Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Gaffer and Trinity

Gaffer has been a member and around with some of us for many years. In case some of you were unaware, the other member posting as "Trinity" is his daughter. Gaffer has been diagnosed with cancer. Trinity is busting her ass behind the scenes to help Dad and go to doctors and hospitals.

What if all of us were neighbors? What would we do to help at a time like this? Maybe bring over some warm dinners when they don't have the time to cook. Drop off some rented movies they can share together but didn't have time to prepare things. Maybe help a little so that getting the next set of medications is just a little bit easier. Maybe even just offer a ride so that they save some gas....

I would like for the DP community to do our part from afar. I don't know about everyone else, but Gaffer and Trinity mean more to me than my neighbors. I sure wish I was a neighbor to them though, so that I could do my little part to help make even one day a little easier for them. But we can still help. I would like to have a fund drive for a week or two (not everyone is here every day) and get a little something off to them that can help. I'm thinking a gift card is best, with a card, with a list of hints on what WE would do if we were there to help in person.

So please, if you can... At the top of the board - in the center - you will see the DONATE button with a list of credit cards beneath it. You can donate with your Paypal account or with your credit card, and no joining of Paypal is necessary. *** When making this donation - PLEASE put your name in the comments section. I don't always know by the email address donating. Also, PLEASE put in the comments section what it is you would do or get for them if you were there. This will just help me with our ideas is all. ***

I will be meticulous with record keeping. I will hold onto screenshots of all donations. I will also take photos of the gift card prior to mailing. Not entirely necessary, but just so that everyone is assured that 100% of this is for them. I can even let DMP log into my Paypal account after the fact for verification if necessary.

The amount doesn't matter. Every little bit matters and helps.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthre...ear-of-my-life
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Jeff, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, SassyLady, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Ok, our first donation has been received, and 2nd if you count my own.

I hope others will follow suit. Hopefully we can get something out there to them, sooner than later. Just a small something would be nice, whatever anyone can do. I've always stated that our community was like a small family, and I still believe that. Let's do what we can to show them we care.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Talk to you everday and not aware of this being underway. Thanks for the heads up bean bag!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Evil View Post
    Talk to you everday and not aware of this being underway. Thanks for the heads up bean bag!
    You read the thread this morning, consider that your heads up! LOL Also, we DID speak earlier, but you had to go to the bank. I should be more important than your money!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I wanted to add a little something. This isn't about recognition or amounts. But I wanted to point out the first person from yesterday. The first person to donate after placing this thread up here was RSR aka Red States Rule. Somehow he got wind of this and immediately made a donation. I think this shows the effect Gaffer has had one some over the years. Now I'm not going to list names as we go along, but I thought it cool how that played out and thought I would share. I'm sure it will mean a lot to Gaffer to see the lasting effects AND respect he has left with some.

7. Thanks fj1200, Jeff, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Being house poor sucks.

Just know that my current inability to contribute to the effort is indicative of nothing other than being house poor.

Trinity, I know first what it is you are going through, though there was no option for chemo for my dad. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you. Hang tough.

Gaffer, fight and don't stop fighting. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

9. Thanks jimnyc, Jeff, PixieStix, Trinity, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Most of us know that Terry (RSR) is good people. Anyone who is in touch with him, please say hello for me.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

11. Thanks hjmick, Jeff, PixieStix, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Being house poor sucks.

Just know that my current inability to contribute to the effort is indicative of nothing other than being house poor.

Trinity, I know first what it is you are going through, though there was no option for chemo for my dad. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you. Hang tough.

Gaffer, fight and don't stop fighting. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you.
    Like I always said, we're like a big family here. Not everyone can always chip in at all times. Timing is a bitch sometimes. I think your well wishes will be more than enough when Gaffer reads this. Like another friend told me recently, which we all heard a million times - its the thought that counts. And don't feel bad, I'm Mr. Mom on this side and mainly live off of my tiny allowance.

13. Thanks hjmick, PixieStix thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Most of us know that Terry (RSR) is good people. Anyone who is in touch with him, please say hello for me.
    Hopefully he'll be reading this and the other threads. I had a few back and forth with him and even told him I was going to mention him here, as his quick donation took me off guard. I'll be sure to tell him as well should we mail anymore. And hell yeah, while we have had our differences at times, Terry was always decent people.

15. Thanks Trinity, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yes he is and please give a hello for me, and tell him to stop in I miss him
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

17. Thanks Abbey Marie, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Like I always said, we're like a big family here. Not everyone can always chip in at all times. Timing is a bitch sometimes. I think your well wishes will be more than enough when Gaffer reads this. Like another friend told me recently, which we all heard a million times - its the thought that counts. And don't feel bad, I'm Mr. Mom on this side and mainly live off of my tiny allowance.
    Dam, most wish they made what your tiny allowance is

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Dam, most wish they made what your tiny allowance is
    Keep in mind, I'm in New York. My allowance generally lasts less than a day!!

20. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Keep in mind, I'm in New York. My allowance generally lasts less than a day!!
    Now that Little Brother is a personal problem , they do make U hauls up there as well don't they ?

22. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I so wish I could give. I may be able to give a little something in a couple of weeks. I have had to take a couple of trips to Alabama and West Virginia. That has really been a blow to my bank account.

All I have to give at this point is my continued prayer and my support.

I know what they are going through.
    We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people. ~Theodore Roosevelt~

24. Thanks jimnyc, Jeff, Trinity, Abbey Marie, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PixieStix View Post
    I so wish I could give. I may be able to give a little something in a couple of weeks. I have had to take a couple of trips to Alabama and West Virginia. That has really been a blow to my bank account.

All I have to give at this point is my continued prayer and my support.

I know what they are going through.
    That is more important than all the money one could send !!

26. Thanks PixieStix, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post