Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Killing of Homeless Woman Unjustified, Officer Says

July 21, 2000|MATT LAIT and SCOTT GLOVER | TIMES STAFF WRITERS
    Breaking ranks with other police accounts of last year's controversial police shooting of homeless woman Margaret Mitchell, a veteran LAPD motorcycle officer who watched from across the street as the incident unfolded says he believes the shooting was unwarranted.
    Officer John Goines testified during a deposition in a federal civil rights lawsuit brought by Mitchell's family that he was disturbed by the May 21, 1999, slaying of the 102-pound woman, who had been waving a screwdriver at police. Goines acknowledged, as he has before, that his view of the fatal shot was blocked by a passing car, but said he did witness the events leading up to it and immediately following it.
    "I didn't understand how this whole thing went down the way it did," Goines said under questioning by attorney Leo Terrell. "I didn't see how--how come the lady ended up getting shot, and it was disturbing to me."
    Terrell asked the officer whether he considered the shooting "excessive."

"Yes," he said, adding later: "I would say that [she] was not an immediate threat."
    Margaret Mitchell, a homeless 54-year-old Black woman, was pulling a shopping cart along the street. Two cops on bicycles, one male and one female, approached and started harassing her. Under a California law, police can ticket people and confiscate their carts--for supposedly not having a store's permission to take the carts onto the street. The law is enforced only against the homeless, and it takes from them the little that they have.
    Margaret Mitchell walked away from the police. Her shopping cart held all her possessions, including the nice red blanket that was sort of her trademark with the people in the area. As she walked down the street, someone driving by recognized her, pulled over and tried to talk the cops out of hassling her. But the cops continued their pursuit. One witness, a Black man in his 40s, saw her running and pulling the cart behind her as the cops ran after her. "My first thought was, `Oh, man. When they catch this person they're going to beat her.' That was my first thought. I didn't see the guns. I just saw the cops running. And I saw her in front of them running. And then I heard the bam! It was so sudden that I didn't even realize she was shot until moments later when I processed it and I saw her laying on the ground. I thought, `Oh my god, they just shot that woman!"'
    Victim in the War on the People

"...Margaret Mitchell was 5 foot 1 and weighed 102 pounds. People in the neighborhood did not know her name until after the shooting. But they knew her as a soft-spoken woman who smiled a lot. The police claim that she had a "weapon" in her hand--a screwdriver. They say she threatened to kill them, that she "lunged" and "slashed" at the male cop--causing him to "fear for his life." Police Chief Bernard Parks and spokesmen are arrogantly defending these killer cops. They have repeated over and over that "none of the witnesses contradicted the account given by the officers." They are lying.

This cold-blooded police murder happened on a six-lane street during rush hour in the middle of a shopping district. There were many outraged eyewitnesses who spoke to reporters at the scene or called radio and TV stations to get the truth out. All of these witnesses contradicted the police version. All of these witnesses agreed with the account that the RW heard from the people on the street: Margaret Mitchell was going away from the police with her back turned when she was shot, and she was not even holding the screwdriver. A salesman at the automobile dealership at 4th and La Brea said, "She never threatened anyone." So did another man who talked to a KNX radio reporter. These comments have been public since the very first news reports. Two or three witnesses insisted she was shot in the back. A lawyer for her family is calling for an independent autopsy.... "
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indago View Post
    You are suggesting that these instances be swept under the rug?
    I suggest no such thing.

All I am telling you that the instances that you trumpet are a very small percentage of what
    anyone in L.E. goes through.

More emphasis in the Lib media for the few bad apples than the ones that lay down their
    safety and lives for the benefit of all.

3. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

From HuffPo:
    -----------------------------------------------
    A former New York City narcotics detective testified in court that planting drugs on innocent people was common practice, a quick and easy way to boost arrest numbers. According to the New York Daily News, the practice is known among NYPD officers as “flaking,” and officers in Brooklyn and Queens narcotics squads were doing a whole lot of it.

...“One of the consequences of the war on drugs is that police officers are pressured to make large numbers of arrests, and it’s easy for some of the less honest cops to plant evidence on innocent people,” said Gabriel Sayegh of the DPA. “The drug war inevitably leads to crooked policing — and quotas further incentivize such practices.”

...The marijuana arrests, the group says, are the result of “illegal searches” by the NYPD, as part of stop-and-frisks.

article

5. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

From HuffPo:
    A former New York City narcotics detective testified in court that planting drugs on innocent people was common practice, a quick and easy way to boost arrest numbers. According to the New York Daily News, the practice is known among NYPD officers as “flaking,” and officers in Brooklyn and Queens narcotics squads were doing a whole lot of it.

...“One of the consequences of the war on drugs is that police officers are pressured to make large numbers of arrests, and it’s easy for some of the less honest cops to plant evidence on innocent people,” said Gabriel Sayegh of the DPA. “The drug war inevitably leads to crooked policing — and quotas further incentivize such practices.”

...The marijuana arrests, the group says, are the result of “illegal searches” by the NYPD, as part of stop-and-frisks.

article

'"Did you observe with some frequency this ... practice which is taking someone who was seemingly not guilty of a crime and laying the drugs on them?" Justice Gustin Reichbach asked Anderson."Yes, multiple times," he replied.
    The judge pressed Anderson on whether he ever gave a thought to the damage he was inflicting on the innocent.
    "It was something I was seeing a lot of, whether it was from supervisors or undercovers and even investigators," he said.
    "It's almost like you have no emotion with it, that they attach the bodies to it, they're going to be out of jail tomorrow anyway; nothing is going to happen to them anyway."
    The city paid $300,000 to settle a false arrest suit by Jose Colon and his brother Maximo, who were falsely arrested by Anderson and Tavarez. A surveillance tape inside the bar showed they had been framed.
    A federal judge presiding over the suit said the NYPD's plagued by "widespread falsification" by arresting officers."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/fabricated-drug-charges-innocent-people-meet-arrest-quotas-detective-testifies-article-1.963021

SO again we see that QUOTAS and arrest goals help motivate police corruption.
    not enough crime, make it up, stop and frisk , plant some drugs.

if later one of these INNOCENT people is caught on tape protesting an arrest and is hurt by a cop.
    Some News and commentators can call him a "repeat offender" and a "thug" that's was "disrespectful of cops" and say "if he didn't have drugs..." "if they had JUST obeyed police NOTHING would have happened."

This kind of Police corruption is what makes the rift in the general view of police.

We have to be honest and say yes it's part of the system and weed it out and not Assume bad cops are as rare as leprechauns.
    Or assume some people are JUST anti-Police when they point it out.
    I'm not about making up a FANTASY police that's 99% good all the time. or 99% BAD.
    facts tell the tale and it depends, each Police Department is different, each cops is different. Cop Culture can be highly or selectively negative or positive at various points.

But one things for certain. those bad police weren't going to wall street or Downtown Manhattan to plant drugs on the wealthy white guys, or old Jewish women. Or stopping and frisking teens outside of rich private schools.
    Last edited by revelarts; 12-31-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Good Cop Vs Bad Cop which cop does the system punish 1st in Buffalo ?

.................................................. ...........
    Exclusive: Fired Buffalo cop tells her side

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - Former Buffalo Police officer Cariol Horne in a battle to get her pension. She was fired for trying to stop a fellow officer she says was abusing a suspect."November 1, 2006, there was a call of an officer in trouble at 707 Walden," said Cariol Horne.
    That officer was Gregory Kwiatkowski, who was responding to a domestic dispute inside that home between Neal Mack and his girlfriend.
    When officer Horne went into the house she says Mack had already been placed under arrest.
    "He was handcuffed in the front and he was sideways and being punched in the face by Gregory Kwiatkowski," explained Horne.
    Horne and about 10 other officers who arrived at the scene helped drag Mack out of the home. But once outside Horne says Officer Kwiatkowski was out of control. "Gregory Kwiatkowski turned Neal Mack around and started choking him. So then I'm like, 'Greg! You're choking him,' because I thought whatever happened in the house he was still upset about so when he didn't stop choking him I just grabbed his arm from around Neal Mack's neck," said Horne.
    If that choke hold of a handcuffed suspect caught Horne off guard, it didn't prepare her for what she says Kwiatkowski did next.
    "He comes up and punches me in the face and I had to have my bridge replaced," said Horne.
    When Horne tried to defend herself other officers pulled her back and her shoulder was injured.
    Following the incident, Horne was fired and charged with obstruction for "jumping on officer Kwiatkowski's back and/or striking him with her hands." But officer Kiwatkowski's own words seem to conflict with the charges. In a sworn statement he says, "she never got on top of me."

