Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I'm all set. We didn't really build the cabin for that purpose, but it was a secondary concern.

If Doomsday were to hit, I think roughly half the population would simply wait around in the ruins waiting for someone to come rescue them. That doesn't seem very appealing, but really, what kind of survival skills would your typical city dweller have? Other than rampant looting, I don't think there's any other options. They'll all have really cool Nike shoes, but once the potato chips run out it will get pretty grim.

My biggest concern in that scenario is gasoline. That would truly become worth it's weight in gold in short order. Sure, I've got axes and hand saws, but the boat, ATVs and vehicles need gas and you can't store gas for more than 2 years or so & still be usable, even with stabilizers. And stockpiling 2 years of gas is unfeasible. Every gas station would quickly become heavily defended by a group of people... if they had the foresight to bring a generator to power the pumps, that is. Hard to get the gas out of the underground tanks without that.

I don't think ammo is as big of a concern as the gas. You can stockpile ammo and reloading is no big deal if you have the equipment.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

2. Thanks Jeff, LongTermGuy, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

If you want to see what I feel a really honest portrayal of nuclear holocaust would be, watch the movie "Threads." It is genuinely frightening.

I feel there are a ton of people who will be physically ready for a doomsday situation. But how many will be mentally ready? A total breakdown of societal norms will be tough to overcome.
    I would want to cast my lot with someone who is used to be isolated and has a lot of survival training and forward thinking.
    NightTrain, how long have you live in Alaska? You seem to be most prepared of the lot.

4. Thanks Abbey Marie, Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    If you want to see what I feel a really honest portrayal of nuclear holocaust would be, watch the movie "Threads." It is genuinely frightening.

I feel there are a ton of people who will be physically ready for a doomsday situation. But how many will be mentally ready? A total breakdown of societal norms will be tough to overcome.
    I would want to cast my lot with someone who is used to be isolated and has a lot of survival training and forward thinking.
    NightTrain, how long have you live in Alaska? You seem to be most prepared of the lot.
    I think Sassy could also hold out in terrible conditions.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

6. Thanks Abbey Marie, LongTermGuy, Jeff, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Yes, give me Nightrain, Darin and Sassy, and I'll feel pretty secure.

Along these lines, I'm planning a night of target shooting and dinner soon with two girlfriends. I think we'll save the drinks for AFTER the shooting, though.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

8. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy, darin, Jeff, NightTrain and 1 others thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

40 years in AK. I was raised out there, so it's no mystery.

It's a hell of a lot of hard work, though. Every single day.

Honestly, though, I think the chances of a doomsday scenario happening are slim to none.

10. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I watched 'Threads' a very long time ago ... must be at least a decade ago, if not longer.

I'd recommend a fictional book to you and to everybody here .. chances are it can't be purchased, as it was written decades ago and must be out of print. But just in case anyone is able to read it .. it's called 'Down to a Sunless Sea', by David Graham.

It describes a gloomy future, where America's sources of oil have run out, she can't buy more, and so America is in terminal decline, with starvation rampant. The UK has largely escaped such a fate, and so runs 'mercy flights' to JFK Airport, picking up people who've won a weekly lottery entitling them to fly to the UK to begin a new life.

The 'Air Britain' flight in question is halfway from New York to London, when nuclear war breaks out. So the rest of the story is written from the point of view of the flight crew, as they learn of the progressive bombings of all the cities they'd have in flight range.

Cutting a long story short .. desperate for a place to land before their fuel runs out, they land in the Azores, at a military base that had been neutron bombed. They make plans, refuel the aircraft from military craft at the base, then fly all the way to McMurdo Base in the Antarctic. Their hope is to survive in a place on earth, for a handful of years at least, where radioactivity levels won't kill them.

But what they discover is that this is an impossibility. A few months on .. and radioactive clouds reach them. Everybody dies.

