Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Canadian killer was recent convert to Islam identified as terror risk

Canadian killer was recent convert to Islam identified as terror risk

By Philip Sherwell, New York

10:11AM BST 23 Oct 2014

Terror came to the heart of the Canadian capital Ottawa on Wednesday as a suspected jihadist gunman shot dead a soldier at the national war memorial and then rampaged through the halls of the federal parliament.

The attacker, who was killed in a gun battle inside parliament, was named as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a Canadian-born 32-year-old.

He was a recent convert to Islam from Quebec with a history of drug abuse and whose passport had been seized by authorities after he was designated a "high-risk traveller", Canadian media reported.

The centre of Ottawa was paralysed as heavily armed police fanned out in search of at least one other suspected gunman following what appeared to have been an jiahdist terrorist attack on the heart of the country's government.

Canada was already on edge after a radical Muslim convert killed a soldier and injured a second on Monday in a deliberate hit-and-run car attack in Quebec before being shot to death by police.

The similarity in the reported backgrounds of the two killers has raised fears that "lone-wolf" extremists - possibly a cell of radical converts in Quebec - are targeting Canadian military personnel in retaliation for the government's support of US-led air strikes in Iraq and Syria.

Zehaf-Bibeaus' victim was identified as Cpl Nathan Cirillo, 24, a reserve infantryman and young father who was part of a two-man honour guard carrying an unloaded rifle at the war memorial.

In a chilling detail, a witness described how the gunman earlier raised his arms in a display of triumph, a rifle in the air, after shooting Cpl Cirillo at point blank rage in front of the cenotaph. The location for the start of his rampage appeared horrifically symbolic as it honours the country's war dead
    Just more peaceful acts by those so peaceful muslims..
    Why do recent white/western or infidel converts choose to murder?
    Because it proves the new faith, since jihad(murder of non-muslims) is the core command. --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Drummond, LongTermGuy, Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Just more peaceful acts by those so peaceful muslims..
    Why do recent white/western or infidel converts choose to murder?
    Because it proves the new faith, since jihad(murder of non-muslims) is the core command. --Tyr
    There's a fine line between extra scrutiny based on a profile and religious persecution and guilt by association. We would be wise not to cross that line.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    There's a fine line between extra scrutiny based on a profile and religious persecution and guilt by association. We would be wise not to cross that line.
    I'm also discovering that there's a remarkably fine line between recognising reality and adopting the pose of an ostrich.

... I mean ... just how many of these occurrences have to happen, before people finally start comprehending the obvious ?

Islam has had a history of causing savagery in its name over the centuries, from its creation to the present day. It continues unabated. Yet, STILL, people make excuses. People run away from what's staring them in the face. And all the while, more and more are recruited, to ... what ? What we are continually assured is a 'fringe aberration' .. ??

For how much longer can the INcredible be accepted as inviolable fact, in contravention of all common sense ??
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I'm also discovering that there's a remarkably fine line between recognising reality and adopting the pose of an ostrich.

... I mean ... just how many of these occurrences have to happen, before people finally start comprehending the obvious ?

Islam has had a history of causing savagery in its name over the centuries, from its creation to the present day. It continues unabated. Yet, STILL, people make excuses. People run away from what's staring them in the face. And all the while, more and more are recruited, to ... what ? What we are continually assured is a 'fringe aberration' .. ??

For how much longer can the INcredible be accepted as inviolable fact, in contravention of all common sense ??
    It's obvious that the RCMP should have taken more aggressive action against someone already found unfit to have a passport. Prejudice is the lazy man's way out. It requires less action.

7. Thanks fj1200, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

The Canadians already knew this guy was a radical muzzie. It would seem their profiling worked nicely, they just failed on the next logical step.

They failed to grab him prior to him doing this bit of barbarism, and that's a shame. They need to be more aggressive in keeping track of identified radicals within their country.

And wtf is with the now-deceased soldier carrying around his unloaded rifle? What good did that do? Soldiers should have ammo in a weapon they're carrying, honor detail or not.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

9. Thanks Drummond, LongTermGuy, red state, Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Canada's PM says shooting rampage was terrorism

OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) — A masked gunman killed a soldier standing guard at Canada's war memorial Wednesday, then stormed Parliament in an attack that was stopped cold when he was shot to death by the ceremonial sergeant-at-arms. Canada's prime minister called it the country's second terrorist attack in three days.

"We will not be intimidated. Canada will never be intimidated," Prime Minister Stephen Harper vowed in an address to the nation.

Unfolding just before 10 a.m., while lawmakers were meeting in caucus rooms, the assault rocked Parliament over and over with the boom of gunfire, led MPs to barricade doors with chairs and sent people streaming from the building in fear. Harper was addressing a caucus when the attack began outside the door, but he safely escaped.

Investigators offered little information about the gunman, identified as 32-year-old petty criminal Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. But Harper said: "In the days to come we will learn about the terrorist and any accomplices he may have had."

A government official told AP that Zehaf-Bibeau was a recent convert to Islam. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-sho...142335480.html

11. Thanks Drummond, LongTermGuy, Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

It's obvious that the RCMP should have taken more aggressive action against someone already found unfit to have a passport. Prejudice is the lazy man's way out. It requires less action.
    What you call prejudice (and I reject the suggestion that it is), I call alertness and awareness. The less of a conscious awareness there is to a problem having considerable magnitude -- the less the perceived need to tackle it in a proper and proportionate way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

What you call prejudice (and I reject the suggestion that it is), I call alertness and awareness. The less of a conscious awareness there is to a problem having considerable magnitude -- the less the perceived need to tackle it in a proper and proportionate way.
    Chest thumping != competence.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That was less than a mile from my house, scary shite.
    'There's nothing gay about hell' - Patty Leotardo

15. Thanks Drummond, Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Said1 View Post
    That was less than a mile from my house, scary shite.
    I hope the government reaction to this doesn't adversely affect your quality of life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Spot on, Drummond! Your analysis of the "ostrich effect" couldn't explain those on the wrong side of this story any better and NT topped it off by re-introducing the FACTS that they had effectively and appropriately profiled this muSLUM varmint of a cult of vermin led by evil, insane vipers.
    Last edited by red state; 10-23-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

18. Thanks Drummond, Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Chest thumping != competence.
    Is sleepwalking to the next disaster (and the next, and the next, and so on ..) preferable to you ?

What strategist worth a damn would advocate NOT fully comprehending the nature of your enemy ??

20. Thanks Gaffer thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I just wanted to say that this line really cracked me up!
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Is sleepwalking to the next disaster (and the next, and the next, and so on ..) preferable to you ?

What strategist worth a damn would advocate NOT fully comprehending the nature of your enemy ??
    I'm no Military Scientist; I don't play one on TV; I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express. I find it amazing how some people think they are smarter than a nation's entire military and intelligence combined. If you want talk about the President being a traitor, that's one thing. If you want to claim to be a tactical genius on how to gain victory on this type of enemy, show me your credentials.

23. Thanks fj1200 thanked this post