Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Default `SHTF - What's Your "Plan B" for Surviving SHTF? `

`Do you have a backup plan (Plan B) for when your preps go up in smoke? When everything fails, and everything goes wrong fast? When all you have is just the clothes on your back? `

`I'm talking about surviving an "All Hell Breaks Loose" global series of events that will turn life upside down for a lot of people fast.And somewhere in the middle of all this you show up on the scene, either by yourself or with a friend, or if you're lucky, maybe you've got your spouse and kids along side as well.
    No worries, right? I mean you've got all your preps... months (actually, more than 5 years now for some of you) of stocking up on food, water, and survival supplies.

You've got a shelter in your basement and a trail leading to a small pick up truck parked out back under a canvas, with a full tank of gas, ready to be loaded up with your preps at a moment's notice so you can hit the road in the case of a widescale evacuation.

It all looks good on paper, but do you have a "Plan B", to survive this sudden SHTF, should something unexpected go wrong?`

***Quick Read....

http://www.secretsofsurvival.com/sur...ving_shtf.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Yes.

Remote piece of property with supplies. ATV's to get there. Starting stocking up on food, water, etc. about four years ago, however, should have been purchasing ammo at same rate. Woefully inadequate for survival, much less protection.

Although, at my age I often wonder if it's just better to drink the arsenic.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I've always wondered what the survivalists think they are escaping.
    Nuclear holocaust? You can't escape it.
    Zombie apocalypse? They will get you before you get them.
    Total breakdown of society? Lord of the Flies.
    You live until you die.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

You live until you die ... but it's how you live until you die that concerns all of us preppers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

In graduate psychology, we did a unit about this. We called it "the doomsday exercise."
    I am certain that preppers have done all their homework on the physical side. They have shelter, supplies, ammo, all the basics. But how would you deal with PTSD following a conflict? How about the stress involved with isolation and sensory deprivation? How will you cope with a sudden lifestyle change, or the possible loss of one or more family members?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    In graduate psychology, we did a unit about this. We called it "the doomsday exercise."
    I am certain that preppers have done all their homework on the physical side. They have shelter, supplies, ammo, all the basics. But how would you deal with PTSD following a conflict? How about the stress involved with isolation and sensory deprivation? How will you cope with a sudden lifestyle change, or the possible loss of one or more family members?
    `Gab...all your questions can be easily found.....through some research...humans are just that humans and not machines and will have Limitations...Not everyone is strong...thinks ahead....plans...or has the tenacity to survive....But many have the will and can overcome .....it beats dying or becoming a sheep and depending on others....people do what they must do`

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Probably a lot better than those that didn't prepare to survive. I don't get it Gabby. Everyone who experiences a catastrophic event will have PTSD ... not just those who prepared for it.

In fact, I think they will have less after effects than those who faced starvation and disease that spreads when people are confined together like cattle.
    Last edited by SassyLady; 02-01-2015 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

simple question
    Do you deal with all the emotional side easier if you have food water and a decent safe place to stay
    or if your on the streets without any of those things?
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-08-2015 at 02:39 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

​*Gab...surviving is a better word...Natural disasters...or man made...never hurts being prepared ......Many survivalists find it interesting and amazing watching the news as folks run to the stores and emptying the shelves for an on coming storm .....The folks who didn't prepare and found the shelves empty will be `looking elsewhere` for food and supplies....that is a fact....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Nuclear holocaust? You can't escape it.
    Zombie apocalypse? They will get you before you get them.
    Total breakdown of society? Lord of the Flies.
    You live until you die.
    What I use as a reference is 1959 Cuba. I don't think a piece of property with a one year supply of food would help much. I'm thinking of what would you need to "bug out".
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

`Stranded in the city.....`

So what to bring in that car of yours? That's easy: The stuff that you'll need no matter what the problem.

*Supplies you'll likely need on the way back to your suburban home by foot (in other words, keep this stuff in a backpack in the trunk of your car).