The novel is educational in a particular respect, in that it teaches that radiation absorption is cumulative .. also that, however long it takes, radiation WILL cover the earth in time. Add these two facts together .. and it becomes evident that surviving a nuclear holocaust is ultimately a fiction. The only question is how long it would take to die from it.

Even living in a radiation-proof bunker just delays the inevitable. Sooner or later, those living in it would need to emerge from it. To what ? A planet with high levels of radiation, as some of its forms have half lives lasting thousands of years ... where any available food sources would've long since been irradiated ?

Besides, we in the UK had a 'taste' of that from Chernobyl, decades ago. A radioactive cloud reached us from Chernobyl around 10 days after the nuclear accident, and for a week it elevated background radiation levels to five times their normal level, before moving off. We were told that exposure to those levels for two years (it wouldn't have happened for that long, of course, but if it HAD ..) would've been dangerous to our health.

Radiation absorption is cumulative. Ultimately there is NO safe dosage level of exposure, if exposure continues for long enough.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

12. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Regarding the problems with nuclear war, I'd recommend, CP Snow, "The New Men." Snow was part of the Manhattan Project, not happily.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

14. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I'm all set. We didn't really build the cabin for that purpose, but it was a secondary concern.

If Doomsday were to hit, I think roughly half the population would simply wait around in the ruins waiting for someone to come rescue them. That doesn't seem very appealing, but really, what kind of survival skills would your typical city dweller have? Other than rampant looting, I don't think there's any other options. They'll all have really cool Nike shoes, but once the potato chips run out it will get pretty grim.

My biggest concern in that scenario is gasoline. That would truly become worth it's weight in gold in short order. Sure, I've got axes and hand saws, but the boat, ATVs and vehicles need gas and you can't store gas for more than 2 years or so & still be usable, even with stabilizers. And stockpiling 2 years of gas is unfeasible. Every gas station would quickly become heavily defended by a group of people... if they had the foresight to bring a generator to power the pumps, that is. Hard to get the gas out of the underground tanks without that.

I don't think ammo is as big of a concern as the gas. You can stockpile ammo and reloading is no big deal if you have the equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    40 years in AK. I was raised out there, so it's no mystery.

It's a hell of a lot of hard work, though. Every single day.

Honestly, though, I think the chances of a doomsday scenario happening are slim to none.
    If I had the time, I'd walk to NT's place. I can offer security, plucky-comic-relief, and a good head on my shoulders. But...by the time I made that walk? Geesh...probably would take two years.

I wrote this a few years ago - putting here in case it helps folks with ideas.

Long-distance Commuters face challenges.
    I average 20 days at work per month. During those days, I am away from home for 11.5 hours. Unless the Zombie Apocalypse starts conveniently on a Saturday morning, before I can survive the end of the world as I know it I have to get home.
    My daily commute carries me 35 miles each way. Sometimes while sitting in traffic I’m reminded of real life – and fictional – disaster situations looking a lot like what I face each day; miles and miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic congestion. The defining difference is this: My traffic jam eventually clears and I motor-on my way towards kids and dogs.
    Lately my thoughts push me towards my need to return home in the event of the worst – specifically, planning for my daily trip.
    Before I can bug-in at my homestead, I have to get there! Before I can work to provide comfort and safety for my family, I have to reach home. If the roads were closed or blocked just how would I manage?
    Living in Southeast Michigan for several years, I have seen the weather change pretty quickly. Even if my winter vehicle has the ability to traverse deep snow covered roads, local authorities have the power to determine roads “Impassible”, stranding me away from the homestead. Apart from winter hazards, commuters face a multitude of potential challenges, from massive traffic accidents, terror attack – recall the streams of pedestrians evacuating downtown New York City on 11 September 2001 – or natural disasters. Below you will find tips to prepare yourself and your vehicle for the commute from hell.

