Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    That was a great speech. Nicholson was awesome in that flick!
    One of my favorite "speeches" from TV. And even though it might be TV, his words couldn't be truer.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I came across this, thought some of you might like to read it:

http://oafnation.com/2015/01/26/amer...e-of-veterans/

<header class="entry-header page-header" style="box-sizing: border-box; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 20px; border: none; overflow: hidden; clear: both; -webkit-box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.380392) 0px 0px 1px 0px inset; box-shadow: none; border-radius: 0px; color: rgb(71, 71, 71); font-family: 'Open Sans'; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.7999992370605px;">American Sniper: The Voice of Veterans

<time class="entry-date published" datetime="2015-01-26T17:03:25+00:00" style="box-sizing: border-box;">01/26/2015</time>

“This city is haunted by ghosts from broken homes.“ -Alexisonfire</header>
    Well, it’s a new year. Welcome to 2015. This is the year we were supposed to have flying cars and hover boards. Color me disappointed.

However, what 2015 HAS given us is a voice. I say this because I just saw American Sniper yesterday. I’m not going to get into Chris Kyle as a man. I never had the privilege of knowing him. I have a few friends that operated with him, and had nothing but great things to say about him. I’m not going to sit and bitch about any Hollywood inconstancies that arise when flash and pomp take precedence over authenticity.

I am, however, going to talk about the precedence this film set for veterans and the direction I’m hoping the population of this country will take.
    American Sniper, though being marketed as a hero movie, goes far beyond that. It isn’t an action movie. Yes, there IS action in the film; but it’s not the sole focus. I can see a lot of people leaving the movie disappointed because there wasn’t as much running and gunning as in say, Act of Valor or Lone Survivor.

What the movie accomplishes, for me and for US, is that it finally depicts WHY coming home is the hardest part for most of us. So many movies in Hollywood either touch briefly on the subject, or completely miss the mark. The Hurt Locker, love it or hate it, has a very poignant scene in the grocery store where Renner’s character has returned from a tour in Iraq and life seems mundane and boring compared to the excitement and rush of defusing bombs. The premise is botched in that, most veteran’s aren’t missing the experience because they’re bored and need an adrenaline rush; they miss their brothers and that bond that frankly WILL NEVER be experienced here at home. THAT is the drug for which most of us are fiending.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default BOTTOM LINE...today, in America.

As Nicholson so accurately told TOM CRUISE. "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

That line applies to all of the Hypocrite Americans among us who DEMAND to be protected from being offended, insulted, and bothered by people who think differently. Namely, all of those who Pretend to Love America as long as they get what they want...all the time. While they also pretend to be so Tolerant, and disrespect the people who protect them, and their rights...LIKE POLICE OFFICERS, and AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBERS who happen to be Snipers.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

5. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

One of the main complaints I have seen about "American Sniper" is that it doesn't fully portray Chris Kyle's entire character.
    Sure, he was a war hero. But the war broke him. He returned mentally spent and delusional. He was unable to live with the person that he had become.
    If the movie had shown the person that Chris Kyle has become, perhaps it would shame our government into overhauling and upgrading the mental health care we offer our returning veterans. Which is currently a joke and a sham.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    One of the main complaints I have seen about "American Sniper" is that it doesn't fully portray Chris Kyle's entire character.
    Sure, he was a war hero. But the war broke him. He returned mentally spent and delusional. He was unable to live with the person that he had become.
    If the movie had shown the person that Chris Kyle has become, perhaps it would shame our government into overhauling and upgrading the mental health care we offer our returning veterans. Which is currently a joke and a sham.
    Mentally spent and delusional? Hmmmm...are you talking about Chris Kyle or Obama?

I think "mentally spent and delusional" could apply to the majority of Americans at this point. However, I do agree with you that the government does need to provide more support to service members and their families for everything they have done for this country.

I sincerely believe Chris was getting back on track before he was tragically killed trying to help another vet heal. What he couldn't live with was not being able to save more while he was there and not going back to try and save more after he came home. I think that is what broke him ... not what he did while he was there.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

8. Thanks LongTermGuy, Kathianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Let's face it. Kyle was a war hero. But he was also a deranged sociopath who enjoyed killing people. He became delusional. Like his story about sitting on the Superdome during Katrina and picking off looters.
    The worse thing about "American Sniper" was the reaction it inspired from right-wing extremists. If you didn't like the movie, you weren't patriotic, and thus deserved to die. Because you didn't like a movie?

http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-an...RTnS4.facebook

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Gabby ... I am not a "right wing extremist" but it does piss me off that people who haven't even seen the movie are condemning it just because it's about a soldier who is a hero for killing bad guys. It's not about liking or not liking the movie. People who haven't even seen it are making disparaging remarks about it, which leads those of us who did see it, and felt that it depicted a snapshot of our lives (military wife), to be a little pissed (actually a lot pissed). And, to attack Chris Kyle and call him a sociopath because he killed the enemy protecting his fellow soldiers is just sad and shows how out of touch people are with what it takes to protect this country from true sociopaths like terrorists.

Here's a great article explaining why the liberal left hate this movie.

Every liberal may not have a problem with this movie, but why is it that so many do? Is it that Kyle was a sniper? Is it because Clint Eastwood directed the movie? Could liberals just be traumatized from their battles with Duck Dynasty and hate guys with beards? What is their problem with American Sniper?

Simple: their problem is that they don’t like soldiers like Chris Kyle and they detest the movie because it treats them as worthy of praise. Why do liberals feel this way?

1) Soldiers tend to be conservative: Soldiers tend to be almost reflexively conservative; so even the ones who don’t listen to Rush Limbaugh or know who Mike Lee is tend to lean to the Right. Liberals might not have a problem with traitors like Bradley Manning, deserters like Bowe Bergdahl or dirtbags like John Kerry who condemn their fellow soldiers (“randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan”), but they don’t like conservative soldiers any more than they like conservative Tea Partiers. If anything, the soldiers are worse in their eyes because the troops all have guns.

2) Soldiers tend to be patriotic: When I think of patriotism and soldiers, the first thing that comes to mind are those lines from Toby Keith’s Courtesy Of The Red, White And Blue.
    My daddy served in the army
    Where he lost his right eye
    But he flew a flag out in our yard
    Until the day that he died

In my experience, most soldiers have a deep and abiding love of country – and Chris Kyle was no different. At one point in the movie, when he’s responding to his future wife, Chris Kyle says,“Why would you say I’m self-centered? I’d lay down my life for my country.”

The sad truth is that most liberals don’t like America very much. When they think of America, they don’t think of waving flags, a city on a hill and “the land of the free,” they think of a rotten country they want to change before it hurts more people. The idea that there are people out there who are willing to die for this country because they think it’s such a great place is like a thumb in the eye for people who read Noam Chomsky, like Jane Fonda, and wish we could be more like Belgium.

3) Soldiers kill people: Why does Bill Maher think Chris Kyle was a “psychopath?” Kyle was killing bad guys, he didn’t do it for pleasure, he was justified in eliminating his targets and had he not done so, it’s likely a lot of Americans would have died. So, why does Maher call Kyle a “psychopath?” Because Chris Kyle killed people, just like our other soldiers fighting and dying in Iraq. Certainly liberals like Bill Maher would NEVER kill people….because men like Chris Kyle do it for them and the rest of us so we can stay safe. Some of us appreciate that. Liberals don’t – which is why they need to be reminded that George Orwell was right when he said, "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

4) Liberals are Utopian thinkers: Liberalism is a guy using an Apple and an IPod railing against corporations. It’s a doofus with a sign that says, “Who Needs Oil? I Ride The Bus!” It’s a guy eating a cheeseburger talking about how awful it is that anyone hunts for food. The reason that Jack Nicholson’s famous speech fromA Few Good Men resonated with so many people, even though he was a bad guy in the movie, is that what he said is such a perfect response to armchair critics who want the freedom our soldiers insure without doing the dirty, dangerous and messy work they have to do to provide it.
    You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

5) Liberals view our troops as the moral equivalent of the people they’re fighting: Liberals were very upset that Chris Kyle referred to the people we were fighting in Iraq as “savages.” Of course, if people who deliberately murder civilians, use their children as suicide bombers and inflict power drills and beheading on captives aren’t savages, then the word has no meaning. Unfortunately, liberals have become so reluctant to make moral judgments that they are simply unable to see the differences between our troops and the people they’re fighting.
    http://townhall.com/columnists/johnh...-kyle-n1948611

P.S. You know the trolls at your website could very well be left wing extremists just posting to fan the flames. The vitriol certainly sounds like progressive anarchists.
    Last edited by SassyLady; 02-01-2015 at 01:02 AM.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

11. Thanks LongTermGuy, Kathianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Gabby ... I am not a "right wing extremist" but it does piss me off that people who haven't even seen the movie are condemning it just because it's about a soldier who is a hero for killing bad guys. It's not about liking or not liking the movie. People who haven't even seen it are making disparaging remarks about it, which leads those of us who did see it, and felt that it depicted a snapshot of our lives (military wife), to be a little pissed (actually a lot pissed). And, to attack Chris Kyle and call him a sociopath because he killed the enemy protecting his fellow soldiers is just sad and shows how out of touch people are with what it takes to protect this country from true sociopaths like terrorists.

Here's a great article explaining why the liberal left hate this movie.

http://townhall.com/columnists/johnh...-kyle-n1948611

P.S. You know the trolls at your website could very well be left wing extremists just posting to fan the flames. The vitriol certainly sounds like progressive anarchists.
    They do not like the movie because it highlights their lies, their idiocy/arrogance and their abject stupidity when it comes to facing off against Evil.
    It shows a man that believed in this nation, our Constitution and the American way of life!
    All of which these liberal loons enjoy the fruits of but reject the foundation and culture born from that ideology.
    The movie just validates his hero status and gives young people a true hero, a true patriot to admire--that these vermin simply can not abide!

They think Obama is a hero!-- -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

13. Thanks LongTermGuy, Jeff, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Gabby. IT IS A MOVIE, not an autobiography/book. Hollywood can only do so much in TWO hours in a movie theater, or on a DVD. As for overhauling the VA...that has only become a political tool for certain politicians to fall back on while running for RE-ELECTION. Truth is. Nothing has improved, and the JOKE is on EVERY VETERAN like Kyle who spent their time Protecting Hypocrites while alive, only to get slammed by DUNG HEADED People like Moore, and the phony Washington/Hollywood Elites who are all LIARS.
    So, this is for them.

15. Thanks SassyLady, Jeff, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

And some of us just don't care for glorified violence of any sort. But to those of you who enjoy death and all portrayals of such, I am sure this fits the bill perfectly.
    You do understand without this guy covering our troops the deaths would of been multiplied and it would of been our men and woman on the death list right ? I understand not advocating violence but these soldiers where sent there to do a job ( they didn't decide to just go kill people in the desert ) so it is only natural to have them protected by the best, and Chris Kyle was one of the best !!!
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Gabs have you seen the movie ? They did show what a hard time Chris had coming back to reality, that was what made the movie so good, it wasn't about him just killing, it showed the stress his mind played on his marriage, it showed how it hurt his wife as much as him and at the end in a fierce fire fight ( that I am sure he knew he may not make it home ) he called his wife to tell her I am ready to come home, so yes it covered it.

18. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Gabs have you seen the movie ? They did show what a hard time Chris had coming back to reality, that was what made the movie so good, it wasn't about him just killing, it showed the stress his mind played on his marriage, it showed how it hurt his wife as much as him and at the end in a fierce fire fight ( that I am sure he knew he may not make it home ) he called his wife to tell her I am ready to come home, so yes it covered it.
    And those dichotomies are what made him even more of a hero.
    People see what they want to see. $260 million dollars tells me that most of America still gets it. Thank God.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

20. Thanks Kathianne, Jeff, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    OK, fine. I explained why I didn't see the movie. I do feel that some people are taking criticism of the movie too harshly. It is just a movie, not a referendum on who Kyle is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

OK, fine. I explained why I didn't see the movie. I do feel that some people are taking criticism of the movie too harshly. It is just a movie, not a referendum on who Kyle is.

Gabby. Go back a few of your posts on this thread, and see the definition of hypocrite...with your own words. You really are good at talking from BOTH SIDES OF YOUR MOUTH. Too bad Americans like Kyle, and I might even say...Americans like myself; devoted our lives to protecting THANKLESS, SELFISH Americans like you.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I can tell you this, after seeing the movie I felt like I had a pretty good grasp of who this American Hero was Gabs, I think those that are criticizing it, well you would get the same reaction if you showed a Klan member one of Obama's greatest accomplishments. (I know you figure I feel he has none and I don't but for the sake of argument lets say he was a great president)

See I would love to tell ya you should go see it but I know your stance on violence, but honestly I would say at least half the movie is explaining who he is and what he felt as well as what his wife felt, in a way this movie did have a love story to it as well, no not a chic flick but it was there.