Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Round 2: Buffalo faces another wintry wallop

http://news.yahoo.com/round-2-buffal...062143704.html

Round 2: Buffalo faces another wintry wallop

Associated Press
    By CAROLYN THOMPSON
    1 hour ago

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — A new blast of lake-effect snow pounded Buffalo for a third day on Thursday, piling more misery on a city already buried by an epic, deadly snowfall that could leave some areas with nearly 8 feet of snow on the ground when it's all done.

But the meteorological "kick me" sign on the city hasn't fallen off just yet. Forecasters say a rapid weekend warmup, with temperatures as high as 60 and rain, could turn all that snow into floods.

"It is an extraordinary situation," Gov. Andrew Cuomo told reporters after touring the region Wednesday and talking to truckers who had been stranded more than 24 hours on the Thruway. "It will get worse before it gets better."

Even for Buffalo, a place that typically shrugs at snow, this was a stunning snowfall — the kind of onslaught folks will be telling their grandchildren about.

Those living in the Buffalo area were already buried under as much as 5˝ feet of snow Wednesday, and they awoke Thursday to more heavy snow that could bring 1 to 3 feet more. The new snow and high winds moved through the city of Buffalo with lightning and thunder overnight Thursday, dropping several inches before blasting towns to the south, which were in line for the highest totals, National Weather Service meteorologist David Zaff said.

"This is an historic event. When all is said and done, this snowstorm will break all sorts of records, and that's saying something in Buffalo," Cuomo said.

The storm came in so fast and furious over Lake Erie early Tuesday it trapped more than 100 vehicles along a 132-mile stretch of the New York State Thruway that remained closed Wednesday.

.Winter Comes Early Across Parts of US. Play video
    Winter Comes Early Across Parts of US
    Tom Wilson, of West Seneca, split a Salisbury steak frozen dinner with co-workers and tried his best to get some rest when he was stuck 36 hours at his warehouse job.

"I slept on a pallet. Then I slept on some office chairs, and then I went back to the pallet," Wilson said. "Then I found some sponges to lay on. I found one pack of sponges unopened. That looks like a pillow to me.

"We tried to make popcorn with a two-by-four, two empty pop kegs, some charcoal and a dust pan," he added. "It didn't work."

Bethany Hojnacki went into labor at the height of the storm and ended up giving birth in a Buffalo fire station after she and her husband couldn't get to the hospital. Mother and daughter were later taken to the hospital in an ambulance.

Cuomo said Wednesday afternoon that all trapped travelers had been removed from their cars, though some truckers were staying with their rigs.

Asked by reporters how officials could allow people to be snowbound in cars for 24 hours, Cuomo cited a jackknifed trailer that prevented plows from removing fast-falling snow, and drivers' own wrongheaded choices.

"What happened was, even though the Thruway was officially closed, people went on. We didn't immediately block every entrance. It was a mistake," Cuomo said.

"Part of it is citizen responsibility," he added. "If the road is closed, it's closed."

The storm was blamed for up to eight deaths in western New York, at least five of them from heart attacks. Erie County officials announced the latest death on Thursday, that of a man in his 60s who was stricken Wednesday while operating a snowblower.

Residents of a mobile home park in the suburb of West Seneca were being
    8 feet of snow!!!!!! OUCH... --Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 11-20-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

4. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Heard they are expecting more...

I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

6. Thanks Perianne, LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I saw some scary photos today! 6 effing feet! How much notice did they have, anyone know? If I even heard one foot - off to the store to stock up and let everyone else suffer. No way in hell I attempt to shovel that kind of snow, not unless I own a huge tractor of sorts. But a shovel? In my hands? With 6 feet of snow? That's asking for death to come knocking at your door, or at least my door.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Oh, and not that anyone cares - but they actually are skipping the NFL there this weekend and are looking for another stadium to play at for just one week. I believe they are looking at Washington and Detroit.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

10. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

If these people didn't like snow, they wouldn't live in Buffalo.

12. Thanks Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I saw some scary photos today! 6 effing feet! How much notice did they have, anyone know? If I even heard one foot - off to the store to stock up and let everyone else suffer. No way in hell I attempt to shovel that kind of snow, not unless I own a huge tractor of sorts. But a shovel? In my hands? With 6 feet of snow? That's asking for death to come knocking at your door, or at least my door.

Jim. Remember years ago when we were younger, and we actually wished for that much snow? The Lake Effect snow happens every year, but normally, not this early in the season. It caught everybody off guard. But now. The AL GORE'S of the World are trying to decide WHO to blame for this one too!
    So, this is for them.

14. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    If these people didn't like snow, they wouldn't live in Buffalo.
    Yup guess you are correct Gabs and people must like losing there homes to earth quakes or to wild fires out in California , yup I understand now

This isn't the norm, 6 foot of snow in November isn't something that happens all the time, these people didn't want it no more than they wanted to be stranded on the roads.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

16. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Yup guess you are correct Gabs and people must like losing there homes to earth quakes or to wild fires out in California , yup I understand now

This isn't the norm, 6 foot of snow in November isn't something that happens all the time, these people didn't want it no more than they wanted to be stranded on the roads.

Jeff. And we mustn't forget to ask gabby about how much water they are enjoying with the Drought???
    So, this is for them.

18. Thanks Jeff, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Default 10 dead in storm; NFL's Buffalo Bills won't play at home

This kind of storm isn't what people are use to in this area, I have been through Buffalo many times and yup in the winter it seems like every time I have been there it snows, but the roads are always wide open, not like this.

(CNN) -- Harlem Street in the Buffalo suburb of West Seneca offers a glimpse of life under the deadly and monumental western New York snowstorm.
    The extreme weather has claimed at least 10 lives -- its latest victims two people with mental health issues who died of apparent exposure overnight, Dr. Gale R. Burstein, Erie County health commissioner, said Thursday.
    And the storm forced the cancellation of Sunday's NFL game between Buffalo and the New York Jets at the Bills' Ralph Wilson Stadium.
    At the Winchester Volunteer Fire Company station on Harlem Street, as many as 40 people stranded in the snow have sought shelter since Tuesday. More than 6 feet of snow cover the streets. Abandoned cars are barely visible under the drifts.
    Fire trucks can't leave the station. Attempts by firefighters to get out in an SUV were futile. One medic hopped on a snowmobile to rush to a call. Other volunteers jumped on ATVs to reach a home where the roof was buckling under the weight of the snow.
    Maria Odom's two cats and a dog were rescued from the house.
    <cite class="expCaption">Drone captures stunning view of snowfall</cite>
    <cite class="expCaption">What is lake effect snow?</cite>
    <cite class="expCaption">Nearly a year's worth of snow in 24 hours</cite>

<cite class="expCaption">Buffalo mayor: 'There's a long way to go'</cite>
    "I'm ready for it to end," Odom, 38, said of the extreme weather. "I've lived here my whole life and I've never seen anything like this."
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/20/us/win...html?hpt=hp_t2
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

20. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post