Driving:
    Take serious consideration in your commuter – remember a car not properly equipped, or lacking other capabilities gets GREAT fuel
    economy, while stuck on the side of the road. My 16mpg SUV hurts my wallet at fuel-up, however worth more to me is the security
    presented by having a greater chance of making it home through all kinds of weather.
    During winter weather - as defined by me when the daily high temperatures doesn't get above about 40 degrees- consider swapping your all-season or all terrain tires with dedicated-winter tires. The benefits of All-wheel drive or Four wheel drive are gone after about 15 feet of moving your vehicle off a stop.

Once on-way, all-wheel or four-wheel offers little-to-no benefit of keeping your Vehicle traveling, stopping, or turning. Dedicated snow/winter performance tires On a two-wheel drive car (either front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive) will
    Make that car EASILY out-perform all-wheel/4 wheel drive cars and trucks using all-season, All-terrain or even large off-road tires. I often hear a common misconception – “My car goes well in the snow”. Not true, mostly.

Your car’s TIRES go through the snow well.

Tires are often over-looked because the summer or all-seasons currently on the vehicle “have good tread left”. Tread compound and
    tread designed specifically for winter and cold-weather driving conditions is the best way to ensure safe travel. More than simply
    having the power to take off from a stop, winter tires provide stopping and turning power. Often winter-specific tires can stop in
    half the distance of summer or all-season tires. Even the best all-season tires will stop many feet later than winter-specific tires
    – but sometimes even a few feet can mean the difference between a collision with another car, obstacle, or person, and prevention of
    those impacts. Having said that, I struggle finding winter tires the size I need for my truck - and when i get close, the tires get very expensive. To mitigate, I use 'mountain-snowflake' embossed tires - and I get them siped for help in powder snow. Siping is a Great way to help your vehicle's tires grab in snowy conditions. Very well worth the $10? or so per tire.

Providing additional weight over the drive wheels further assists with cold-weather driving.
    Available now are a water bladders for truck beds and car trunks, filled with up to approximately 400lbs of water.

Another plus for using full-size vehicles, trucks or SUVs- The benefits of ground clearance and proper winter tires combine in a way either of the two alone could not. I used to own a Subaru Legacy GT - using Blizzak snow tires the car was nearly unstoppable.
    Until the snow got deep. The few inches of ground clearance meant I would sometimes be stuck waiting for a plow to clear the roads around me.

Much like snow, rain and flood weather happens. August of 2014 brought to my area record flooding. Another benefit to a larger
    Commuter - ground clearance. While not always the case, in general higher vehicles keep their air-intakes higher-up from the ground.
    Flooding an engine through the air intake system is probably the biggest risk faced with deep water. As a rule, avoid
    crossing water deeper than half-way up the wheels. My truck has 35" tires; giving me at least 18" of fording capabilities.
    My truck pulls its air from just behind the headlight, over across the engine and to the air filter sitting atop the engine. Because the ducting attaches just below the filter, I un-hook it if faced with a water crossing. While the engine is then sucking super-hot air over the top of the engine, having the ducting unhooked gives about six more inches of height from where the engine typically sucks air in.

Tornadoes are not unheard-of in my area – wind damage to infrastructure is inevitable. Deciding to commute in a vehicle with
    all or four-wheel drive, and offering as much ground clearance as possible will enable me to overcome standing or running water across
    roadways (while avoiding those obstacles is ideal, sometimes there is no choice), or limbs or other debris across the roadway. I also live
    1.4 miles from the nearest paved road – in the worst kind of weather, my road is not maintained. Getting home means getting muddy.

Packing for worst-case:
    In addition to common items – jumper cables, Tylenol/aspirin, extra food, gasoline, water, folding knife, small tool kit, first-aid kit
    and blanket, Ready-to-eat meal; a ¾ full re-usable water bottle (to allow for freezing temperatures), extra socks, scarf, gloves, hat,
    sunglasses, small disposable lighter, 50ft of 550 cord, military surplus thermals, and plastic rain poncho will work to
    keep me prepared for either driving or walking home. I purchased a pair of Army surplus aviator gloves; the Nomex™ construction will
    provide some flame protection in the event of an accident or rescue, while thin enough preventing significant finger/hand dexterity loss.
    All items fit nicely in my Oakley “Kitchen Sink” backpack.
    I also created homemade fire-starters using make-up removing cotton patches, dipped in melted candle wax, and left to dry on a wire
    rack over a sheet-pan. After bundling the tender, rip one of the wax-coated patches to expose the cotton fibers. Apply flame from the
    lighter and within about a minute I have a sustainable flame that holds enough flame to ignite even damp branches, sticks, and debris.
    A head-mounted lamp will help with vehicle repairs or path illumination should I be forced to abandon my vehicle.
    Using the head-worn lamp brings freedom to use my arms to carry other items, support, or defend myself. The lamp also serves to
    signal others if I become in need of assistance due to injury or attack. I tend to forget to check the batteries of all my stored
    emergency electronic devices – do not follow my example as an unlit lamp shines on no path. A good reminder – every time I change my
    car’s wiper blades, I re-inventory my supplies.

Alternative routes:
    Most days I follow the same route to work and home again. While shopping for my house I became familiar with my area – I know which
    roads connect to the road that leads me home. One day, every other month or so, I take a new way home – even the LONG way. I do this to remain up to date with road closures, detours, construction, and traffic density. In the event of the worst-case scenario, the popular
    roads will likely become clogged with vehicles and pedestrians sticking to the familiar. Knowing which side streets connect to where
    affords some relief and ease of access to other roads leading home. One thing to remember – if you think of a short cut, chances are
    somebody else has too! Avoiding the shortest route, in terms of distance or time to complete, may end up being faster due to less
    congestion.

Alternative Transportation:

Placing a mountain bike in the truck bed, or SUV cargo area, and securing with a normal bike lock and cable can provide a much-faster way home, should stuff hit the fan. Again, do not forget to maintain the emergency bike – ensure your bike has air in the tires and inner tube patching equipment along with a means to pump air into a repaired tube.

Walking:
    While a Soldier, I learned first-hand the benefits of LPCs as a mode a transport. LPC – Leather Personnel Carrier – a joke-name for
    our combat boots. Facing a 35 mile walk home, maintaining a pair of broken-in, comfortable and durable boots is vital. Buying a pair of
    great hiking boots or shoes, and placing them in your car for emergencies might lead to debilitating blistering, rubbing, or aching
    – hindering the trek.
    Sure to be in a hurry to reach my family, I cannot forget to stretch my muscles before, during and after such a walk. Slow and
    consistent plodding will take a toll on my feet, joints, and hips. My back and shoulders will be sore carrying my backpack, too. Nobody
    has to do 35 mile walks to prepare for a 35 mile walk in the worst conditions – however having a realistic view of one’s physical
    abilities will help in planning for such an endeavor.
    To ease the impact on feet, walk on the unpaved shoulder areas of the roads – a tip taught to me by my Drill Sergeants during Basic
    Training. Using arms to swing and help momentum is effective towards covering ground. Having marching cadence either playing on mp3-player
    with headphones, or recited from memory can help maintain an effective pace and breathing pattern.
    Unless I am being chased, I must stop for rest periods. These periods can be anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Word of
    caution – it is often easier to KEEP walking, than to START walking. As good as a rest may feel, the pain of starting again might be worse.
    Drinking water, even in cold temperatures is vital to success. I cannot carry enough water to keep me for 35 miles; however I can work
    to ensure I maintain daily hydration and consume the water I carry. Ideally, one quart per hour - water cannot help if it is never
    consumed. While on a march like this finding potable water is essential. Options include groceries and gas stationed, if open - or
    even a friendly neighbor along the way.

THESE People? In the pic above? They typify our society; they do not plan, or do piss-poor-planning, which are essentially the same thing, and abandon their vehicles. Further, drivers today are ill-equipped with operating in adverse conditions. If their car starts to slide they panic, stop and get out. As for me and those around me? Learning to slide a car is a right of passage; if my then-14-year-old daughter can slide this truck on purpose, she likely will not panic if it happens accidentally.

To fight one’s worst enemy – worry/distress – finding the right mindset is essential. Embarking on a journey like this means hours
    and hours before reuniting. Considering what you might find when you return home may serve as motivation to complete the walk. When this
    consideration moves to worry, rushing and carelessness may lead to injury or worse. When starting on a walk like this, making each
    mile, or route-marker as individual goals will prevent the hurry-ups, and might prevent hasty decisions. Instead of ‘walking home’, I am
    only walking to “The freeway overpass a couple miles from here”. The smaller goal is more achievable than the more-than-a-marathon distance
    awaiting me. Focusing on the small task makes the big task achievable.
    We live in a world where the worst can happen. With the threats and capabilities of terrorists, and the fury of Mother Nature, we can
    no longer afford to ‘hope’ things work out. Hope is not a viable strategy. Through careful consideration we can take steps to mitigate
    the damage; with a practiced plan, we can establish alternatives to our situations – wherever circumstance – or our commute - places us.
    By planning ahead, we will help to ensure we make it to our loved ones during times of crisis.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'm gonna be like "Merle" from the walking dead. No need for me to stock up, other than a gun and some training with it, and my crossbow like Daryl! I'm just gonna rob and loot my way to happiness, and then take one to the temple when the biters/walkers find me!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

17. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Sad truth about when the SHTF.

There won't be any need for a plan "B", or any other plan.

When the total power grid of the U.S.A. fails, mob rule, and Anarchy take over where there is nobody to enforce rules, laws, or a constitution. Just remember...if you can. A movie you will no longer be able to watch, called
    "RED DAWN".
    When the lazy, uneducated, irresponsible discover their money doesn't work, or isn't enough. Or they discover they are no longer able to pump gasoline into their vehicles...due to no Power to run the pumps. And all of the grocery stores have been invaded by rioters who took everything they could carry, the sewage, and water systems are no longer operating, and all we can hear is Gunfire.

What good will any PLAN do?
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

19. Thanks Jeff, LongTermGuy, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post

When the total power grid of the U.S.A. fails, mob rule, and Anarchy take over where there is nobody to enforce rules, laws, or a constitution. Just remember...if you can. A movie you will no longer be able to watch, called
    "RED DAWN".
    When the lazy, uneducated, irresponsible discover their money doesn't work, or isn't enough. Or they discover they are no longer able to pump gasoline into their vehicles...due to no Power to run the pumps. And all of the grocery stores have been invaded by rioters who took everything they could carry, the sewage, and water systems are no longer operating, and all we can hear is Gunfire.

That's why you align yourself with the mob, the people that will have the stones to take over actually i am hoping they will keep this old guy around
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

21. Thanks LongTermGuy, aboutime, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post

"RED DAWN".

~ "And all of the grocery stores have been invaded by rioters who took everything they could carry, the sewage, and water systems are no longer operating, and all we can hear is Gunfire." ~

*One learns to adapt....or one can cut their wrists and die like a Bitch...`Survivalist` have planned for this for a long time...most rioters..looters will starve and kill themselves off...or get shot...beheaded...and head used for a no trespassing sign....most survivalists anticipated not having water and sewage systems not operating (there is so much to say about this)...good research will answer most questions...

23. Thanks Jeff, Drummond, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    If I had the time, I'd walk to NT's place. I can offer security, plucky-comic-relief, and a good head on my shoulders. But...by the time I made that walk? Geesh...probably would take two years.

I wrote this a few years ago - putting here in case it helps folks with ideas.

Long-distance Commuters face challenges.
    I average 20 days at work per month. During those days, I am away from home for 11.5 hours. Unless the Zombie Apocalypse starts conveniently on a Saturday morning, before I can survive the end of the world as I know it I have to get home.
    My daily commute carries me 35 miles each way. Sometimes while sitting in traffic I’m reminded of real life – and fictional – disaster situations looking a lot like what I face each day; miles and miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic congestion. The defining difference is this: My traffic jam eventually clears and I motor-on my way towards kids and dogs.
    Lately my thoughts push me towards my need to return home in the event of the worst – specifically, planning for my daily trip.
    Before I can bug-in at my homestead, I have to get there! Before I can work to provide comfort and safety for my family, I have to reach home. If the roads were closed or blocked just how would I manage?
    Living in Southeast Michigan for several years, I have seen the weather change pretty quickly. Even if my winter vehicle has the ability to traverse deep snow covered roads, local authorities have the power to determine roads “Impassible”, stranding me away from the homestead. Apart from winter hazards, commuters face a multitude of potential challenges, from massive traffic accidents, terror attack – recall the streams of pedestrians evacuating downtown New York City on 11 September 2001 – or natural disasters. Below you will find tips to prepare yourself and your vehicle for the commute from hell.

Driving:
    Take serious consideration in your commuter – remember a car not properly equipped, or lacking other capabilities gets GREAT fuel
    economy, while stuck on the side of the road. My 16mpg SUV hurts my wallet at fuel-up, however worth more to me is the security
    presented by having a greater chance of making it home through all kinds of weather.
    During winter weather - as defined by me when the daily high temperatures doesn't get above about 40 degrees- consider swapping your all-season or all terrain tires with dedicated-winter tires. The benefits of All-wheel drive or Four wheel drive are gone after about 15 feet of moving your vehicle off a stop.

Once on-way, all-wheel or four-wheel offers little-to-no benefit of keeping your Vehicle traveling, stopping, or turning. Dedicated snow/winter performance tires On a two-wheel drive car (either front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive) will
    Make that car EASILY out-perform all-wheel/4 wheel drive cars and trucks using all-season, All-terrain or even large off-road tires. I often hear a common misconception – “My car goes well in the snow”. Not true, mostly.

Your car’s TIRES go through the snow well.

Tires are often over-looked because the summer or all-seasons currently on the vehicle “have good tread left”. Tread compound and
    tread designed specifically for winter and cold-weather driving conditions is the best way to ensure safe travel. More than simply
    having the power to take off from a stop, winter tires provide stopping and turning power. Often winter-specific tires can stop in
    half the distance of summer or all-season tires. Even the best all-season tires will stop many feet later than winter-specific tires
    – but sometimes even a few feet can mean the difference between a collision with another car, obstacle, or person, and prevention of
    those impacts. Having said that, I struggle finding winter tires the size I need for my truck - and when i get close, the tires get very expensive. To mitigate, I use 'mountain-snowflake' embossed tires - and I get them siped for help in powder snow. Siping is a Great way to help your vehicle's tires grab in snowy conditions. Very well worth the $10? or so per tire.

Providing additional weight over the drive wheels further assists with cold-weather driving.
    Available now are a water bladders for truck beds and car trunks, filled with up to approximately 400lbs of water.

Another plus for using full-size vehicles, trucks or SUVs- The benefits of ground clearance and proper winter tires combine in a way either of the two alone could not. I used to own a Subaru Legacy GT - using Blizzak snow tires the car was nearly unstoppable.
    Until the snow got deep. The few inches of ground clearance meant I would sometimes be stuck waiting for a plow to clear the roads around me.

Much like snow, rain and flood weather happens. August of 2014 brought to my area record flooding. Another benefit to a larger
    Commuter - ground clearance. While not always the case, in general higher vehicles keep their air-intakes higher-up from the ground.
    Flooding an engine through the air intake system is probably the biggest risk faced with deep water. As a rule, avoid
    crossing water deeper than half-way up the wheels. My truck has 35" tires; giving me at least 18" of fording capabilities.
    My truck pulls its air from just behind the headlight, over across the engine and to the air filter sitting atop the engine. Because the ducting attaches just below the filter, I un-hook it if faced with a water crossing. While the engine is then sucking super-hot air over the top of the engine, having the ducting unhooked gives about six more inches of height from where the engine typically sucks air in.

Tornadoes are not unheard-of in my area – wind damage to infrastructure is inevitable. Deciding to commute in a vehicle with
    all or four-wheel drive, and offering as much ground clearance as possible will enable me to overcome standing or running water across
    roadways (while avoiding those obstacles is ideal, sometimes there is no choice), or limbs or other debris across the roadway. I also live
    1.4 miles from the nearest paved road – in the worst kind of weather, my road is not maintained. Getting home means getting muddy.

Packing for worst-case:
    In addition to common items – jumper cables, Tylenol/aspirin, extra food, gasoline, water, folding knife, small tool kit, first-aid kit
    and blanket, Ready-to-eat meal; a ¾ full re-usable water bottle (to allow for freezing temperatures), extra socks, scarf, gloves, hat,
    sunglasses, small disposable lighter, 50ft of 550 cord, military surplus thermals, and plastic rain poncho will work to
    keep me prepared for either driving or walking home. I purchased a pair of Army surplus aviator gloves; the Nomex™ construction will
    provide some flame protection in the event of an accident or rescue, while thin enough preventing significant finger/hand dexterity loss.
    All items fit nicely in my Oakley “Kitchen Sink” backpack.
    I also created homemade fire-starters using make-up removing cotton patches, dipped in melted candle wax, and left to dry on a wire
    rack over a sheet-pan. After bundling the tender, rip one of the wax-coated patches to expose the cotton fibers. Apply flame from the
    lighter and within about a minute I have a sustainable flame that holds enough flame to ignite even damp branches, sticks, and debris.
    A head-mounted lamp will help with vehicle repairs or path illumination should I be forced to abandon my vehicle.
    Using the head-worn lamp brings freedom to use my arms to carry other items, support, or defend myself. The lamp also serves to
    signal others if I become in need of assistance due to injury or attack. I tend to forget to check the batteries of all my stored
    emergency electronic devices – do not follow my example as an unlit lamp shines on no path. A good reminder – every time I change my
    car’s wiper blades, I re-inventory my supplies.

Alternative routes:
    Most days I follow the same route to work and home again. While shopping for my house I became familiar with my area – I know which
    roads connect to the road that leads me home. One day, every other month or so, I take a new way home – even the LONG way. I do this to remain up to date with road closures, detours, construction, and traffic density. In the event of the worst-case scenario, the popular
    roads will likely become clogged with vehicles and pedestrians sticking to the familiar. Knowing which side streets connect to where
    affords some relief and ease of access to other roads leading home. One thing to remember – if you think of a short cut, chances are
    somebody else has too! Avoiding the shortest route, in terms of distance or time to complete, may end up being faster due to less
    congestion.

Alternative Transportation:

Placing a mountain bike in the truck bed, or SUV cargo area, and securing with a normal bike lock and cable can provide a much-faster way home, should stuff hit the fan. Again, do not forget to maintain the emergency bike – ensure your bike has air in the tires and inner tube patching equipment along with a means to pump air into a repaired tube.

