Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Default Protect & Serve

Journalist Stephanie Clifford wrote for The New York Times 11 December 2014:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The tip comes from a confidential informer: Someone has a gun. Ten or more minutes later, police officers find a man matching the informer’s detailed description at the reported location. A gun is discovered; an arrest is made.

That narrative describes how Jeffrey Herring was arrested last year by police officers in the 67th Precinct in East Flatbush, Brooklyn. It also describes the arrests of at least two other men, Eugene Moore and John Hooper, by some of the same officers.

The suspects said the guns were planted by the police.

There were other similarities: Each gun was found in a plastic bag or a handkerchief, with no traces of the suspect’s fingerprints. Prosecutors and the police did not mention a confidential informer until months after the arrests. None of the informers have come forward, even when defense lawyers and judges have requested they appear in court.

...In another example, Lt. Edward Babington, one of the four officers in Mr. Herring’s case, was involved in a federal gun case that was later dismissed and led to a $115,000 settlement. In that case, a federal judge said she believed that the “officers perjured themselves.”
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

These lying cops cost their cities BigBux, and the settlements are not nearly enough for the hassle that the defendant has to go through. And, the award should come right out of the police budget until they are all walking a beat. Maybe then, just maybe, they will see the light and begin to reform. But until then the subterfuge and deceit goes on...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

From The Associated Press 16 December 2014:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    The city of Rockford has reached a $1.1 million settlement with the estate of an unarmed black man who was fatally shot inside a church-run day care by two white police officers in 2009, according to officials.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

article

This settlement should come right out of the police budget.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Journalist Benjamin Weiser wrote for The New York Times 16 December 2014:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amid roiling protests and emotions over the death of Eric Garner during a police encounter, the New York City comptroller, Scott M. Stringer, is seeking to negotiate a settlement of a $75 million civil rights claim brought by Mr. Garner’s family. ...The move is part of Mr. Stringer’s novel strategy to settle major civil rights claims before lawsuits are formally filed; he said he hoped to save taxpayer dollars and bring “closure” to claimants and their families.

...In his first year as comptroller, he has reached two major settlements without the Law Department’s involvement. The first went to David Ranta, who was wrongfully convicted of murder and imprisoned for 23 years. Mr. Ranta accepted a $6.4 million settlement in February to resolve his $150 million claim against the city. In October, Mr. Stringer reached a $2.25 million settlement with the family of Jerome Murdough, a homeless veteran who died in an overheated cell at the Rikers Island jail complex. His family had filed a $25 million claim. ...the city spent $732 million in settlements and judgments in the fiscal year ending in June, an increase of $208 million from the prior year, his office has said.

...The family’s lawyer, Jonathan C. Moore, said on Tuesday, “If Scott Stringer wants to sit down and talk about trying to resolve the Garner case, I would be remiss in not accepting that invitation.” Mr. Moore helped represent the five men whose convictions were ultimately overturned in the 1989 Central Park jogger case, a lawsuit that was settled with the city for $41 million.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Do You Know...There are Far More professional and honorable Peace Officers than there are rogues? I'd gauge it at 98% good. Humans are not 100% good...None of Us!

Why is it only the bad ones get the publicity? Rarely Do the ones that Serve, Protect, and Defend get the Huff-Po headlines. I guess honest serving is not an important topic for liberal rags.

Do You know...every time a Cop straps on his belt, wears his badge and goes to duty, that he is a target? And, that he has a family that hopes he comes home alive after each shift, not knowing what kind of idiot he might face in his 12 hour shift?

Do You Know...that some cultures in this USA teach their kids to disrespect Peace Officers, Firefighters, or any symbol of authority? Even we Coasties get that - and My mission is Search and Rescue! Why do Black urban adults, married or unmarried, Hispancic urban adults, married or unmarried, demonstrate to their offspring defiance of law?

There is the problem↑

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Do You Know...There are Far More professional and honorable Peace Officers than there are rogues? I'd gauge it at 98% good. Humans are not 100% good...None of Us!

Why is it only the bad ones get the publicity? Rarely Do the ones that Serve, Protect, and Defend get the Huff-Po headlines. I guess honest serving is not an important topic for liberal rags.

Do You know...every time a Cop straps on his belt, wears his badge and goes to duty, that he is a target? And, that he has a family that hopes he comes home alive after each shift, not knowing what kind of idiot he might face in his 12 hour shift?

Do You Know...that some cultures in this USA teach their kids to disrespect Peace Officers, Firefighters, or any symbol of authority? Even we Coasties get that - and My mission is Search and Rescue! Why do Black urban adults, married or unmarried, Hispancic urban adults, married or unmarried, demonstrate to their offspring defiance of law?

There is the problem↑

Wow. That ^ explains why Obama gets so much attention too! He deserves all the BAD publicity every lie he tells....GETS.

But seriously. In response to your question. The problem is LACK OF EDUCATION by the parents who teach the young to be just as uninformed as they are.
    Last edited by aboutime; 12-17-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Alison Lynn & Matt Gutman for ABC News 18 December 2014:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alecia and Bounkham Phonesavanh never imagined their family would be at the center of a controversy over the militarization of police. But that’s exactly where they found themselves when their toddler was seriously injured by a SWAT team, also leaving them with a $1 million medical bill they have no hope of paying.