`We know by now you've probably seen a lot of survival lists -- well here's one more list for you (we'll try to keep this list to the bare essentials).`

1. Bottled water and a way to filter / purify water.

2. A small radio with batteries.

3. A flashlight or headlamp.

4. Something to sleep in (a tent may be hard to bring with you, but at least a small sleeping bag).

5. 2 or 3 folded, heavy duty, 55 gallon garbage bags -- which
    you'll use to to build a nearly waterproof shelter or even something to sleep in, worn over your sleeping bag to keep out the weather.

6. Duct tape to help seal your improvised garbage bag shelter (if you build one). But there's a trick to carrying duct tape -- you don't need to carry an entire roll to build your shelter. Instead, in advance, tear off several strips approximately 5 inches each, and then put one strip on a garbage bag, and then layer several 4 inch strips on top of the first. You now have an easy way to carry some duct tape, without taking up much space in your small pack (also called a "get home" bag).

7. A change of clothes -- we recommend two pairs of pants, and two hooded sweat-shirts (two sets of each, so they can be worn in "layers" for added warmth); a waterproof jacket, in case of rain; and a stocking cap, regardless of the season. Wearing a stocking cap while you sleep is a great way to stay warm when sleeping outdoors, as well as wool socks on your feet.

8. Dry food that doesn't spoil (high calorie energy bars, for example).

9. A cell phone (but that would probably go out on you in case of an EMP attack).

10. A knife.

11. A lighting device of some kind (waterproof lighter). Always carry at least two lighters -- that way you always have a spare lighter as back-up.

12. A state map and compass (as long as you know how to use your compass) kept in a Zip-Lock freezer bag.

13. Nukepills (iodine I-131) and medications you might need.

14. Further, weapons for self-defense, depending on how you feel about that and what's legal in your area. (You can do sufficient damage to allow time to escape with a can of high-potency pepper spray, for example.)

15. Good shoes, such as those used for "cross-training" or "trail-running" (it's very important that your shoes lace-up well, so that they do not come untied if you have to make a run for it.).

16. Small backpack. Nothing too big, or someone else might want to take it from you. Also, make sure it's dark in color (so it doesn't attract attention), and water resistant (water-proof is even better). If you can't afford a waterproof pack, then wrap your spare clothing, food, flashlight, etc. in small, sealed garbage bags before you put these items in your pack.

17. Finally, carry firestarter in a small waterproof container. Cotton balls work great as firestarter -- and you can stuff a lot of cotton balls in a small waterproof container. To increase flammability consider rubbing those fireballs in a small amount of charcoal lighter or even Vaseline or another flammable oil-based material -- but just a small amount.

.....In the end, depending on the problem you're most likely to face (which we believe is being stranded in a large city when you're miles from home), you can decide what you may need / not need in your backpack.

Of course, this will depend on the disaster you're dealing with, the distance you have to go, and the kinds of terrain your journey is likely to take you across.....

Finally, here's something that may seem to run counterproductive to staying away from the hordes moving to the suburbs. Find yourself a small group of friends. A large group is just too much. Rather, a group of three to four may be best.
    This way, what you don't know about the area / survival may be known by them. You can work together (one can man the radio, the other the cell phone, the other the compass, etc.).

And if social unrest occurs, criminals will think twice about messing with a group over a single traveler.

No matter how bad it gets, we encourage you to be strong, have courage, and be on the alert. Hopefully, you will never find yourself in such a situation as described here.

Unfortunately, things are looking more and more dangerous out there.`

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I have a to go bags in both of my cars (with everything on your list except the map and the nuke pills) I never let the gas gauge get below 50% in either of them. Before I started packing for the move (selling my house), I had my basement stocked with plenty of survival items. And, I had a garden planted ... on my own well ... generator. However, I know that the neighbors would have been "visiting" my place for handouts because they don't have anything stored but weed.

As for meds ... the only one that I know I cannot do without is my Excedrin!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Sadly. As many of us already know. Far too many Americans living today have no idea that TSHTF already.

It's just a matter of time, under this Phony Pretend President, and the Hypocrites in Congress, when the nation all of us Claim to Love...suddenly ends with MOB RULE taking charge, and all police protection will depend on whether you voted for ONE person, or you are a TRUE RACIST.

Short, and sweet. Nobody can DISPROVE the Truth.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !