Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

`...... survival tools that could make a
    big difference in the aftermath of disaster.`
    ~ A worst case scenario has unfolded in America ~

`Four major natural disasters have struck in different parts of the U.S. in a period of just a few days.

Three of these disasters occurred on the West Coast, and scientists are scratching their heads trying to figure out how these are connected.
    `Theories pour forth across the airwaves. First.... a 9.1 quake hit Los Angeles (the "Big One") as Southern Californians have long feared, followed by the eruption of Mount Ranier in Washington State that same day and just a day later a "Big One" then struck Seattle, another long-feared earthquake, this one a 9.1. as well.

`People across the world are glued to their television sets. Many along the West Coast, especially those in the vicinity of LA and Seattle, can't watch TV, they're missing this. There's simply no electricity......But they're listening on their radios.. many in severe shock -- with three disasters hitting so close together, and on major population centers, the psychological impact is terrifying.

It's been so quiet for the last few months -- and suddenly three major disasters, each long feared, have struck within just days of one another. It's too much for some....

`The next day the earth shakes again -- and disaster number four takes place. This time it's San Francisco.

San Francisco is hit harder than Los Angeles and Seattle combined.

....The city is destroyed. And then, for the next few days, San Francisco simply burns, a thousand fires that can be seen from miles away, smoke billowing to the sky......

Now we get to the point of this article ... what tools do you have around your home and your neighborhood that can help you survive a natural disaster?

`If you're like many modern day Americans, you may live in a distant suburb and potentially escape the brunt of a significant disaster laying waste to a major city in your area.

`What items are laying right under your nose that can help you not just survive but even thrive when the area you live in has been laid waste by something as destructive as a catastrophic earthquake?

*First, let's discuss electricity:

Within a day or two of calls on your cell phone to the outside world, the thing is going to die on you. It's going to run out of battery power. It's going to need a recharge.

**This is where a cigarette-lighter DC to AC adaptor comes in handy.

You can plug it right into any car lighter, and then plug any traditional electronic device right into it (as long as it's not something that pulls too much power -- such as a space heater -- or you'll blow a fuse in the car fuse-box).

As a rule of thumb.....you should have one in the dashboard of each vehicle you own (in case you're far from home in a disaster or other emergency). Consider also keeping one in your back pack -- if you have a "bug out" bag pre-stocked with emergency supplies.....

With your car adaptor you can re-charge any cell phone (that you have a wall outlet plug-in for), as well as plug in small lights, and even a small radio.

*Don't run these things for too long though, or you'll risk draining your car battery.

`In fact, if you have a good supply of gas, turn your car on and let it idle so as to recharge your battery.... or... better yet..only plug in the adaptor when the car is actually turned on and idling. This way you won't risk the repeated draining of your car battery ending it's life.....

`In an evacuation, or when traveling cross country through a disaster zone, you can also use your adaptor to draw power from abandoned vehicles you come across (be sure to choose vehicles that are clearly not going to be driven by anyone anytime soon). ...

`Some of you will say: I already have a car adaptor for my cell phone. A lot of people don't though. You can also run your laptop off this adaptor, other mobile devices, or even a drop-light on an extension chord, so you have electric light outside your vehicle (if you're camping out of your car or truck).

*Mini Torch

.....If you do any camping, then you're well familiar with the propane camp stoves and also the small propane fuel bottles that come with many brands, such as Coleman camping gear. One very useful survival tool is a Blazer Self-Igniting Butane Micro-Torch, which connects to the top of a small butane canister.

This micro-torch is going to make starting a fire a piece of cake, even in relatively wet conditions. Plus you can also "improvise" and cook with it.

Tip: Set the propane canister down and hang a pot of water over the flame -- far enough away that the metal doesn't melt, but still gets hot enough to bring the water in the pot to a boil. With a flame that produces heat approximately 2500 degrees Fahrenheit, you can have water boiling within a short amount of time.

A micro-torch is a great way to quickly dry out damp kindling and then get a fire going with small pieces of wood. Never use in an enclosed area. A micro-torch of any kind produces carbon monoxide. Be in an area that has adequate ventilation.

