Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Default Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

I've been a huge fan of the Civ games since the first one came out in the early '90s. Yep, it came on a few 3.5 floppy disks.

I'm downloading the brand new one, Beyond Earth... has anyone played it yet?
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I've been a huge fan of the Civ games since the first one came out in the early '90s. Yep, it came on a few 3.5 floppy disks.

I have my hands full with Brave New World. I haven't beat it yet. I can't seem to get past Immortal, let alone Diety.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Didn't play that expansion... just played Civ 5 vanilla and haven't touched it since.

Halfway done with the download, should be playing in a few minutes!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big fan as well. On Steam it is getting mixed reviews. $50 is seems pretty steep. Let us know how you like it.

5. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I can barely remember playing one of the Civ games (I've slept since then)....but I liked it. Just don't know about this one. Would have to demo it before spending the money. Let us know how you like it (post screenshots).

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/1...demo-released/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Well, I put about 3 hours into playing it.... and I don't think I like it.

Combat is the same as Civ5, but the alien units are everywhere, like you'd selected "Raging Barbarians" in the setup options on Civ5. They never stop. They don't attack your workers, or pillage your improvements, but will attack everything else. Your city bombardment is enhanced, so a city can defend itself easily from the aliens.

The confusing part is the Tech tree. You start in the middle of a bunch of unrelated techs and fumble your way around instead of a logical progression like all the other Civ games had.

The terrain has this gas stuff called 'miasma' or something like that, that covers about 50% of all land tiles. So not only are you getting your ass kicked by raging alien units, the terrain takes 10 points off your unit every turn.

Rival civs still try to bully you, but I generally tell them to pound sand. No conflicts yet, although I did denounce one of them when I caught one of his spies in one of my cities.

Units still get promoted after getting enough XP. There are lots of Sea Monsters that pop up out of nowhere and one-shot any of your Naval units or a land unit making a crossing.

There's a massive health problem in my cities and I haven't figured out yet how to fix that... I've built everything I can in 3 of my cities and there's still a health problem. I'm running a -10 overall health and that severely affects how your cities are performing.

The graphics, aside from the nicely done intro, are less than Civ 5's were.

I don't know... I might be being too harsh, but the other Civ games grabbed me right away and this one is looking like a big disappointment and a waste of 50 bucks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Well, I put about 3 hours into playing it.... and I don't think I like it.

Combat is the same as Civ5, but the alien units are everywhere, like you'd selected "Raging Barbarians" in the setup options on Civ5. They never stop. They don't attack your workers, or pillage your improvements, but will attack everything else. Your city bombardment is enhanced, so a city can defend itself easily from the aliens.

The confusing part is the Tech tree. You start in the middle of a bunch of unrelated techs and fumble your way around instead of a logical progression like all the other Civ games had.

The terrain has this gas stuff called 'miasma' or something like that, that covers about 50% of all land tiles. So not only are you getting your ass kicked by raging alien units, the terrain takes 10 points off your unit every turn.

Rival civs still try to bully you, but I generally tell them to pound sand. No conflicts yet, although I did denounce one of them when I caught one of his spies in one of my cities.

Units still get promoted after getting enough XP. There are lots of Sea Monsters that pop up out of nowhere and one-shot any of your Naval units or a land unit making a crossing.

There's a massive health problem in my cities and I haven't figured out yet how to fix that... I've built everything I can in 3 of my cities and there's still a health problem. I'm running a -10 overall health and that severely affects how your cities are performing.

The graphics, aside from the nicely done intro, are less than Civ 5's were.

I don't know... I might be being too harsh, but the other Civ games grabbed me right away and this one is looking like a big disappointment and a waste of 50 bucks.

If you select Honor, do you get culture points or gold for killing the Aliens? I think you would like Brave New World. It doesn't radically change the game, but makes it MUCH more difficult.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    If you select Honor, do you get culture points or gold for killing the Aliens? I think you would like Brave New World. It doesn't radically change the game, but makes it MUCH more difficult.
    Yeah, down the cultural tree in the 'Might' column, there's a bonus I selected that gives science points for killing an alien unit or their nest. I'm about 2/3 down the 'Might' line.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Although I love the game series, my final judgement is that it's a shitty game.

If it were free, that would be different... but it's not worth the money.