Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interstellar

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Interstellar

In an undated mostly-near future Earth cannot support mankind; mankind tries to leave.

holyshitballs. This movie moved me as much as The Passion of the Christ. Stunning and exciting and moving - the father-daughter connections and issues moved me most. A telling line: "from the moment you become a parent you are living only to be a memory to your kids"

at 2hrs, 50 minutes ensure you block off an afternoon and an hour or two to talk-over what you just watches.

the science of this movie MAKES the movie for me: the movie is sadly and wonderfully realistic.

Take your spouse and kids. I will likely not watch it again because i dont want to be taken on that journey again.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

2. Thanks LongTermGuy, Drummond, SassyLady, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    In an undated mostly-near future Earth cannot support mankind; mankind tries to leave.

holyshitballs. This movie moved me as much as The Passion of the Christ. Stunning and exciting and moving - the father-daughter connections and issues moved me most. A telling line: "from the moment you become a parent you are living only to be a memory to your kids"

at 2hrs, 50 minutes ensure you block off an afternoon and an hour or two to talk-over what you just watches.

the science of this movie MAKES the movie for me: the movie is sadly and wonderfully realistic.

Take your spouse and kids. I will likely not watch it again because i dont want to be taken on that journey again.
    Pretty good assessment. I just saw it this weekend ... sure makes you think.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Thanks darin, Drummond, LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I've not seen this, but have read the synopsis on 'IMDB'. It reads, to me, like another of those films perhaps carrying a 'doom & gloom' message about global warming, and the idea that Mankind is poisoning the planet ?

Does it have (to whatever extent) a 'Gore-friendly' message, and therefore carry a propagandist objective as part of its 'reason for being' ?
    Last edited by Drummond; 11-25-2014 at 07:39 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

6. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I've not seen this, but have read the synopsis on 'IMDB'. It reads, to me, like another of those films perhaps carrying a 'doom & gloom' message about global warming, and the idea that Mankind is poisoning the planet ?

Does it have (to whatever extent) a 'Gore-friendly' message, and therefore carry a propagandist objective as part of its 'reason for being' ?
    I did not see it that way. In fact, the root cause seemed to be some sort of food shortage exacerbated by a blight affecting the only viable crop remaining ... corn. Truthfully, I did not care to think about it that deeply and I have seen Disney movies far more blatant than this one .... The Lion King drives me nuts, for example.
    Last edited by CSM; 11-25-2014 at 07:59 AM.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Echoing CSM - No glaring political agenda. It's a love story at heart, in my view.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

9. Thanks Drummond, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Echoing CSM - No glaring political agenda. It's a love story at heart, in my view.
    OK, sound good, then. Not having seen the film, I can't be sure of my conclusions. Naturally I'll defer to those who've seen the film ...
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

11. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

OK, sound good, then. Not having seen the film, I can't be sure of my conclusions. Naturally I'll defer to those who've seen the film ...
    Dammit, Drummond! How the heck can we get this thread moved to the Steel Cage section if you are going to have an attitude like that?

JUST IDDING, FOLKS!!!!
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the best 2014 movie, runtime is rather long, but i loved the concept

14. Thanks darin, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I watched this movie this morning, during the early hours.

Let's see......McConaughey goes inside a black hole and reaches his daughter's bedroom.

THIS is why they make so many different types of movies. Different things appeal to different people.

16. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

`​I have "heard" of it but don't really know the story line...Let me see if I can find a Trailer...*dmp...I hope you don't mind...

10 minutes Later....

*It looks very interesting....and always enjoyed the main actor in this film...I will see it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I think men tend to like science fiction more than women.

Christopher Nolan also directed Inception. If I had known it was the same guy, I would not have watched Intersellar.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

talk about missing the forrest for all the trees. Geesh girl...are you any fun at parties?

20. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pretty good movie. The political agenda was there but it was minor as mentioned before. First part of the movie was slow but once the crew lifted off into space it was good. I've always understood the relativity of time but the movie really brought home the reality of its effects on people.

22. Thanks darin, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

talk about missing the forrest for all the trees. Geesh girl...are you any fun at parties?
    You've already said I have a "childish (liberal) mindset". Maybe I applied it to this movie. I'm likely not intelligent enough to have seen the beauty of Interstellar.

I do wish to improve my mindset. Perhaps I could subscribe to your newsletter, if you have one?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Might take more than a newsletter. This movie is NOT some 'guy-centric scifi flick' - it's very close to real science; it's acted perfectly and written well.