“They messed up,” Alecia Phonesavanh told ABC News' "20/20." “They had a faulty search warrant. They raided the wrong house.”

Watch the full story on ABC News' "20/20" Friday, Dec. 19 at 10 p.m. ET
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

There are Far More professional and honorable Peace Officers than there are rogues... Why is it only the bad ones get the publicity?
    You are suggesting that these instances be swept under the rug?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indago View Post
    I suggest no such thing.

All I am telling you that the instances that you trumpet are a very small percentage of what
    anyone in L.E. goes through.

More emphasis in the Lib media for the few bad apples than the ones that lay down their
    safety and lives for the benefit of all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

I'd suggest they not be so one-sided. I must have missed the "Black cop shoot black crook", "black cop shoots white crook" articles. Or you could look through the San Antonio Express. Odds are in South Texas no matter WHAT color your skin is you're going to get shot by a Mexican American cop.

No one suggested sweeping anything under the rug. Just pointed out that sensationalizing a handful of alleged bad cops and or wrongful deaths/shootings vs the 98% that go to work and do their jobs.

And as anyone here can tell you, I hate cops. Especially small town Andy and Barny cops who can get away with whatever bullshit lies they want to tell to suit their agendas. However, that doesn't make them all bad.

The only job worse today is being in the military ground forces overseas. And the military has that "10%" too.

When you get your crown of thorns, let me know.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

There is the problem↑
    People will pay to hear about the bad cop, no one cares that the good cop is doing his job
    Last edited by Jeff; 12-19-2014 at 07:23 AM.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is the problem↑

In the UK, our media and TV programmes tend to focus on the negative aspects of American police officers. So they tend to be seen as authority crazy, gun tooting law enforcement vigilantes. That's just my view from someone on the outside looking in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post
    In the UK, our media and TV programmes tend to focus on the negative aspects of American police officers. So they tend to be seen as authority crazy, gun tooting law enforcement vigilantes. That's just my view from someone on the outside looking in.
    I think that description is a little over the top but it's not entirely inaccurate. More than one person in this thread has said that most cops are good but it's the bad ones that get the publicity. I don't think most of them are good. I think there are some good ones, there are some bad ones, but most of them are ethically ambiguous. There's a reason these stories gain traction and it's not abused minorities, it's the fact that many people have problems with what the police have become whether they're out beating people or just writing people up for minor offenses knowing full well that the punishment will far outweigh the seriousness of the crime.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

There is the problem↑
    The cop-haters don't know and don't care. They also don't know that they are being used (useful idiots) by the radical left to further the leftist agenda.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post
    The cop-haters don't know and don't care. They also don't know that they are being used (useful idiots) by the radical left to further the leftist agenda.

the problem is Police defenders take every comment on a bad police incident or a bad police policy as evidence of HATERED or dislike or ALL police.
    No matter HOW MANY times to clearly point out that most police i most areas have good in intent and are honorable and should be honored for volunteering to do a crappy job.

many defend POLICE as a group and seem reluctant to admit and investigated or even discuss the BAD APPLES or the BAD Polices or the BAD groups of cops hidden among the good ones.

it's ALL blanket knee jerk defense and calls to -stop talking about bad police because the police are good!-

this use to really bother me but I have THEORY now why people do this.
    No offense to any here but I think it's just a matter of lazy or short hand thinking. thinking that crosses over to other groups as well.
    It's just EASIER for people to think about people in groups. so they do.

think about police
    Police =GOOD.
    so when someone says a SPECIFIC cop is bad it short circuits a basic BELIEF.
    it's hard to actually work though the details of dealing with the 2-15% of bad police ruining people's lives on a regular basis if you imagine that POLICE = GOOD.

i'd guess similar thinking goes with:
    U.S. soldiers/military =GOOD
    Democrats = BAD
    America = GOOD
    Iran = BAD
    fill in the blanks yourself
    Muslims = ?
    Illegals = ?
    Mexicans = ?
    Blacks = ?
    Roman Catholics =?
    Republican = ?
    Christians =?
    Native Americans = ?
    Oil Companies = ?
    Politicians = ?

The last one there is Politicians.

Now i suspect that if there were a thread about politicians that listed their crimes few would be upset unless its focus was partisan.
    we all Accept that politicians commit crimes and do wrong from time to time. They are human..just like police right?
    But we all know that many politicians especially at the local and state levels are sincere and want to do a good job as well.
    but we don't get our Draws in Wad if someone points out a criminal acts of SPECIFIC politicians or even nest of bad politicians working together to make money on some project or something.
    it's just part of being vigilant citizens and HOLDING officials accountable.

that ALL I ever and I suspect Indigo intends here.
    Open honest Accountability.

If that translate into some people's mind to "hate of all police", or a liberal agenda well your wrong. and i'm sorry you don't get it.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

These lying cops cost their cities BigBux, and the settlements are not nearly enough for the hassle that the defendant has to go through. And, the award should come right out of the police budget until they are all walking a beat. Maybe then, just maybe, they will see the light and begin to reform. But until then the subterfuge and deceit goes on...
    Not to long ago, several people were killed in Southern California when a military pilot on a training exercise crashed into a neighborhood. I don't remember the pilot being villianized, or the military called out for their blunders. They rarely are.
    Law enforcement do a dangerous job. They are targets every day. Yet you rarely see them built up like the military are. It's unfortunate.