Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL of you!! I hope our entire DP family is happy and safe, and hopefully with loved ones. At the end of the day, what matters most is spending quality time with your respective families and loved ones. Enjoy the time together and enjoy eating whatever meal of your choice happens to be!! We're having your typical dinner with turkey and all the extras. My friend is having lamb, with some different extras. We agreed ahead of time to make a huge plate for one another to swap.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Trinity, LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Both of those dinners rate, swapping leftovers is a great idea!

I'm going to be alone tomorrow, but I'm making a mini-Thanksgiving. I'm trying out some recipes to make when the darling daughter brings my granddaughter and daddy to visit December 5. We're having a Thanksgiving/Christmas celebration, so I'm going to cook for myself for Thanksgiving.

I bought a small turkey roast and am making dressing, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and shallots, acorn squash with brown sugar and butter, and have a pumpkin pie.

I have a 15 lb turkey in freezer for Alison and her parents, alas Alison only looks to mom for feeding.

I've always made a sausage/sage dressing with bread crumbs, the way mom taught me. For tomorrow I made french bread and have cut it into croutons, drying in 200 oven as I write. All the ingredients are the same, but I thought I'd try the croutons.

I've never like cabbage or brussel sprouts, but decided to give them a chance with bacon. LOL! We'll see.

I'll be talking on the phone or possibly skypping if the internet hold up with friends and family. For years my BFF and I've talked while cooking, tomorrow will be the same. I guess I won't be alone after all.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks SassyLady, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

It's times like this I think everyone should pause and consider the holiday. Its origin, its history, the first time it was celebrated...

On April 10, 1872, an estimated one million trees were planted in Nebraska... This was the first time I appeared in America... Birdsey Northrop of Connecticut was responsible for globalizing it when he visited Japan in 1883... But the first global appearance of Arbor Day was is in 1805 in... What? Really? Oh...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

The house is smelling awesomely of sage and sausage.

It's weird not having company, but since much is practice for the kids' visit; I'm cleaning between throwing the things together and in the oven. That does feel like 'holiday,' getting windows clean and using Mr Clean 'Miracle Erasure' to clean walls, light switches, etc.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Our Thanksgiving is much lonelier this year. Last year we had 8 people: My family of 4, my sister, my nephew, one of my co-workers and his friend. My sister is no longer with us, and now we're in Texas where we don't know anybody. Next year will likely be better. My wife's parents plan on moving back to the US, probably Omaha, next quarter. At least we have a much nicer living arrangement now.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

9. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post