Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Choose To Vaccinate

Only the ignorant, pretending to be so erudite, don't. Until the 'Disneyland' attack, it was
    assumed that there wasn't a problem, measels were so past..

http://www.kidnurse.org/baby-deserve-exposed-measles/

*For confidentiality purposes, the identity of the children described in this post was changed. However, their mother hopes that this post brings awareness about measles and prevents others from experiencing what her family is going through right now.

Allow me to introduce you to my dear friend’s baby. This is Jack. Jack is the happiest 10 month old boy you could ever hope to meet. He is chubby and handsome. He’s also tough. In his short little life he has already gone through several surgeries from a few health challenges, but through it all, he has the biggest, happiest smile. His mother Tiffany is one of the sweetest, strongest human beings you could ever hope to meet. We have known each other for quite a while, so I write this post not only as a nurse practitioner, but as a friend. Yesterday, I received some terrible news about Jack that led me to think about this question:

Does this sweet baby deserve to be exposed to the measles?

Why do I ask such a question? Because, unfortunately, we are living in a time where it has to be asked. Even though some of the greatest scientific minds have spent the better part of this century trying to eliminate this awful disease with a safe, effective vaccine, many parents still think it is okay to potentially expose their own children and other children to this deadly disease by not vaccinating. Why? They are incorrectly more afraid of a vaccine than the potentially-deathly disease itself. However, it is time to put this question to rest. Allow me to be clear...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Those pretending to be erudite are real trouble. Those who point out facts and ask people to assess the pros and cons for themselves. And use there God given rights to determine their families path to health should be welcomed. Each side should respect the facts presented rather than blindly attack it seems to me.

The recent outbreaks of measles in Canada and the United States came as a shock to many public health experts. But not to Dr. Gregory Poland, one of the world's most admired and most advanced thinkers in the field of vaccinology.The measles vaccine has failed, he explained two years ago in a prescient paper, "The re-emergence of measles in developed countries." In that paper, he warned that due to factors that most haven't noticed, measles has come back to be a serious public health threat. Thankfully, in that paper and elsewhere he also spelled out in no-nonsense fashion what now needs to be done.
    Dr. Poland is no vaccine denier. Not only is he among the harshest and most outspoken critics of the "irrationality of the antivaccinationists," he is also one of the strongest proponents for vaccines and the good that they can do. As Professor of Medicine and founder and leader of the Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group, one of the world's largest vaccine research organizations; as editor-in-chief of the peer-reviewed scientific journal,Vaccine; as recipient of numerous awards; as chair of vaccine data monitoring committees for pharmaceutical giant Merck; as patent holder in various vaccines processes; as someone who enjoys special employee status with the Centers for Disease Control and the U.S. Department of Defense and as someone who has sat on every federal committee that has dealt with vaccines, no one can accuse him of seeing vaccines from a narrow perspective.
    And he sees the need for a major rethink, after concluding that the current measles vaccine is unlikely to ever live up to the job expected of it:
    "Outbreaks are occurring even in highly developed countries where vaccine access, public health infrastructure, and health literacy are not significant issues. This is unexpected and a worrisome harbinger -- measles outbreaks are occurring where they are least expected," he wrote in his 2012 paper, listing the "surprising numbers of cases occurring in persons who previously received one or even two documented doses of measles-containing vaccine."
    During the 1989-1991 U.S. outbreaks, 20 per cent to 40 per cent of those affected had received one to two doses. In a 2011 outbreak in Canada, "over 50 per cent of the 98 individuals had received two doses of measles vaccine."
    Dr. Poland noted 15 U.S. outbreaks between 2005 and 2011 and 33 in Europe in 2011 alone, involving more than 30,000 known cases. Meanwhile, the "UK has declared measles once again endemic ... such outbreaks result from both failure to vaccinate, and vaccine failure."
    People's failure to get vaccinated is deplorable, Dr. Poland often stresses. But the more fundamental problem stems from the vaccine being less effective in real life than predicted, with a too-high failure rate -- between 2 per cent and 10 per cent do not develop expected antibodies after receiving the recommended two shots. Because different people have different genetic makeups, the vaccine is simply a dud in many, failing to provide the protection they think they've acquired.....
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/im-...nt-outbreaks-1

Just as a personal note,
    My little brother got the measles when he was around 2 years old. He had been vaccinated, my mom was a nurse and did everything by the book. He was quarantined in the hospital until he recovered. Thankfully with no issues.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

3. Thanks darin, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

and 4 years later. . .

