Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Victory For Free Speech!

McCain-Feingold "Campaign Finance Reform" limited by SCOTUS!!!!!!!!

-----------------
    Justices Loosens Limits on Campaign Ads
    By JIM KUHNHENN 06.25.07, 6:45 PM ET

Free speech rights take precedence over government restrictions on political advertising, the Supreme Court ruled Monday in a decision that opens the door for greater influence by interest groups in the closing days of an election.

In a 5-4 ruling, the court eased legal barriers aimed at corporate- and union-financed television ads, a decision whose tone suggests greater hostility on the court to federal limitations on money in politics.

The decision upheld an appeals court ruling that a Wisconsin anti-abortion group should have been allowed to air ads during the final two months before the 2004 elections. The law unreasonably limits speech and violates the group's First Amendment rights, the court said.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3855646.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What this will do is open the door for corporations/lobbyists to have even more control over leadership in this country. What the courts have effectively done is open the door for corporate donations money to be channeled through "interest groups." This will also lead to more "swiftboat" ads, confusion about candidates, etc. Basically, our votes count for jack sh*t now because the winning candidate will just be whichever candidate is most pro-corporate interests. Whoever has the highest bidders behind him/her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

*cough*fascists hate free speech too*cough*
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    *cough*fascists hate free speech too*cough*
    Hey, if you enjoy having corporate bigwigs spoonfeed you reality and make all your important decisons for you, then by all means stay on your current track.
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    What this will do is open the door for corporations/lobbyists to have even more control over leadership in this country. What the courts have effectively done is open the door for corporate donations money to be channeled through "interest groups." This will also lead to more "swiftboat" ads, confusion about candidates, etc. Basically, our votes count for jack sh*t now because the winning candidate will just be whichever candidate is most pro-corporate interests. Whoever has the highest bidders behind him/her.
    So who should have the right to speak, and who shouldn't?
    America: White people footing the bill for a party they're not allowed to attend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ..............

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post
    So who should have the right to speak, and who shouldn't?
    Everyone should have the right to free speech!

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was happy to see that portion of McCain-Feingold ruled as un-Constitutional, although I wish the other Justices would have gone ahead and looked at the entire BCRA overturned as a violation of the First Amendment.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I knew if I waited enough YEARS you'd say something I agreed with.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    Everyone should have the right to free speech!
    Profound.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ..............

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Profound.
    Huh?

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Hey, if you enjoy having corporate bigwigs spoonfeed you reality and make all your important decisons for you, then by all means stay on your current track.
    The Mike Moore / Steve Spielberg/ Barbara Steisand corporation can spoon-feed me their version of reality all they want. They can't make my mouth open, nor can they make me swallow. My mind, and my vote, is entirely up to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    Huh?
    Even more so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    ....My mind, and my vote, is entirely up to me.
    The problem is that regular people from among the people can no longer run for public office and win. Nobody has the kind of money it takes to do that without corporate backing through special interest groups. What we get at the end of it all is the proverbial decision between a giant douche and a sh*t sandwich. Should I vote for the puppet of big oil/corporate America, or should I vote for the puppet of Hollywood/corporate America? Our system is degenerated and we need a reorganization/reprioritization. We've allowed corporate entities to gain too much power and take too much power away from the individual.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The problem is that regular people from among the people can no longer run for public office and win. Nobody has the kind of money it takes to do that without corporate backing through special interest groups. What we get at the end of it all is the proverbial decision between a giant douche and a sh*t sandwich. Should I vote for the puppet of big oil/corporate America, or should I vote for the puppet of Hollywood/corporate America? Our system is degenerated and we need a reorganization/reprioritization. We've allowed corporate entities to gain too much power and take too much power away from the individual.
    Well it is certaintly true that it takes a lot of cash to run for office, and corporations/ organizations can come up with that cash, regardless of the spending limits that they always seem to be able to get around. But the fact of the matter is these entities can't vote. Plus, with the internet and 24 hour cable news cycle these days, anyone with enough sass and imagination can make a splash, open a web site and start collecting contributions.

A perfect example is Fred Thompson. He's raising something like 10G/ minute and he hasn't even announced yet. All he has to do is smile/ wink and the cash flows in- from individuals.

Related to your issue stated is the assumption by many that "there is too much money in politics". During the last Prez election cycle I did a quick calculation based on the reported total amount spent by the candiates, divided by the population of the US. As I recall it was one billion/ 300 million, which is less than one meal at McD's. When looked at in this perspective it is more reasonable to state that politics is a bargain.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Well it is certaintly true that it takes a lot of cash to run for office, and corporations/ organizations can come up with that cash, regardless of the spending limits that they always seem to be able to get around. But the fact of the matter is these entities can't vote. Plus, with the internet and 24 hour cable news cycle these days, anyone with enough sass and imagination can make a splash, open a web site and start collecting contributions.

A perfect example is Fred Thompson. He's raising something like 10G/ minute and he hasn't even announced yet. All he has to do is smile/ wink and the cash flows in- from individuals.

Related to your issue stated is the assumption by many that "there is too much money in politics". During the last Prez election cycle I did a quick calculation based on the reported total amount spent by the candiates, divided by the population of the US. As I recall it was one billion/ 300 million, which is less than one meal at McD's. When looked at in this perspective it is more reasonable to state that politics is a bargain.
    That's a good perspective. Thanks.