Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default 3 Flu Vaccine Myths —Busted!

Myth #1: The protection lasts for more than a year

For the flu shot to be effective, you need one every year, ideally as soon as it’s available so that your defenses are raised through the entire flu season. There are two reasons for this: Just like a tetanus shot protects you for 10 years, the flu shot covers you for one. You might have some lingering protection after the 365-day mark, but it won’t be nearly as powerful.

Myth #2: Receiving the flu vaccine ensures you won’t get sick

Overall, the flu shot is about 50 percent effective, Dr. Jhung said. That doesn’t mean you have a 50-50 chance of getting the flu. Instead, it means that your personal flu risk — whatever that likelihood may be — is cut in half by getting the shot. “Think of a best friend who does all of the things you do, meets all of the same people, and so has the same exposure to the flu virus as you do,” Dr. Jhung explained. “If you had your flu shot and your friend didn’t, your risk of coming down with the flu would be about half of hers.”

Myth #3: There’s no reason to get the vaccine if you’re young and healthy

The flu is more dangerous than you might realize. Every year, about 200,000 people are hospitalized due to the flu or flu-related complications. The number of flu-related deaths swings widely from one year to another but ranges from about 3,000 to 49,000, according to a CDC analysis.

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/health/3-flu-v...695251677.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Myth #1: The protection lasts for more than a year

For the flu shot to be effective, you need one every year, ideally as soon as it’s available so that your defenses are raised through the entire flu season. There are two reasons for this: Just like a tetanus shot protects you for 10 years, the flu shot covers you for one. You might have some lingering protection after the 365-day mark, but it won’t be nearly as powerful.

Myth #2: Receiving the flu vaccine ensures you won’t get sick

Overall, the flu shot is about 50 percent effective, Dr. Jhung said. That doesn’t mean you have a 50-50 chance of getting the flu. Instead, it means that your personal flu risk — whatever that likelihood may be — is cut in half by getting the shot. “Think of a best friend who does all of the things you do, meets all of the same people, and so has the same exposure to the flu virus as you do,” Dr. Jhung explained. “If you had your flu shot and your friend didn’t, your risk of coming down with the flu would be about half of hers.”

Myth #3: There’s no reason to get the vaccine if you’re young and healthy

The flu is more dangerous than you might realize. Every year, about 200,000 people are hospitalized due to the flu or flu-related complications. The number of flu-related deaths swings widely from one year to another but ranges from about 3,000 to 49,000, according to a CDC analysis.

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/health/3-flu-v...695251677.html
    Yeah, well...I'll take my chances with the flu...since I no longer trust the US government, the medical industry or anyone else connected to the aforementioned entities enough to trust what they are injecting me with. I may live to regret that decision, but if so, I'll take that hit. But I prefer to build up my immune system, eat healthy, take lots of vitamins/C and take my chances sans 'shot'.

The last flu shot I got was in 2005. It made my arm feel like it was going to fall off (or I wished it would). It made me sick. And I vowed never again. I have since discovered other means to ward off the flu bug.

4. Thanks revelarts, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post
    Yeah, well...I'll take my chances with the flu...since I no longer trust the US government, the medical industry or anyone else connected to the aforementioned entities enough to trust what they are injecting me with. I may live to regret that decision, but if so, I'll take that hit. But I prefer to build up my immune system, eat healthy, take lots of vitamins/C and take my chances sans 'shot'.

The last flu shot I got was in 2005. It made my arm feel like it was going to fall off (or I wished it would). It made me sick. And I vowed never again. I have since discovered other means to ward off the flu bug.
    At some point we have to make informed decisions. I fully understand the distrust though. But I've needed cortisone shots, migraine shots, shots prior to surgery, novocaine at dentist. I don't do the flu shot either, but not because I fear those fuckers. Outside of a few minor things, like this one at times, or other non threatening issues, I can't see avoiding appropriate healthcare due to conspiracy theories. And I don't mean that's what you just said, I know you only applied this to the flu shot, but there are a lot of people out there that try to bypass ALL healthcare as they think the health companies and the government want to kill them, or that they use these things to control the population.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

At some point we have to make informed decisions. I fully understand the distrust though. But I've needed cortisone shots, migraine shots, shots prior to surgery, novocaine at dentist. I don't do the flu shot either, but not because I fear those fuckers. Outside of a few minor things, like this one at times, or other non threatening issues, I can't see avoiding appropriate healthcare due to conspiracy theories. And I don't mean that's what you just said, I know you only applied this to the flu shot, but there are a lot of people out there that try to bypass ALL healthcare as they think the health companies and the government want to kill them, or that they use these things to control the population.
    Yeah, I'm not at that point (quite yet) .....where I think that all health companies want to kill me. Hell, Obamacare hasn't even fully kicked in yet!

But under THIS administration, I could see where many Americans would think that way.

No, I have been avoiding these things for decades, as much as possible. I am reasonably healthy, thank God....and have only had to be IN a hospital for my own care twice in my life, both on an out-patient status. And that was back in 1987.

I avoid hospitals as much as possible due to the fact that they are full of sick people. I once caught something really bad in a Dallas hospital where my dad was a patient.... that knocked me out of commission while I was on family leave from the company I worked for in Houston, to help my mom cope with and care for my dad. We got him out of the hospital and brought him home, but right afterwards, I came down with something that left me feverish and delerious for four days. Some help I was! So...I don't even (ever) wanna go there again...unless I'm dying...lol.

7. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

I'm with DLT here and
    Vitamin D has been shown to be as or more effective than the Flu vaccines as well.
    So there is an alternative.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

9. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post

Right on...was going to say the same thing...eating well...vitamins... being careful and staying fit....last flue shot for me was in 2003...had a few colds since...but nothing major....

11. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Haven't had the flu in better than twenty years (knock wood), never had a flu shot.

The Mrs. has contracted the flu every time she got a flu shot. She stopped getting them three or four years ago, hasn't gotten the flu since. I'm not saying there is a link, because there's not, I'm just saying...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Haven't had the flu in better than twenty years (knock wood), never had a flu shot.

The Mrs. has contracted the flu every time she got a flu shot. She stopped getting them three or four years ago, hasn't gotten the flu since. I'm not saying there is a link, because there's not, I'm just saying...
    At the very least the shots did not protect her.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.

14. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I'm with DLT here and
    Vitamin D has been shown to be as or more effective than the Flu vaccines as well.
    So there is an alternative.
    Big difference between taking something you think is an effective alternative, as opposed to refraining from medication based on distrust.

I too have read that Vitamin D can help. Similar to it also helping fight/prevent colds. For some that may be the answer, and for some it may be getting a shot. I just don't see a reason to have distrust in the government or the health industry over the flu. The shots have prevented millions of sicknesses and has saved many a life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

At the very least the shots did not protect her.
    I'm confident there have been many people not protected by vitamins either. I take vitamins daily. And while I DO believe in them and will continue to take them, they don't always protect me from colds, flu and other crappy things we get from time to time.

17. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I'm confident there have been many people not protected by vitamins either. I take vitamins daily. And while I DO believe in them and will continue to take them, they don't always protect me from colds, flu and other crappy things we get from time to time.
    `Understand and agree Jim...everybody is different...Everyone must know and understand their own Limitations..from past experience..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post
    `Understand and agree Jim...everybody is different...Everyone must know and understand their own Limitations..from past experience..
    My wife is the type that uses natural methods and it works for her, she rarely if ever sees a doctor. Me? A lot of things would never go away without antibiotics and such. I guess my immune system sucks. I think alcohol over the years may have eaten up whatever controls the immune system.

20. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

sure, that's true.
    but imo if it's a 50/50 shot either way -Vaccine vs Vitamins- then why not go with vitamins. the rate of problems with vitamins verse vacines makes vitamins a better choice based on safety.
    Plus the vitamins have multiple benefits, building your system as a whole. rather than a one trick pony of a vaccine.

Vitamins and Foods win on several levels. So IMO the vaccine is a misplaced/wasted effort.

And that's before you look into how big pharmas actions in the past that have harmed peopled seriously in pursuit of a buck. Or read up on the Gov'ts revolving door systems of Big Pharma executives rolling in and out of the FDA approving whatever comes down the pipe for a Big Pharmas profit.

Some people may feel comfortable that the Pharmaceutical companies and the gov't have your best interest at heart. But it's the same companies that not that long ago sold cocaine as sleeping aid and the like.
    That's not to say that there aren't GREAT benefit in many drugs and anti-biotics of course there are. But In the case of Flu Vaccines it seems more like Snake oil and a yearlly cash cow than a real help.
    Last edited by revelarts; 10-26-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

sure, that's true.
    but imo if it's a 50/50 shot either way -Vaccine vs Vitamins- then why not go with vitamins. the rate of problems with vitamins verse vacines makes vitamins a better choice based on safety.
    Plus the vitamins have multiple benefits, building your system as a whole. rather than a one trick pony of a vaccine.

Vitamins and Foods win on several levels. So IMO the vaccine is a misplaced/wasted effort.
    Because for some, for many, that way simply doesn't work, they need the flu shot. Also, some may look at it as a one time thing and they're protected, as opposed to taking vitamins the entire year to help build up the immune system. What works for one doesn't work for everybody. That's why I think you were correct when you stated the vitamins were an 'effective alternative'. But calling the vaccines wasted? Nah, I think the tens of thousands that die every single year might disagree.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I was talked into taking a flu shot once, once was all it took. I was perfectly healthy that fine morn but by next afternoon was so sick I could hardly walk, missed 8 consecutive days of work, thought I was going to die.
    Only Ron and I had refused , the entire company took those shots so at the last minute, the company Prez came and asked us to make it a 100%, we did but when we entered the nurse at our location had just given the last shot and upon seeing we both there she announced she had to go to her medical van to get more to give us our shots. So Ron and I both got our shots from a different batch than the other 87 employees. You guessed it, he and I both became deathly ill. I was off sick 8 days , he was off 13 days. That was back in 1991.. Never before and never since have I taken a damn flu shot--I never will.... That was the worse damn sickness I've ever had . Twenty three years ago and I was at that time as healthy as a horse and strong as a gorilla but that shot made me think I was going to die by the third and fourth days of the eight days I missed work.
    Up until that time I had in almost 6 years there with no days missed sick..
    I swore, never again...
    My son gets only the mandatory vaccinations , never any others. I insist on that......
    I do not trust "them", the gov or the medical field.. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

24. Thanks revelarts thanked this post