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/24/healt...-bn/index.html

US measles outbreak is largest since disease was declared eliminated in 2000

By Jacqueline Howard and Debra Goldschmidt, CNN

Updated 12:15 PM ET, Wed April 24, 2019...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, darin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm not sure how this works state-to-state. Here, it's not optional. No vaccinations? No kid in school. Being a military brat, I was always up to snuff on my shots, and then some so I never really gave it much thought until I saw in the news after I retired.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I'm not sure how this works state-to-state. Here, it's not optional. No vaccinations? No kid in school. Being a military brat, I was always up to snuff on my shots, and then some so I never really gave it much thought until I saw in the news after I retired.
    Hate to break it to you Gunny, but even in Texas you can get a vaccine exemption for your child.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/...xemptions.aspx

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Hate to break it to you Gunny, but even in Texas you can get a vaccine exemption for your child.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/...xemptions.aspx
    What would a rule in this country be without a half-dozen or more exceptions? The rule is if you don't have your shots, you don't go to school. If knuckleheads want to waste their time getting those "exceptions", it's their time and their dime.

And just for funsies .... I fell under one of those exceptions . We went overseas when I was 2 the first time. Been a military pin cushion since. And we STILL got chickenpox and measles. There were no vaccines for them back then.

As I said, I never thought anything about it. Came up once when I retired, I think, when I moved from CA to here and I had to produce the rugrat's shot record to enroll her in school.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I dislike mandatory vaccination laws.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

10. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    I get that. Seems to me that there shouldn't have to be a law, people should not be dumb.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

What would a rule in this country be without a half-dozen or more exceptions? The rule is if you don't have your shots, you don't go to school. If knuckleheads want to waste their time getting those "exceptions", it's their time and their dime.

And just for funsies .... I fell under one of those exceptions . We went overseas when I was 2 the first time. Been a military pin cushion since. And we STILL got chickenpox and measles. There were no vaccines for them back then.

As I said, I never thought anything about it. Came up once when I retired, I think, when I moved from CA to here and I had to produce the rugrat's shot record to enroll her in school.
    I never gave it much thought either until later in life when I became a school member and realized how many dopes there are even in our small district who think that since other kids are vaccinated their kids don't need to be.

When I was a kid mom said time to go to the doctor and get your shots, we went, and then later when the Army told me to line up for more shots, I lined up. It jut was the way it was.

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I get that. Seems to me that there shouldn't have to be a law, people should not be dumb.
    I'm just unsure about compulsory stuff from the government - you know me.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm just unsure about compulsory stuff from the government - you know me.
    Again, I hear you. However it does seem that there are too many 'educated' folks who think that they can forgo vaccinating their children, because well, ouch and proven fake autism possibilities. These fools are gathered in more or less elite enclaves, putting the vulnerable at risk.

So while we share the concern over government's heavy hand, acknowledging their hypocrisy about the unborn, it is within their duty to protect the most vulnerable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

No vaccination, no school. NO ONE should ever be forced to be within breathing distance for a spell or in contact, with someone who puts themselves at risk, and everyone else at risk. Do as you please, preserve your rights, I get it - but other places have rights as well - and rules and regulations.

Take your own risk - and one should be eliminated from many places. Not sure how, but a hospital should be an off limits place. Yeah, I know, go for help is your right - and then possibly hundreds get sickened in such an environment.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I can't make up my mind and I DO know where you're going. Which is more important? The Rights of the individuals, or the Rights of the People.

In a normal World unlike the one we currently live in, it wouldn't be a question (MY opinion, of course) because one's sense of responsibility for the safety of their children and their community would override the "self" button. Is that not what we are taught in civics?

Laws are for weak and stupid people.

19. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I can't make up my mind and I DO know where you're going. Which is more important? The Rights of the individuals, or the Rights of the People.

In a normal World unlike the one we currently live in, it wouldn't be a question (MY opinion, of course) because one's sense of responsibility for the safety of their children and their community would override the "self" button. Is that not what we are taught in civics?

Laws are for weak and stupid people.
    Spot on. Unfortunately we’re not teaching civics anymore.

21. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    No vaccination, no school. NO ONE should ever be forced to be within breathing distance for a spell or in contact, with someone who puts themselves at risk, and everyone else at risk. Do as you please, preserve your rights, I get it - but other places have rights as well - and rules and regulations.

Take your own risk - and one should be eliminated from many places. Not sure how, but a hospital should be an off limits place. Yeah, I know, go for help is your right - and then possibly hundreds get sickened in such an environment.

But what if vaccines aren't effective? What if they have danger to some folks? Making exceptions will not hurt vaccinated people.

23. Thanks Gunny thanked this post