**Shot Gun and Ammunition to Protect Life....

`Whether it's bears, cougars, or loose, dangerous dogs, consider having a shot gun and plenty of ammunition to protect yourself against wild animals that may have come down from the hills, or simply were freed from fenced enclosures because it just so happens that there's an exotic animal keeper that lives within your community who's pens are now destroyed, and animals let loose on the land...... Sound far fetched? This is exactly what happened in Ohio in October, 2011, when -- instead of a disaster striking -- the owner became suicidal and decided to take his own life, but first let his collection of about 50 wild animals loose on the community (these animals included full size lions, bears, panthers, and wolves.) See: U.S. News: Dozens of Exotic Animals Set Loose in Ohio as well.

A shot gun is nice because when shooting simply "shot", you don't have to have perfect aiming skills; just point the gun in the direction of the animal (or thug) that's attempting to take your life, and pull the trigger.```

**Siphon Hose / Pump

`Though the roads are mangled and for the most part un-driveable, you've still found a use for your vehicle.

`You've been able to turn the car on and let it idle, and send battery power to your DC to AC adaptor mentioned earlier in this article.

But then after a few days of idling for a few minutes at a time, you're running low on gas, and now it's time to think about re-fueling.
    ....Sure you can siphon gas from abandoned cars the old fashioned way using just your mouth and part of a hose, but I don't recommend that.
    ...Siphoning gas by mouth is dangerous. Ameriburn.org warns that acidentally swallowing gas while siphoning can be fatal. A better, safer method of siphoning gas is to use a siphon hose with pump if, like many, you don't like the idea of accidentally swallowing fuel, or simply getting it in your mouth....

**Survival tip: There are likely a handful of people in your community who are going to recognize early on that gas is now going to be hard to come by.

If you want to grab gas from abandoned or destroyed vehicles, you may want to have a plan in place early on to do just that.

......Or someone else is going to beat you to it. First, you're going to need fuel containers. If you do a good job preparing for disaster, and managed to fill a number of empty tanks of gasoline, you are now sitting on a hot commodity and a target for thieves, even thieves willing to resort to violence. ...Stealth will be called for:
    `In this situation that means the ability to keep your tanks concealed, as well as the ability to retrieve fuel from abandoned or destroyed cars. Figure out ways to do this without calling attention to yourself. You may need to work with other people, set up look-outs, etc.`

***Work Gloves

`In a disaster situation, there's a great chance you'll be picking through debris as you clean up your home, and help with the clean ups of your neighbors.

This means you'll be dealing with sharp pieces of wood, glass, even plastic, and then of course nails and maybe even chemicals (might want to have some rubber gloves around as well, especially around gas).

`Then there's the possible rescue attempts of people that may be trapped under the rubble of buildings in town, or even homes that have simply been shook apart by this violent earthquake. A good pear of work gloves will help protect your hands.

Work gloves are a handy item to consider having multiples pairs of, because there are going to be people thankful when you start passing them out.

Choose colors that are dark, not a flashy yellow or red, because those kind of colors just call out to crooks who may simply want to take them.

As the days and weeks progress, and resources become slim, and it's obvious no recovery is taking place -- and of course crooks are out and on the prowl -- consider this a time for stealth. Throw on some old, weathered, torn gloves over the top of your good work gloves. Throw some duct tape on the fingers of the old gloves.

`Just maybe no one will want the gloves your wearing, which means you get keep the good ones underneath.

If you live in an area that is hit by cold winters, then cold weather work gloves are called for as well.
    .....Your fingers will begin to freeze within just a few minutes of working in cold, wet snow -- you will hate the fact that you don't have cold weather work gloves on. Plus, your hands won't be any use in just a few short minutes of working in the cold.

*More to come later...feel free to add your own ideas for tools...

2. Thanks Jeff, darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I was talking earlier today with a woman who grew up in Northern Indiana. She got married and had two kids. After one winter too many, the family moved here to Orange County.
    Her husband drove a delivery truck. He was on his way back from Chicago once and got stuck in a snow storm. Police had shut down roads for being impassable. His supervisor called him twice and warned that if his load was not delivered by the end of the day, he would be fired. When it didn't happen, he lost his job.
    I often wonder how many situations like this lead to all the vehicles getting stuck in snow and flooding.

