Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Americans set new mark for giving

Story Highlights
    • Americans gave twice as much as next most charitable country
    • Individuals gave a combined 83.4 percent of the total, with bequests counted
    • Biggest chunk of donations went to religious organizations, followed by education
    • Report: About 65 percent of households with incomes less than $100,000 gave

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/25/cha....ap/index.html

This definatly restores my faith in my fellow Americans.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

American philanthropy is acknowledged by the rest of the world (well, those who aren't anti-American nutters anyway).
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    Story Highlights
    • Americans gave twice as much as next most charitable country
    • Individuals gave a combined 83.4 percent of the total, with bequests counted
    • Biggest chunk of donations went to religious organizations, followed by education
    • Report: About 65 percent of households with incomes less than $100,000 gave

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/25/cha....ap/index.html

This definatly restores my faith in my fellow Americans.
    I think the stats are different if you look at giving as a percent of how much you have. Obviously, poor nations wouldn't be able to give nearly as much as rich ones would be able to (if not normalized for wealth).

Personally, I don't think giving to churches should count for those dollars that go to supporting the church, rather than helping those that need it. Supporting the church's in building the next mega-church complex, IMO, isn't really chairty, but supporting a form of entertainment. If that church gives a percent to a relief fund or something...that amount should be included.
    Man is a marvelous curiosity … he thinks he is the Creator's pet … he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Waltz View Post
    I think the stats are different if you look at giving as a percent of how much you have. Obviously, poor nations wouldn't be able to give nearly as much as rich ones would be able to (if not normalized for wealth).

Personally, I don't think giving to churches should count for those dollars that go to supporting the church, rather than helping those that need it. Supporting the church's in building the next mega-church complex, IMO, isn't really chairty, but supporting a form of entertainment. If that church gives a percent to a relief fund or something...that amount should be included.
    I wonder if you have any idea of how much good religious affiliated organizations do to help the poor in the US and abroad? The #1 reason that kept organizations like Hamas, CAIR, etc., from being 'squelched' was their charitable work, yet you have the gall to put down Christian and other religious organizations?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I wonder if you have any idea of how much good religious affiliated organizations do to help the poor in the US and abroad? The #1 reason that kept organizations like Hamas, CAIR, etc., from being 'squelched' was their charitable work, yet you have the gall to put down Christian and other religious organizations?
    Er...you misunderstood me. There are some great Christian charitable organizations, but that doesn't mean that every dollar given to Christian churches ends up there. A lot of the money ends up supporting the churches, themselves. That part, IMO, is more like supporting entertainment, than giving to charity.
    Man is a marvelous curiosity … he thinks he is the Creator's pet … he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Waltz View Post
    Er...you misunderstood me. There are some great Christian charitable organizations, but that doesn't mean that every dollar given to Christian churches ends up there. A lot of the money ends up supporting the churches, themselves. That part, IMO, is more like supporting entertainment, than giving to charity.
    Considering the percentage 'lost' of every dollar given to the government, I would trust more good from the dollar given to most religious based organizations than 'outreach' government programs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well shoot ya didn't think we could have a post about the United States and Christians giving the MOST CHARITY...

United States Bad...Christians bad...

All other religions....good
    All other countries...good...

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Considering the percentage 'lost' of every dollar given to the government, I would trust more good from the dollar given to most religious based organizations than 'outreach' government programs.
    Perhaps so. But that's a different argument.
    -- Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Well shoot ya didn't think we could have a post about the United States and Christians giving the MOST CHARITY...

United States Bad...Christians bad...

All other religions....good
    All other countries...good...

No where did I say that Christians and the US were bad...
    That I won't blindly believe anything good said about Christians and the US doesn't mean that I believe Christians and the US are bad...just that I like to employ a little more critical thought than you do.
    -- Mark Twain