Walking:
    While a Soldier, I learned first-hand the benefits of LPCs as a mode a transport. LPC – Leather Personnel Carrier – a joke-name for
    our combat boots. Facing a 35 mile walk home, maintaining a pair of broken-in, comfortable and durable boots is vital. Buying a pair of
    great hiking boots or shoes, and placing them in your car for emergencies might lead to debilitating blistering, rubbing, or aching
    – hindering the trek.
    Sure to be in a hurry to reach my family, I cannot forget to stretch my muscles before, during and after such a walk. Slow and
    consistent plodding will take a toll on my feet, joints, and hips. My back and shoulders will be sore carrying my backpack, too. Nobody
    has to do 35 mile walks to prepare for a 35 mile walk in the worst conditions – however having a realistic view of one’s physical
    abilities will help in planning for such an endeavor.
    To ease the impact on feet, walk on the unpaved shoulder areas of the roads – a tip taught to me by my Drill Sergeants during Basic
    Training. Using arms to swing and help momentum is effective towards covering ground. Having marching cadence either playing on mp3-player
    with headphones, or recited from memory can help maintain an effective pace and breathing pattern.
    Unless I am being chased, I must stop for rest periods. These periods can be anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Word of
    caution – it is often easier to KEEP walking, than to START walking. As good as a rest may feel, the pain of starting again might be worse.
    Drinking water, even in cold temperatures is vital to success. I cannot carry enough water to keep me for 35 miles; however I can work
    to ensure I maintain daily hydration and consume the water I carry. Ideally, one quart per hour - water cannot help if it is never
    consumed. While on a march like this finding potable water is essential. Options include groceries and gas stationed, if open - or
    even a friendly neighbor along the way.

THESE People? In the pic above? They typify our society; they do not plan, or do piss-poor-planning, which are essentially the same thing, and abandon their vehicles. Further, drivers today are ill-equipped with operating in adverse conditions. If their car starts to slide they panic, stop and get out. As for me and those around me? Learning to slide a car is a right of passage; if my then-14-year-old daughter can slide this truck on purpose, she likely will not panic if it happens accidentally.

To fight one’s worst enemy – worry/distress – finding the right mindset is essential. Embarking on a journey like this means hours
    and hours before reuniting. Considering what you might find when you return home may serve as motivation to complete the walk. When this
    consideration moves to worry, rushing and carelessness may lead to injury or worse. When starting on a walk like this, making each
    mile, or route-marker as individual goals will prevent the hurry-ups, and might prevent hasty decisions. Instead of ‘walking home’, I am
    only walking to “The freeway overpass a couple miles from here”. The smaller goal is more achievable than the more-than-a-marathon distance
    awaiting me. Focusing on the small task makes the big task achievable.
    We live in a world where the worst can happen. With the threats and capabilities of terrorists, and the fury of Mother Nature, we can
    no longer afford to ‘hope’ things work out. Hope is not a viable strategy. Through careful consideration we can take steps to mitigate
    the damage; with a practiced plan, we can establish alternatives to our situations – wherever circumstance – or our commute - places us.
    By planning ahead, we will help to ensure we make it to our loved ones during times of crisis.

well done DMP

25. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I guess the most popular prevailing cause of Doomsday is nuclear war.

You guys remember when Chernobyl went down? I remember reading in the papers that the whole area was going to be an uninhabitable wasteland for hundreds of years, according to every "Expert" they could find to quote. There was much hand-wringing going on from every quarter - except from the Soviets, who promptly sent in hundreds of peasants to try and mitigate it.

The radiation levels went down much, much faster than anyone thought it would. It's still not healthy to be around there for very long, but it's no where near as bad as everyone said it was going to be years down the road.

I really don't think all the talk about radiation levels, fallout and nuclear winter would be as horrific in the long term as all the experts say it would. Mother earth has a way of fixing things pretty efficiently to bring back balance.

My own opinion of the most likely cause is a plague of some sort... like Stephen King's 'The Stand' or something along those lines. We all saw how Ebola spread, even when the entire world was aware of what was going on in Africa, and yet our idiot leaders allowed unrestricted air travel, and even sent some military troops there. Then, infected medical personnel - who knew they were possibly infected - still went out in public because they wanted to. Sheer stupidity, and if it had mutated to become airborne infectious, THEN we would have had a big problem.

27. Thanks LongTermGuy, Kathianne, SassyLady, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    That's why you align yourself with the mob, the people that will have the stones to take over actually i am hoping they will keep this old guy around

Jeff. I am betting I won't be around when something like that takes place. My biggest concern is for our six grandchildren, our son's, and how they will survive in a TRUE WORLD FULL OF ASSHOLES.?
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

29. Thanks LongTermGuy, SassyLady, Jeff thanked this post