Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Obvious Christian-baiting

I'm sure we have all noticed that there's been a lot of thinly veiled Christian-baiting going on here lately. People trying to "trick" Christians into admitting some sort of illogical beliefs, or to expose hypocritical behavior.

Here's a note to those involved: Your attempts are transparent, they do not engender honest debate, and they are not achieving the desired goals. Finally, we expect anti-Christian attitudes to gain in popularity, even here in America, so it's not surprising, really.

"Just so you know".

Carry on.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I'm sure we have all noticed that there's been a lot of thinly veiled Christian-baiting going on here lately. People trying to "trick" Christians into admitting some sort of illogical beliefs, or to expose hypocritical behavior.

Here's a note to those involved: Your attempts are transparent, they do not engender honest debate, and they are not achieving the desired goals. Finally, we expect anti-Christian attitudes to gain in popularity, even here in America, so it's not surprising, really.

"Just so you know".

Carry on.
    Thank goodness people don't "bait" homosexuals, muslims, liberals, etc...on this board...
    Man is a marvelous curiosity … he thinks he is the Creator's pet … he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Just so you know".

Carry on.
    Why would these anti-christian attitudes gain in popularity?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Just so you know".

Carry on.
    I have no idea who you are talking about with your comments, but heh! YOU got spunk, girl!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Waltz View Post
    Thank goodness people don't "bait" homosexuals, muslims, liberals, etc...on this board...
    I wouldn't consider direct questions aimed at thier core beliefs "baiting" as Abbey described. Would you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    I wouldn't consider direct questions aimed at thier core beliefs "baiting" as Abbey described. Would you?
    I wouldn't consider what Abbey described as "baiting", period. But, if one is baiting, then the other is.
    Man is a marvelous curiosity … he thinks he is the Creator's pet … he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I wouldn't consider what Abbey described as "baiting", period. But, if one is baiting, then the other is.
    I disagree. No one is trying to bait homosexuals, muslims, liberals, etc. They and their arguments get ATTACKED face up. There is definitely a difference between that and trying to win dishonest games of semantics.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it is happening then it's ultimately pointless. I've thought about this a lot. I'm an atheist and I have been for many years. It's not a badge for me. I don't speak about it in company and I have a few friends who are religious people but it just doesn't come up. I have to admit that at times I look at them and think, "how can you believe?", but I don't make an issue of it.

I don't want to turn anyone away from their religion. I will discuss religious issues on forums though but I hope I can do it without offending. I am lucky to live in a reasonably secular society where religion is considered a personal thing and it doesn't intrude greatly into politics, although that seems to be changing, unfortunately.

I sometimes envy those of faith. If you believe in God and an afterlife then you must be very comforted. I don't and there's nothing I can do about it. I believe that there's no afterlife and frankly it's pretty bleak to think that way. But then I decide that it's best to enjoy it while you can. It also makes me think a lot about the purpose or meaning of life. I'm pretty sure there isn't one. There are things we can do to be good people - good spouses/lovers, good friends, good parents, good sons and daughters and so on, but none of that is about the meaning of life, it's about living the right life.

Anyway to each their own.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I disagree. No one is trying to bait homosexuals, muslims, liberals, etc. They and their arguments get ATTACKED face up. There is definitely a difference between that and trying to win dishonest games of semantics.
    http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=4766

Speaking of "dishonest games of semantics"...
    Last edited by Lightning Waltz; 06-25-2007 at 06:02 AM.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Bullshit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bullshit.
    Bullshit bullshit.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Bullshit bullshit.
    Embellishing your debating skills, I see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Embellishing your debating skills, I see.
    No, just responding in kind, to you.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    If it is happening then it's ultimately pointless. I've thought about this a lot. I'm an atheist and I have been for many years. It's not a badge for me. I don't speak about it in company and I have a few friends who are religious people but it just doesn't come up. I have to admit that at times I look at them and think, "how can you believe?", but I don't make an issue of it.

I don't want to turn anyone away from their religion. I will discuss religious issues on forums though but I hope I can do it without offending. I am lucky to live in a reasonably secular society where religion is considered a personal thing and it doesn't intrude greatly into politics, although that seems to be changing, unfortunately.

I sometimes envy those of faith. If you believe in God and an afterlife then you must be very comforted. I don't and there's nothing I can do about it. I believe that there's no afterlife and frankly it's pretty bleak to think that way. But then I decide that it's best to enjoy it while you can. It also makes me think a lot about the purpose or meaning of life. I'm pretty sure there isn't one. There are things we can do to be good people - good spouses/lovers, good friends, good parents, good sons and daughters and so on, but none of that is about the meaning of life, it's about living the right life.

Anyway to each their own.
    I think you are describing what someone else (can't remember who) called the difference between atheists and 'A'theists.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Just so you know".

Carry on.
    Oh really? And what is "Question for pond scum "evolution" believers" if not thinly-veiled baiting? What a joke. Pppbbbt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.