Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    The problem isn't that his first story was based on faked documents. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was duped. The problem lies with his reaction after it was confirmed that the documents weren't legit. He argued that it didn't matter rather than admit he had made a mistake. Perhaps it's a family trait as evidenced by his last name. He was blinded by his zeal to find some dirt on Bush. If he had been more objective in his pursuit of the truth, he probably could have avoided the mistake in the first place.
    Had he come out as soon as he the documents were found to be fake and reported such, he could definitely easily have saved face, and probably his job.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    So... OK... I can cite something on here that comes from unknown sources, and it's authenticity can't be proven, and you're going to stand behind what I say as the truth? Sorry grump, but you're cracked pard.
    No, I wouldn't stand behind what you say as the truth. Neither would I say you lied if you believed what you cited. If you cited something you knew was a lie but said it was the truth, then you'd be lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    He lied, and the only proof you've come up contrary to that resides inside your head, and nowhere else.
    No, I came up with him not knowing the evidence was a lie, and in fact, has yet to proven so. Huge difference.

You know, you guys talk about the media begin biased, and yet here you guys are doing exactly what you claim they are. Your dislike of Rather and CBS blinds you to the FACT you have no evidence that he lied. It's not a matter of opinion either. I think the guy has enough history to give him the benefit of the doubt - if there is indeed any.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The fact that it turned out to be falsified information made it a lie.
    1) It is not a fact it was falsified. I have already quoted Pale's own link that Killian's secretary believes it was true. It is only a lie if he knew it was falsified. Can you prove he knew that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    All Rather did that can be positively verified is present false information; whether knowingly or not. That is irresponsible reporting according to the 3 years of journalism I took, and on a more practical side, not covering one's ass very well.
    His team is responsible for not verifying the information. It is the producer's job to verify the information, not Rather's. And you are right, they should have verified it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumplestillskin View Post
    1) It is not a fact it was falsified. I have already quoted Pale's own link that Killian's secretary believes it was true. It is only a lie if he knew it was falsified. Can you prove he knew that?
    Grump, just because Killian's secretary believed it was true, does-not-make-it-true. When you're out there making statements of a very shattering, important nature, it is UP TO YOU to PROVE THEM TRUE.

Your arguement on this whole point is lame at best. You're not being truthful defending it.