can without a shadow of a doubt prove they were real or not, is the general who signed them. He's dead.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumplestillskin View Post
    He did not know they were fake at the time, so he didn't lie. In his glee at finding them, and exposing Bush, he failed (or more correctly his producer failed) to double or even triple check the source. If he knew they were fake, and reported on them anyway, that woudl be a lie. I'm convinced he didn't. Even then, the only person who can without a shadow of a doubt prove they were real or not, is the general who signed them. He's dead.
    Wrong. Even after they were exposed as fake, he still asserted he believed they were real. That's the actions of an over zealous liberal liar.

You lose on this one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wrong. Even after they were exposed as fake, he still asserted he believed they were real. That's the actions of an over zealous liberal liar.

You lose on this one.
    No, they were never proved beyond a reasonable doubt they were fake. Their witness wasn't reliable, that's for sure....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, they were never proved beyond a reasonable doubt they were fake. Their witness wasn't reliable, that's for sure....
    Yes they were, and there was plenty of coverage on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They were proved fake. And after they were proved fake rather came out and said "They may be fake but that doesn't mean they aren't accurate." Now there was a brilliant statement. An admission of the lie and still denying it.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They were not proven fake, but they probably were. He is right, they could be accurate. As mentioned, the only true way of finding out is the guy who signed them. He's dead.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They were not proven fake, but they probably were. He is right, they could be accurate. As mentioned, the only true way of finding out is the guy who signed them. He's dead.
    Here's the facts. They pretty much point out the obvious. The documents were fake, whether you say they aren't or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian...nticity_issues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's the facts. They pretty much point out the obvious. The documents were fake, whether you say they aren't or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian...nticity_issues
    LOL re being obvious Pale. If there is one thign, it was far from obvious. It was only due to somebody who had expertise in fonts that the subject was even raised. So how an everyman journo like Rather (or his producer) would know the intricacies of typewriters is beyond me. Still doesn't prove they lied.
    That being said - from your link:

In contrast, Killian's secretary at the time, Marian Carr Knox, stated, "We did discuss Bush's conduct and it was a problem Killian was concerned about. I think he was writing the memos so there would be some record that he was aware of what was going on and what he had done." Although she believed the content of the memos was accurate, she insisted that she did not type the memos CBS had obtained, called them fakes,[30] and noted they contained Army terminology that the Air Guard never used.

It's no wonder Rather still believes what he said was true - thus he did not lie.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Oh, I do get it. We are talking media bias, you're talking outright lies. Show me where CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, NY Times have lied and the editors approved of it (you don't get to cite Jayson Blair or Stephen Glass - they did things that went under the radar, but when caught were sent to the wolves by their bosses). I don't think ANY media outlet LIES, I think they bend the truth to suit their own political agenda.....sometimes....
    Strike two.

Prior to presenting your example of political bias presented by Fox as news, you can please feel free to quote me where I said a thing about outright lies.

Hint: Presumptions on your part do not count.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LOL re being obvious Pale. If there is one thign, it was far from obvious. It was only due to somebody who had expertise in fonts that the subject was even raised. So how an everyman journo like Rather (or his producer) would know the intricacies of typewriters is beyond me. Still doesn't prove they lied.
    That being said - from your link:

In contrast, Killian's secretary at the time, Marian Carr Knox, stated, "We did discuss Bush's conduct and it was a problem Killian was concerned about. I think he was writing the memos so there would be some record that he was aware of what was going on and what he had done." Although she believed the content of the memos was accurate, she insisted that she did not type the memos CBS had obtained, called them fakes,[30] and noted they contained Army terminology that the Air Guard never used.

It's no wonder Rather still believes what he said was true - thus he did not lie.
    Well grump, no matter how long or vehemently you insist Rather didn't lie, fact of the matter is, he didn't tell the truth either. What he said was a fabrication, and I call those lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

No, you are wrong. A lie is a lie. Having an angle to a story is nothing new and ALL journos do it. Lying is deliberately making shit up that never happened.

Dunno why you mention CNN and the snipers with regard to lying. The snipers weren't really shooting at US soldiers???
    You would be incorrect. Lies of omission are still lies. Presenting only half the facts to support a political agenda is dishonest; which, still is lying. Playing semantics with it is called "yellow journalism." Just because it is accepted because it literally contains no lie, just half the truth, doesn't make it any less a lie.

One does not have to completely fabricate something for it to be a lie. A statement such as that is in and of itself dishonest because I know you possess at least the raw intelligence to know better.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

No lies told there. I read an article in Vanity Fair by Rather's producer (Mapps I think her name was). She was furious at the source after they broke the story. They were mistaken (but even then, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something to it), but they didn't knowingly lie. Big difference. However, if you do want to draw that conclusion - that they purposefully lied - then Bush knowingly lied to the American public about WMDs in Iraq. You think he did?

Try again...
    They presented unverifed information as fact. Journalists are and should be more responsible than that. The fact is, they just wanted to be the first to "break the big one," and it cost them bigtime for not doing their groundwork prior to presenting the information to the American public as fact.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

You may be convinced he didn't know, but others are not so sure. Only Dan Rather knows for sure; however, having just presented false information as fact, I'm sure even you could see where he doesn't really get the benefit of doubt as to whether or not he is lying.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Strike two.

Prior to presenting your example of political bias presented by Fox as news, you can please feel free to quote me where I said a thing about outright lies.

Hint: Presumptions on your part do not count.
    Fair enough re lies. As for political bias, I have seen plenty of it on Fox news. Dunno how I get into their archives onto the net. If you want to example after example after example, get out a movie called Outfoxed - it's full of examples..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well grump, no matter how long or vehemently you insist Rather didn't lie, fact of the matter is, he didn't tell the truth either. What he said was a fabrication, and I call those lies.
    AT the time he thought it was the truth, and even Killian's secretary believes it to be so. How can that even come close to being a lie? He fabricated nothing.