Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Very true, Nukeman. But these incidents are very isolated and few in number. They do not represent the rank and file of officers.
    Power can corrupt at all levels. We have a lot of veterans who have PTSD and other mental illnesses. Many have committed horrific crimes. Does this mean every veteran should be treated like they are homicidal maniacs?
    There are cops who have committed crimes. There are bankers and firemen and construction workers who have committed crimes.

Sorry, I just don't understand the animosity toward police officers. The majority are good people.
    The majority may be good but we have even the "good" protecting the bad with their "code"!!!

The problem with a police officer committing a serious crime is that they are TRUSTED to help and not to take advantage... When we have a physician that does something heinous we hear about from the heavens (damn greedy doctors how dare they take advantage). Yet is we have a LEO do something bad like MURDER and cover it up or plant drugs on innocent people to meet a quota that my friend RUINS lives beyond repair! These people are in places for OUR protection to SERVE us not for them to serve themselves. If they don't have that in them than they need to find a new profession.

I look at the LEO's from when I was young, they did EVERYTHING in their power to NOT pull a gun they tried to DEESCALATE a situation. Today it seams the LEO's are looking for a reason to bring more charges and escalate to a confrontation.

I can give you examples of my dealing and I am generally very respectful of officers however, when you ask a simple question and he reaches for his gun and exclaims "Oh this is getting out of hand" for a freaking question ON MY PROPERTY I placed my hands palms out and asked again what he was talking about and he gets all indignant I mean after all how dare I ask a question he doesn't want to answer. I finally told him he could get off my property and he asked me if I want to go to jail (I had done nothing he was there for someone else)!! That is what has become the norm and NOT the exception!!!
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Sorry Nuke. Perhaps you have a bad reputation among police. I don't know because I am not you.
    My sister lives in East Los Angeles. It's not a place where police feel comfortable. The only times where police draw weapons or act confrontational is among those they know to possess weapons.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Sorry Nuke. Perhaps you have a bad reputation among police. I don't know because I am not you.
    My sister lives in East Los Angeles. It's not a place where police feel comfortable. The only times where police draw weapons or act confrontational is among those they know to possess weapons.
    Actually I am friends with a number of LEO's in my community and they coach my boys in wrestling (have for years) they come to my house and I go to theirs. I spend a lot of time with them, and they will also make comments about the "new" recruits and how they seem to be out to "make a name for themselves"

It is as if the accadamys have lost something in their recruiting, it isn't a calling anymore its a "job" and that is the problem!!!!!!!!
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    It is as if the accadamys have lost something in their recruiting, it isn't a calling anymore its a "job" and that is the problem!!!!!!!!
    Same can be said about the military. They should abandon quotas and just encourage people to serve.
    I know for sure that LAPD has lowered their standards in order to fill their recruiting classes. It's something that should never happen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Failure to Protect and Serve

Journalist Mark Gillispie wrote for The Associated Press 9 January 2015:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A civil rights group says footage from a surveillance video that shows the fatal shooting of a 12-year-old boy carrying a pellet gun and the rough treatment of his teenage sister is evidence that Cleveland police officers fail to protect and serve citizens.

The surveillance video, released by the city Thursday, shows an officer shooting Tamir Rice and then another officer shoving the boy's 14-year-old sister to the ground when she runs toward the scene. The shooting occurred Nov. 22 outside a recreation center after the officers were answering a call about a man in the park with a gun. The video also shows officers handcuffing the struggling girl and putting her in a patrol car parked next to her brother.

The video begins with rookie Officer Timothy Loehmann shooting the boy within 2 seconds of Officer Frank Garmback stopping their patrol car. Police officials have said Loehmann ordered the boy three times to put his hands in the air...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

"they took an oath to protect and serve, not shoot and disregard."

Officer Loehmann must have shouted his command "three times to put his hands in the air" really quite rapidly to get it out within the two seconds before he shot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Jan 8, 2015 By PoliceOne Staff
    PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area man known for his outspoken stance against law enforcement accepted an invitation from Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office to undergo shoot-no-shoot simulation training to better understand the stresses and split-second decisions officers are faced with.
    Reverend Jarrett Maupin, a civil rights activist who organized protests following the officer-involved shooting in Ferguson, endured three shoot-no-shoot scenarios, each one followed by an evaluation of when he sensed a threat and why he drew his weapon.
    <aside class="related-content-container"> <figure>Nothing to hide: Why you should invite citizens to UOF training</figure> My chief invited the mayor and city council members to a reality-based video course.

In the first scenario, Maupin approached a suspect in a parking lot and was ‘shot’ almost instantly. In the second, the reverend approached two men fighting, and fired his weapon when one of the men charged him....

</aside>

Pastor honest enough to modify his stance.

If All sides are honest and rational, people with good intentions can work things out.
    sadly mistakes happen. All sides need to walk in the others shoes from time to time and not assume others are just enemies.

But we should never cover-up or dismiss intentionally bad behavior from anyone either.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

8. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

From The Associated Press 10 January 2015:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The distraught woman messaged police this week telling them she was going to hurt herself, but she refused to pick up her phone. So dispatchers with Post Falls police used text messages - about 60 or so over the next hour - to help the woman. ...Texting is different than talking on the phone, and dispatchers were "on pins and needles" waiting for the next text to pop up, Holbrook said. ...Police launched the new text-a-crime system in early 2013, and said at the time that they were looking for new ways to get information to solve crimes and respond to emergencies. They believe texting crime tips will catch on with young people and, hopefully, generate leads for police. The service may also benefit people who are hearing impaired.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

article

10. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    [/h]

Pastor honest enough to modify his stance.

If All sides are honest and rational, people with good intentions can work things out.
    sadly mistakes happen. All sides need to walk in the others shoes from time to time and not assume others are just enemies.

But we should never cover-up or dismiss intentionally bad behavior from anyone either.
    Rev between the boldedd and what he said in the video, well that has been my exact issue all along, we can't forget someone's bad behavior brought the police there and hey just follow orders from the police, if and when they are wrong then it is time to fighjt it but at least your still alive.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Rev between the boldedd and what he said in the video, well that has been my exact issue all along, we can't forget someone's bad behavior brought the police there and hey just follow orders from the police, if and when they are wrong then it is time to fighjt it but at least your still alive.
    Reminds me of the incident at Ruby Ridge...

A few years ago, Bo Gritz mediated between government forces and Randy Weaver, who had lost his wife and son in a stand-off at Ruby Ridge. Mr. Weaver, dejected at the loss, was determined that he would lose his life before capitulating. Mr. Gritz was permitted, by government forces, to approach the Weaver cabin and talk with Mr. Weaver. Mr. Gritz reasoned with Mr. Weaver that if he continued his resistance, he, and the rest of his family, would probably be killed. He reasoned that Mr. Weaver must live so that his story could be told. If he was killed, his story may never be told. As a result of this intervention, Mr. Weaver was afforded the opportunity to show the world that the government agencies involved in the siege, including the Justice Department, had lied to the courts, the press, and the world.

Mr. Weaver, and the remainder of his family, received a judgment from government of over 3 million dollars.

13. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Journalists Benjamin Weiser and Stephanie Clifford wrote for The New York Times 12 January 2015:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The New York City comptroller, Scott M. Stringer, has agreed to pay $17 million to settle three more claims based on wrongful criminal convictions, his office said on Sunday, part of an emerging strategy to resolve civil rights cases before they are formally filed as lawsuits in court. The settlements were reached with three defendants whose cases involved Louis Scarcella, the retired homicide detective whose investigative tactics have come under question and whose cases are being reviewed by the Brooklyn district attorney’s office. The men, Robert Hill, Alvena Jennette and Darryl Austin, who are half brothers, spent a combined total of 60 years in prison — one died there — before their convictions, made in the 1980s, were vacated by a judge in May. The office of Kenneth P. Thompson, the Brooklyn district attorney, is examining 130 convictions, including 70 cases in which Mr. Scarcella played a key role.

...The two earlier prelitigation deals were a $6.4 million settlement last February with David Ranta, who was imprisoned for 23 years after being wrongfully convicted of murder, and a $2.25 million agreement in October with the family of Jerome Murdough, a homeless veteran who died at Rikers Island in an overheated jail cell. Mr. Stringer said in December that he also hoped to settle a $75 million claim filed by the family of Eric Garner, an unarmed man who died last summer after an officer used a chokehold during a confrontation with the police on Staten Island.

...Claims have also been filed against the state; they have not been resolved.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

These settlements should come out of the police budget as a reminder of what happens when the police lie to gain convictions.
    Last edited by indago; 01-12-2015 at 09:14 AM.

15. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

From The New York Times 14 January 2015:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    What is a year of your life worth? How about 10 years? Or 20? In many ways the question is unanswerable: Who can assign a dollar amount to the experience of watching a child grow up, of being able to care for an elderly parent? But when the government has wrongfully convicted and imprisoned someone, a cash payout is the most meaningful way to make amends and achieve some measure of belated justice. ...Compensating those who have been wrongfully convicted is not just about correcting a manifest injustice. People who come out of prison after many years face all kinds of obstacles to rebuilding their lives.

...Nearly every day, there is another story of a man or woman walking out of prison after years of wrongful incarceration, whether because of newly uncovered DNA evidence, a mistaken identification or a prosecutor’s misconduct. It would be nice to think that officials entrusted with the power to put people behind bars will always do the right thing, but it helps when real money is on the line.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

article

17. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Journalist Larry Neumeister wrote for The Associated Press 31 January 2015:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New York City agreed Friday to pay $3.9 million to the family of a black Bronx teenager shot to death by a white police officer in 2012. The deal settled a federal lawsuit brought by the family of 18-year-old Ramarley Graham. ...Graham died after he was shot once in the chest in February 2012 in a tiny bathroom in the three-family home where he lived with his grandmother and other relatives. Richard Haste, the officer who shot him, said he fired his weapon because he thought he was going to be shot. No weapons were found in the apartment.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

Another case where the settlement should come directly from the police budget as a reminder of what happens when the police "shoot first" policy is implemented.

19. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

From The Los Angeles Times 5 February 2015:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Two Philadelphia police officers were charged Thursday with beating a man on a scooter nearly two years ago and lying about it, resulting in wrongful charges against him. ...In Philadelphia, charges came after the surprise emergence of a surveillance video that shows two officers pummeling a scooter rider. The scene appeared to contradict the officers' original account of the incident, in which they had portrayed the suspect, Najee Rivera, as a violent and vicious attacker. “The video undermined every aspect of the officers’ account of the incident," Philadelphia Dist. Atty. Seth Williams said at a televised news conference Thursday...

...The grand jury recommended eight charges for each officer: criminal conspiracy, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment, tampering with public records, false reports to law enforcement, obstruction, and official oppression.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

article

21. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Police Beating

The $200,000 Settlement should come out of the police budget as a reminder that police brutality is no longer an option in the police department.

23. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I still believe the new title of this thread should become WHY I HATE COPS!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !