Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I find it amazing that my child can't bring a peanut butter sandwich to school, but yours could bring Measles if you have some objection to vaccines.

2. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Over here in jolly ol' Blighty ... our ever-mighty NHS introduced, quite a few years ago now, the 'MMR' vaccine. 'MMR' stood for 'Mumps, Measles, Rubella'. The aim, as the name suggests, was to pack immunisations for all these three illnesses into one single shot.

The Almighty State then did its best to indoctrinate people into accepting that the MMR vaccine should be compulsory.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2088426.stm

This article pre-empts what I was going to suggest in this post .. that it'd only be a matter of time before people in the US were robbed of individual choice on the matter ! Seems that you already are .. ?

Well ... there was a lot of debate over here as to whether the jab was responsible for some autism 'outbreaks' (I see that was a concern in the US as well). Many parents refused to allow the MMR vaccination in fear of that. I for one don't blame them !

My point is this: introduce a culture of accepted compulsion into issues such as this, and it can lead, even if only theoretically, to enforced catastrophes. The medical world is ever-evolving its knowledge, and a treatment thought through ignorance to be entirely safe might ultimately prove, years later, NOT to be. Add State-backed compulsion to the mix, and you've a situation where, if individual choice had only been possible, some kids might've been saved from having their lives blighted ... 'By Order'.

I say: yes, educate. Yes, encourage treatments, always have them available and backed by the fullest known data on them. But ... compulsion ? Definitely not. Sometimes mass treatment programmes can be a good thing, but I can't believe they always, unfailingly, are. ALWAYS permit individual choice - never trample on that.

The moment you do ... you invite the culture where it can keep happening, en masse. Whether you like it, or not.
    Ah, the good old days, just over a year ago.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Can't you just wait for this to become an issue with any future COVID-19 vaccine? And you know it's coming. I posted somebody's poll on it already.

At this point in time I am sticking with my pat answer about most crap: I'll wait and see what they got and hear them out. Then listen to some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth to get all the phobias down.

I get a flu shot every year and that IS by choice. One 2nd grade teacher and a 2nd grader and 5th grader in the house. If something's going to get brought home, it'll be here.

Odd thing though, they brought me here sick. Since then, they have all been sick multiple times and I haven't been once.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Can't you just wait for this to become an issue with any future COVID-19 vaccine? And you know it's coming. I posted somebody's poll on it already.

At this point in time I am sticking with my pat answer about most crap: I'll wait and see what they got and hear them out. Then listen to some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth to get all the phobias down.

I get a flu shot every year and that IS by choice. One 2nd grade teacher and a 2nd grader and 5th grader in the house. If something's going to get brought home, it'll be here.

Odd thing though, they brought me here sick. Since then, they have all been sick multiple times and I haven't been once.
    Yep, being a teacher I think I've 'super immunity.' Not only had to get all the shots, including flu, but each kid brings the germs of their homes. Egads! I never really bought into the hand sanitizers for the simple reason I do think it's good to have exposure and immunity build up. China virus though, new virus that's super contagious and targets my age group. So yes, am using hand sanitizer.

Not because scientists told me so, but because I've a bit of knowledge of viruses and how they work. I also worry about viral load, working where I do.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Yep, being a teacher I think I've 'super immunity.' Not only had to get all the shots, including flu, but each kid brings the germs of their homes. Egads! I never really bought into the hand sanitizers for the simple reason I do think it's good to have exposure and immunity build up. China virus though, new virus that's super contagious and targets my age group. So yes, am using hand sanitizer.

Not because scientists told me so, but because I've a bit of knowledge of viruses and how they work. I also worry about viral load, working where I do.
    I learned a lot about hygiene and germs in the Corps. We were forever being crammed into tight spaces with each other. Trucks, helo's, squad bays (barracks), chow hall -- you name it. If one turkey on the ship brings the flu back from liberty at midnight, it'll be from focs'le to fantail by reveille. LOL, we didn't have hand sanitizers and bottled water n such unless you went out and bought it on your own.

I can't think of much worse than getting sick while under way. In the field would be worse because nobody cares You don't get to sit in your hooch all day and rest because you're sick. You get to go spread it around to everyone else doing all the same training they are
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

So, you're the mary mallon of the household.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Individual choice mattered, until one disagreed, then it didn't matter anymore. NEVER trample on that, until one disagrees, then those rights MUST be trampled upon.

The BBC and the State were the bad guys before they became Gods that we needed to rule over us.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

14. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    So, you're the mary mallon of the household.
    Nah. I had a bacterial infection in my lung. They just get the flu. Then I have to take care of whoever's sick

16. Likes Kathianne, SassyLady liked this post