Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Default "Death With Dignity" advocate dies in Oregon

A quite sad but touching story about someone who was able to end their life on their own terms.

http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article...ng-5865547.php

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I just love her. God be with her and her loved ones during this time. :-/
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

3. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I saw a lot of debates around the internet on this subject today. A lot of people were calling her a sinner for committing suicide, the ultimate sin, and will now burn in hell. I disagree with this. I think that's meant for when people take away the life that was meant to continue. This was 100% certain that she was going to die anyway. All this girl did was make it a specific time, and in a less painful way. I don't think God would have wanted to see her suffer, and she used her free will to speed up the inevitable process. This was HER choice and I'm glad she was able to take the route SHE wanted and what was going to make HER most comfortable. I think many would want her to stick around out of their own selfish needs. This was not one of those suicides where "someone could have been saved" or "only if someone had known". Sadly, there was no saving here. The only saving she did for herself, saving herself from incredible pain and a life in a shell anyway.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks LongTermGuy, fj1200 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I saw a lot of debates around the internet on this subject today. A lot of people were calling her a sinner for committing suicide, the ultimate sin, and will now burn in hell. I disagree with this. I think that's meant for when people take away the life that was meant to continue. This was 100% certain that she was going to die anyway. All this girl did was make it a specific time, and in a less painful way. I don't think God would have wanted to see her suffer, and she used her free will to speed up the inevitable process. This was HER choice and I'm glad she was able to take the route SHE wanted and what was going to make HER most comfortable. I think many would want her to stick around out of their own selfish needs. This was not one of those suicides where "someone could have been saved" or "only if someone had known". Sadly, there was no saving here. The only saving she did for herself, saving herself from incredible pain and a life in a shell anyway.
    `Very sad story...have been following it myself....agree with your comment:

~ "and she used her `free will` to speed up the inevitable process" ~

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post
    `Very sad story...have been following it myself....agree with your comment:

~ "and she used her `free will` to speed up the inevitable process" ~
    My Mom passed of cancer. I would have given every limb of mine to have her somehow stick around, as I miss her like you wouldn't believe. But I saw suffering first hand. I wouldn't have liked it if Mom had made a similar choice. I would have tried to talk her out of it for my own selfish needs and feelings. But in the end, if that's what she wanted, I would have respected that and supported her.

My Aunt Joan passed from bone cancer when I was like 12 or 13. Her bones were so brittle that she was in bed for the last few years of her life. She also had a cage of sorts around her head, and drilled into her skull, to give it support and stability. I was too young to fully grasp things at the time, but obviously she suffered a lot. Way more than anyone should have too.

If someone is 100% certain to die, I see no reason why it shouldn't be on their own terms, and allow them to avoid unnecessary suffering, for both them and the family.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post