Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Hostages held in Sydney cafe, Islamic flag seen in window: local TV

Hostages held in Sydney cafe, Islamic flag seen in window: local TV

Reuters
    By Matt Siegel

By Matt Siegel

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Hostages were being held inside a central Sydney cafe where a black flag with white Arabic writing could be seen in the window, local television showed on Monday, raising fears of an attack linked to Islamic militants.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said he was convening a meeting of the cabinet's national security committee for a briefing on what he called a hostage situation in Australia's commercial capital.

Australia, which is backing the United States and its escalating action against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, is on high alert for attacks by radicalised Muslims or by home-grown fighters returning from the conflict in the Middle East.

Dozens of heavily armed police surrounded the Lindt Cafe in Martin Place, home to the Reserve Bank of Australia, commercial banks and close to the New South Wales (NSW) state parliament.

Live television footage showed patrons inside the cafe standing with their hands pressed against the windows. A black and white flag similar to those used by Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria was also visible.

NSW Police tweeted: "A police operation is underway in Martin Place, Sydney's CBD. People are advised to avoid the area."

A couple of hundred people were being held back by cordons and the fire brigade's hazardous unit was on the scene, a Reuters witness said.

The Reserve Bank of Australia, near the cafe, said staff had been locked down inside the building, and were all safe and accounted for.

Local media reported that the nearby Sydney Opera House had been evacuated after a suspicious package had been found. A staff member at the world-famous venue said she was still in the building but declined to comment further and police said they were still trying to confirm the incident.

Trains and buses were stopped and roads were blocked in the area, with train operators saying there had been a bomb threat at Martin Place.

Traders in currency markets said the hostage news may have contributed to a dip in the Australian dollar, which was already under pressure from global risk aversion as oil prices fell anew. The local currency was pinned at $0.8227, having hit its lowest since mid-2010 last week.

In September, Australian anti-terrorism police said they had thwarted an imminent threat to behead a random member of the public and days later, a teenager in Melbourne was shot dead after attacking two anti-terrorism officers with a knife

Does anybody know where Jafar is and what he is doing now???
    The sooner these animals are put down like the mad rabid dogs they are the better. The sooner Islam is addressed and -actually forced--TO STOP THIS THE BETTER IMHO.
    Sure seems it has no problem reacting swiftly and with brute force when infidels attack it or insult it..
    We must stop letting them get by with lying that its not them--that its rogue-radical elements..
    It is them, they are the farm, those elements do their biddings.. The fact that such elements fight each other is not different than Sunni and Shia fighting each other. That infighting does not prove those groups are radical elements or that they are not supported by either the Sunni or the Shia. Islam plays that on dumbass infidels and are aided by their Western appeasers and allies.. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Jeff, LongTermGuy, aboutime, Drummond, Kathianne and 1 others thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post

Does anybody know where Jafar is and what he is doing now???
    Unlike yourself, Jafar is most likely at work. He has an honest job, which is quite good at. He actually makes a lot of money. Can you say the same?

No one is saying such, but this is likely NOT a terrorist attack. I know that would make you unhappy.
    Witnesses on Sydney radio (which you can listen to live if you wish) identify the hostage taker as an older man with blonde hair and a beard. The first thing he asked for was to speak with PM Tony Abbott. When that was denied, he refused further communication.
    Unlike most Islamic terrorist attacks, there have been no statements, no demands and no threats.
    Terrorist attacks are very well planned and coordinated actions. They are not one guy walking into a coffee shop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Unlike yourself, Jafar is most likely at work. He has an honest job, which is quite good at. He actually makes a lot of money. Can you say the same?

No one is saying such, but this is likely NOT a terrorist attack. I know that would make you unhappy.
    Witnesses on Sydney radio (which you can listen to live if you wish) identify the hostage taker as an older man with blonde hair and a beard. The first thing he asked for was to speak with PM Tony Abbott. When that was denied, he refused further communication.
    Unlike most Islamic terrorist attacks, there have been no statements, no demands and no threats.
    Terrorist attacks are very well planned and coordinated actions. They are not one guy walking into a coffee shop.
    Unlike yourself, Jafar is most likely at work. He has an honest job, which is quite good at. He actually makes a lot of money. Can you say the same
    Hey, how about you hold those damn horses .
    Listen here I don't play that shit.
    Don't question me on my life and make rude ass remarks as you do. You don't know enough about me or my life for that nor was it called for.
    I have went out of my way to be as respectful to you as possible. To expect the same is not unreasonable nor is it excessive..
    If you have a damn hard on for Jafar that's your damn tough luck.
    Trust me, I can make you look like a fool a thousand ways if I ever get started down that path..
    Don't try that ffing shit with me--no way can you ever match me at it!