Nonetheless, Horne lost every appeal and with her 19 year career over, she didn't qualify for a pension.

Horne is the mother of five children and is now working as a truck driver to make ends meet.
    "My daughter said, 'Mommy, why did you go to work that day?' She never said, 'Why did you do what you did?' or 'I wish you wouldn't have done it.' She just said, 'I wish you wouldn't have gone to work that day.' So I don't regret it."

Officer Kwiatkowski was forced to retire from the police department after he was suspended for choking another officer on the job, and in a separate incident, punching another officer when he was off the clock.
    In May 2014, Kwiatowkski and two other officers were indicted on federal civil rights violations against black teen suspects. holding them down and shooting with a BB gun.

Horne is continuing to fight for a pension.
    The City of Buffalo Common Council sent her case to the New York State retirement system for review. A determination has not yet been made.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/fired-buffa...id-do-it-again
    Last edited by revelarts; 12-31-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    Cop Tackles Pregnant Woman who bleeding in premature Labor At Hospital For Running A Red Light and speeding to get there.
    Arrest and cuff her in hospital.

link

Cop Kicks Pregnant 9 month Woman in the Stomach.

"It was very dark"
    "Dozier filed a complaint with the DeKalb police department's internal affairs unit, but it was never investigated. Instead, four supervisors and an internal affairs detective signed off that Wheeler's use of force met policy."

Two words: Anecdotal evidence
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Why not change the title of this thread to....DP MEMBERS HATE COPS?

What a great way to start the new year, being Honest for a change?
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post

The problem is that its not that cut and dry my friend. There are bad cops doing really--REALLY-- bad things!!
    It is a truly complex issue--I hate cops--the bad ones but I truly support the good ones. I have too support the goods ones because I believe in the Rule of Law.
    Yet I know too damn much not to dearly hate the bad ones and wish all those "bad ones" either extremely savage justice and or death... Some truly seriously bad cops deserve the ultimate punishment.. Yet when caught and fired they usually get away with no time served in jail or prison-- which is a travesty of immense proportion my friend!
    Do not ever think that some cops don't commit deliberate murder then plant guns on people to justify their shooting that person..

The big problem is police departments covering up for bad cops !!
    I tell all of you people this, I've seen with my own eyes cops do things so outrageously wrong they should have been beaten half to death for doing so yet nothing was ever done!!
    One cop, later kicked off the force in the mid-70's -- I still hope to catch in the right place at the right time.
    And if I ever do he gets stomped all to hell and back, I'll leave his worthless ass barely breathing.
    I don't play in cases like that...
    Last I heard in the early 90's he was in Florida and had served time in prison...
    I'd give somebody "else's right arm" to get to lay my hands on that ffing bastard..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

11. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Looks like 2015 will just be a repeat of 2014. And, I stand by my suggestion to change the title.

What an appropriate suggestion it seems to be. Highly unfair, much like some of us saying ALL Democrats, ALL Black Americans, and ALL Cops are under the same hateful blanket.

Nope. I ain't gonna accept that kind of stuff. No matter who says it.

Until we can stop the generalizations, and accusations. We will NEVER solve any problems as a civil people.
    Last edited by aboutime; 12-31-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

13. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Brandy Zadrozny wrote for The Daily Beast 2 January 2015:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Texas Gun Slingers Police the Police — On any given night in Arlington, Texas, a group of open-carry activists turned self-appointed cop-watchers can be found walking by the side of the road, in safety-yellow reflector vests with cameras pointed at police. They carry "FILM THE POLICE" signs, and sometimes, in a habit that's become of increasing concern to the officers being watched, they're carrying guns of their own. ..."The police department in Arlington is out of control and keeps wrongfully arresting people for doing things that are well within their rights," Watkins said in part of a statement provided to The Daily Beast. "It's wasting taxpayer money and it's violating the rights of the people."

..."We don't mind them cop-watching. Just leave your guns in the car. Leave your guns at home," Lt. Christopher Cook told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. But such a bargain seems unlikely. Certified letters from the Arlington Police Department requesting a meeting with the cop-watch and open-carry groups have been denied and ignored. Responding to Cordova's arrest, cop-watch leader Watkins posted a video doubling down: "You disobey the oath that you took and you kidnap and harass citizens who are well within their rights and this is what you get: pissed off patriots.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

15. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Looks like 2015 will just be a repeat of 2014. And, I stand by my suggestion to change the title.

What an appropriate suggestion it seems to be. Highly unfair, much like some of us saying ALL Democrats, ALL Black Americans, and ALL Cops are under the same hateful blanket.

Until we can stop the generalizations, and accusations. We will NEVER solve any problems as a civil people.
    AT: Some people have a fixation on an issue.

I respect both above posters a lot, but I work with LE Agencies and individuals.

The examples posted are possibly true, depending on the source.

What is ABSENT in most mainstream media are the countless stories where an officer
    either risks his/her life to help someone or demonstrates human kindness while in uniform.

I have been accosted by crooked Cops - both in West Virginia and Los Angeles. But I have
    also had very positive inaction with cops across the country.

I am trained as a Federal Officer, although I do not perform that these days.

Blanket hatred of LE is ignorant, and most likely, seeking trouble where none should exist.

17. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

These lying cops cost their cities BigBux, and the settlements are not nearly enough for the hassle that the defendant has to go through. And, the award should come right out of the police budget until they are all walking a beat. Maybe then, just maybe, they will see the light and begin to reform. But until then the subterfuge and deceit goes on...
    Not to long ago, several people were killed in Southern California when a military pilot on a training exercise crashed into a neighborhood. I don't remember the pilot being villianized, or the military called out for their blunders. They rarely are.
    Law enforcement do a dangerous job. They are targets every day. Yet you rarely see them built up like the military are. It's unfortunate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Not to long ago, several people were killed in Southern California when a military pilot on a training exercise crashed into a neighborhood. I don't remember the pilot being villianized, or the military called out for their blunders. They rarely are.
    Law enforcement do a dangerous job. They are targets every day. Yet you rarely see them built up like the military are. It's unfortunate.
    Gabs, are you truly attempting to correlate an accident with willful disobedience/flaunting of the law????

Those two scenarios are so far apart you might as well have said that about every person that has wrecked a care and caused damage or loss of life.

The stories presented here are of bad people hiding behind a badge and using it to their full advantage to inflict harm on others. That is CRIMINAL NOT negligence or an accident!!!!
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

20. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I challenge you to show us AT where anyone in this thread has said ALL cops!?!?!? Please show us where that was stated!!!??? YOU my friend are the ONLY one making generalities. In fact after rereading this thread there are about 1/3 of the post supporting police officers and 2/3 pointing out some bad behavior but no where is there a "ALL COPS ARE BAD" posted anywhere!!!!!!!

Try reading instead of speaking in generalities like you accuse others of!!!
    Last edited by Nukeman; 01-02-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

22. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Very true, Nukeman. But these incidents are very isolated and few in number. They do not represent the rank and file of officers.
    Power can corrupt at all levels. We have a lot of veterans who have PTSD and other mental illnesses. Many have committed horrific crimes. Does this mean every veteran should be treated like they are homicidal maniacs?
    There are cops who have committed crimes. There are bankers and firemen and construction workers who have committed crimes.

Sorry, I just don't understand the animosity toward police officers. The majority are good people.