Best you read the article, the article states it was likely a muslim terrorist.
    SYDNEY (Reuters) - Hostages were being held inside a central Sydney cafe where a black flag with white Arabic writing could be seen in the window, local television showed on Monday, raising fears of an attack linked to Islamic militants

I joked about Jafar, no biggie.
    Really, terrorist attacks are not one guy doing the deed?? Are you daft?
    1. Fort Hood, 2. lady got her head cut clean off recently, 3. shoe bomber, 4. Times Square BOMBER , all were one terrorist acting alone.. -Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 12-14-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

5. Thanks Drummond, red state thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Joke? Continually accusing someone of being a terrorist involving in killing people and funding a terrorist group is far from being a "joke."
    Jafar attempted to contribute to this board. You (and others) constantly harassed and bullied him until he left.
    Tyr, I do have respect for your wit and intelligence, but your continual hard on with Muslim hate is nothing but ignorance and stupidity. Redneck whites from the early 60's didn't do it better than you do.

One armed person waving a flag is far from a "terrorist threat." He could be mentally ill, or have a personal issue. At this point, he doesn't fit the profile for a terrorist.
    You don't joke about being a terrorist. This has probably blown up in a way the poor idiot never anticipated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Joke? Continually accusing someone of being a terrorist involving in killing people and funding a terrorist group is far from being a "joke."
    Jafar attempted to contribute to this board. You (and others) constantly harassed and bullied him until he left.
    Tyr, I do have respect for your wit and intelligence, but your continual hard on with Muslim hate is nothing but ignorance and stupidity. Redneck whites from the early 60's didn't do it better than you do.

One armed person waving a flag is far from a "terrorist threat." He could be mentally ill, or have a personal issue. At this point, he doesn't fit the profile for a terrorist.
    You don't joke about being a terrorist. This has probably blown up in a way the poor idiot never anticipated.
    So we both have hard ons..
    I bet you a hundred bucks that mine is bigger..
    By the way, I never accused him of being a terrorist, I only accused him of supporting terrorists which he admitted with his constant support of Hamas and refusal to ever condemn Hamas.
    The article stated the sign in the window, black flag and written in Arabic.
    So now you add redneck to my list...
    Go ahead, its the typical response . I've gotten it from those I beat(with TRUTH) on internet boards for many years now.
    Jafar supported terrorists and was unrepentant about it.
    To me that takes him firmly out of the good guy group. To tailfins and you it does not.
    Id say that quite likely you two are the only ones here now that still put him in the good guy group.
    Others are very welcome to state otherwise if they wish.. -Tyr

8. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Don't question me on my life and make rude ass remarks as you do. You don't know enough about me or my life for that nor was it called for.
    You're the one that admitted that you're no longer gainfully employed.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

So we both have hard ons..
    I bet you a hundred bucks that mine is bigger..
    By the way, I never accused him of being a terrorist, I only accused him of supporting terrorists which he admitted with his constant support of Hamas and refusal to ever condemn Hamas.
    The article stated the sign in the window, black flag and written in Arabic.
    So now you add redneck to my list...
    Go ahead, its the typical response . I've gotten it from those I beat(with TRUTH) on internet boards for many years now.
    Jafar supported terrorists and was unrepentant about it.
    To me that takes him firmly out of the good guy group. To tailfins and you it does not.
    Id say that quite likely you two are the only ones here now that still put him in the good guy group.
    Others are very welcome to state otherwise if they wish.. -Tyr
    If I lived in Australia, I'd probably find Jafar a nice neighbor. He liked to walk with his family, I'd have liked to have walked along too. Problems would have arose if we started speaking about Israel for certain.

My guess though Israel wouldn't have come up. Jafar actually sounded more 'inclusive' in everyday topics than many of the Muslims I encountered at my kids' high school. I doubt very much he would have been pitching fits on some everyday issues. I know I don't bring up the Middle East with acquaintances, but messageboards are different.

With his opinions I disagreed. To the best of my knowledge he thought he wasn't advocating violence, I repeatedly pointed out that not condemning the Hamas Charter was supporting the hope for genocide. He didn't like that, but we never found ourselves in the 'You should die,' type of conversations.

I think abortion is murder. Yet, I wouldn't say that someone who disagrees is going to hell. I might think it, but that particular decision is God's, not mine. I know that according to the Bible, that if a person that has had one or performs one, asks for forgiveness, it will be forgiven. Same with any murderer.

I believe we should strenuously argue our POV, but should also be reasonable to the thinking of others. If we are, they may provide opportunities to turn their hearts or minds.

Again, I'd give the same advice to Congress, this administration, and extremist groups of all beliefs.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

11. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign..._War#Australia

Foreign rebel fighters in the Syrian Civil War

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Australia[edit]

There were an estimated 50[38]–100 Australians fighting in the country as of January 2014, with total calculations for the war reaching about 200 fighters. About six were reported to have died and the others were suggested as having returned home. In Sydney and Melbourne, in particular, opponents and supporters of the government have resorted to beatings, assaults, shootings and property, largely along sectarian lines. There were more than 15 incidents of violence involving members of the Lebanese, Turkish and Syrian communities, although in 2013 it had decreased from the previous year. The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) reported at the end of the year: "The situation in Syria, with the potential for violence spilling into other parts of the Middle East, increases the possibility of associated communal violence in Australia and remains a concern for ASIO." Zaky Mallah, the first person to be charged and acquitted under Australia's anti-terrorism laws, suggested: "The majority of Australians heading to Syria are from Lebanese backgrounds. The Lebanese youth here feel disadvantaged, isolated and discriminated against. Many [are] unemployed and have turned to religion as a result." After the death of a couple from western Sydney in the country, Immigration Minister Scott Morrison suggested those fighting in Syria could risk losing their citizenship, while the Australian Federal Police added that those returning from the fighting would be considered a national security threat. ASIO confiscated the passports of those it suspected of travelling to engage in "politically motivated violence;" from mid-2012 to mid-2013 18 passports were confiscated. Former Victoria Multicultural Affairs Commissioner and founder of the Australian Arabic Council Joseph Wakim said:[54]

"The new coalition government has been critical of both sides and sympathetic to the Christian minorities who have been targeted by the anti-Assad [
    sic] forces. With Australia's suite of anti-terror laws, and concerted efforts by our intelligence agencies to share resources and establish strategic community contacts, Australia's buffer against terrorist acts has been bolstered. Local community elders and clerics have also been more vigilant and public in encouraging good citizenship and close cooperation with authorities, including denouncing potential terrorists. [Those Australian fighting in Syria had a perceived moral duty to aid their Muslim brothers to] rid Syria of an infidel secular authoritarian regime and replace it with one that upholds their brand version of pure Islam. While there is no evidence of such individuals planning attacks in Australia, their recruitment activities tap into a population of Australian-born and disengaged youth searching for a worthy cause – and at times martyrdom."
    So, might have an Aussie with Islamic tendencies have gone too far?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    If I lived in Australia, I'd probably find Jafar a nice neighbor. He liked to walk with his family, I'd have liked to have walked along too. Problems would have arose if we started speaking about Israel for certain.

My guess though Israel wouldn't have come up. Jafar actually sounded more 'inclusive' in everyday topics than many of the Muslims I encountered at my kids' high school. I doubt very much he would have been pitching fits on some everyday issues. I know I don't bring up the Middle East with acquaintances, but messageboards are different.

With his opinions I disagreed. To the best of my knowledge he thought he wasn't advocating violence, I repeatedly pointed out that not condemning the Hamas Charter was supporting the hope for genocide. He didn't like that, but we never found ourselves in the 'You should die,' type of conversations.

I think abortion is murder. Yet, I wouldn't say that someone who disagrees is going to hell. I might think it, but that particular decision is God's, not mine. I know that according to the Bible, that if a person that has had one or performs one, asks for forgiveness, it will be forgiven. Same with any murderer.

I believe we should strenuously argue our POV, but should also be reasonable to the thinking of others. If we are, they may provide opportunities to turn their hearts or minds.

Again, I'd give the same advice to Congress, this administration, and extremist groups of all beliefs.
    Bear in mind the Islamic requirement for prayers, 5 times a day .. !!

Jafar stated on this forum that one of them was undertaken, every 'day', at 4AM !! So I suggest that any neighbours Jafar has, have to be EXTREMELY understanding (and insomniacs ) !!

Note to Gabby ..I support Tyr's comments to you. You should not forget that, when the last Israeli / Hamas confrontation happened, Jafar's 'peaceful' pretentions went out the window. No matter what Hamas did, no matter what the savagery, he supported them ! And his attacks against Israel were as predictable as they were driven by the bog-standard hatred one could always expect of a Hamas supporter ..
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

14. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    You're the one that admitted that you're no longer gainfully employed.
    That's a damn lie. I've never once on this site stated I was not employed or was retired.

Cite that quote by me here or else admit your error (be it deliberate or not)...
    I can wait, but you'll not find it and its an assumption you've made.. -Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

That's a damn lie. I've never once on this site stated I was not employed or was retired.

Cite that quote by me here or else admit your error (be it deliberate or not)...
    I can wait, but you'll not find it and its an assumption you've made.. -Tyr
    I remember you said you were 68. I also remember something about your Social Security check. There search feature here at DP isn't so great.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I remember you said you were 68. I also remember something about your Social Security check. There search feature here at DP isn't so great.
    Tailfins .... I've no intention of volunteering hard information for Tyr .. it is, after all, HIS business ...

.. but I can tell you that your statement of Tyr's supposed 'age' is incorrect. Considering this just as it stands, I'd advise you to rethink your position ...
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

18. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I am 60 years old, not qualified for Social Security until after my 62nd birthday.
    Keep searching until the cows come home --your memory is in great error amigo.

I am however glad to see you made the comment based on faulty memory rather than deliberate lying.
    As I can and do commiserate with you on the faulty memory part--mine having been going south on that a lot this last year..

Why would I care unless the statement was in error? I wouldn't but I will not let any error or any lie about me stand uncontested.
    Check my post in the Gaffer update thread. There I posted that my father died of cancer in 1969 and that I was just 15 years old, that means I was born in 1954 which makes me now 60 years old.
    Also I've never once in my life ever stated that I was retired or drawing Social Security.
    As I am neither..
    Here I went and got it for you..

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
    I've just begun to fight!
    Join Date:May 2012Location:USA, SouthernPosts:13,347Thanks:6,608Thanked 4,389 Times in 2,455 Posts Rep Power:4330719

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post

Please tell him WE are all praying for him. Can't hold back the tears. God Bless All of You.
    My reply,
    That picture of him now so reminded me of my Dad , when he came home from the hospital in 1969. I too, had tears for both..
    Nothing in this world is worse than going thru what he and his family are going thru right now. I've know too having been there when I was only 15 years old. It utterly destroyed me until I was 32 years old..
    May God bless Gaffer and all his family as only he can...--Tyr

“I will stand with the Muslims , The Audacity of Hope” page 261… Barak Obama-Traitor
    "We say Grace, we say Ma'am. If you ain't into that we don't give a damn." Hank Jr.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to kill those who interrupt that serenity, and the wisdom to know where to bury the bodies."
    Apology will be accepted should you choose to give one, since you erred due to faulty memory and not lying intent. .. -Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 12-15-2014 at 09:46 AM.

20. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

The storming of the chocolate shop was unbelievable.

There has been confirmation of ties between the hostage taker and ISIS.

The guy was a self-proclaimed sheik from Iran, well known to police. (Yes, Iran-weird to be with ISIS).

So, it appears to be terrorism for certain.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I woke up to the seige of the building, sounded like an explosion. Might have been the police blowing a door, but the Iranian claimed there were two bombs in the building and more in surrounding area.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...endan-bordelon

Sydney Hostage-Taker Identified as Iranian ‘Hate Sheikh’ Man Haron MonisBy Brendan Bordelon
    December 15, 2014 10:35 AM

The gunman holding multiple hostages in a Sydney café has been identified as 49-year-old Man Haron Monis, an Iranian immigrant to Australia dubbed the “hate sheikh” by the media for harassing the families of Australian soldiers who died in Afghanistan.

A self-styled Islamic cleric and “spiritual healer,” Monis has a long rap sheet — including at least a dozen sexual assault charges and accessory charges to the murder of his ex-wife, found stabbed and set alight in a stairwell last year. His new wife is charged with the murder.

The Iranian earned the ire of Australian media by sending a series of hate messages to the families of dead Australian soldiers, accusing the deceased of being “murderers” and child-killers during their tours in Afghanistan. Monis was charged and convicted under Australian hate speech laws for the letters.

Monis took up to thirty hostages at Sydney’s Lindt Chocolat Cafe at around 9 A.M. local time Sunday morning, demanding an Islamic State flag and asking to speak directly to the Australian prime minister. Though some hostages managed to escape, as of around 2 A.M. a number of hostages remained inside the café.