There is one condition that the most ardent survivalist can never prepare for -- human frailty. Stress and isolation can cause total physical and mental breakdown of the most hardy of individuals. If you have a group of people who are prepared for the worst, chances are some of them are going to snap. Then you have to fight the most feared enemy of all, dissension and inner conflict.

4. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I was talking earlier today with a woman who grew up in Northern Indiana. She got married and had two kids. After one winter too many, the family moved here to Orange County. Her husband drove a delivery truck. He was on his way back from Chicago once and got stuck in a snow storm. Police had shut down roads for being impassable. His supervisor called him twice and warned that if his load was not delivered by the end of the day, he would be fired. When it didn't happen, he lost his job. I often wonder how many situations like this lead to all the vehicles getting stuck in snow and flooding. There is one condition that the most ardent survivalist can never prepare for -- human frailty. Stress and isolation can cause total physical and mental breakdown of the most hardy of individuals. If you have a group of people who are prepared for the worst, chances are some of them are going to snap. Then you have to fight the most feared enemy of all, dissension and inner conflict.
    Gabs I would be willing to bet there is more to this story, I spent 25 years on the road and only seen the roads close a handful of times. I drove a tractor trailer not a delivery truck ( which usually doesn't do to much long distance ) The reason I bring this up is because chances are his supervisors knew just what the weather was like, I can remember heading to Boston and my dispatcher calling me as I was entering Connecticut to let me know they where shutting the highways in CT. See if they are hauling there own product or if they hauling a customers product a trucks holds thousands of dollars of product in some cases 100's of thousands, and only a idiot would take a chance of wrecking and not getting the load delivered. I have pulled over on my own when I felt it was to dangerous and I have had the dispatcher call and let me know that it was so bad in the area I was heading that there wasn't going to be anyone there to unload me when I got there, a real company keeps up on this or they usually go out of business real quick. After all if it is so bad they are shutting down highways then most bossiness close anyway.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

6. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Gabs I would be willing to bet there is more to this story, I spent 25 years on the road and only seen the roads close a handful of times. I drove a tractor trailer not a delivery truck ( which usually doesn't do to much long distance ) The reason I bring this up is because chances are his supervisors knew just what the weather was like, I can remember heading to Boston and my dispatcher calling me as I was entering Connecticut to let me know they where shutting the highways in CT. See if they are hauling there own product or if they hauling a customers product a trucks holds thousands of dollars of product in some cases 100's of thousands, and only a idiot would take a chance of wrecking and not getting the load delivered. I have pulled over on my own when I felt it was to dangerous and I have had the dispatcher call and let me know that it was so bad in the area I was heading that there wasn't going to be anyone there to unload me when I got there, a real company keeps up on this or they usually go out of business real quick. After all if it is so bad they are shutting down highways then most bossiness close anyway.
    I'm with you Jeff. Having a lifetime of memories of Northern IL, there hasn't been a time where travel was totally shut down, officially.

There may be roads closed, but in general, alternative roads are given, including police directions.

This mostly occurs with flooding, not snow. With snow you may have roads closed due to accidents, again alternates will be given.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Thanks LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm with you Jeff. Having a lifetime of memories of Northern IL, there hasn't been a time where travel was totally shut down, officially.

There may be roads closed, but in general, alternative roads are given, including police directions.

This mostly occurs with flooding, not snow. With snow you may have roads closed due to accidents, again alternates will be given.
    Your exactly right Kat, yes roads have been stopped dead many times due to accidents, but honestly I was always told that they couldn't shut a road down. But then while heading to Boston, where they where saying up to 52" where going to fall ( the blizzard started in VA, right on top of Fancy Gap) by the time I got the call I was up around mid PA and there was about 22" on the ground) and my dispatcher called and said CT was shutting down all Interstates. Honestly that is the only time I can remember any state shutting down roads, for snow anyway, yes even in NJ we shut roads down in certain places because of floods.

Now I do have a lot of friends that wanted me to know how bad of a storm they rode through and would tell me how they where just ahead of the road being shut down or I know a few that where afraid to drive in the snow that tried that excuse as well, they found another career right quick.

10. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Looking on the bright side (.. yes, I think there is one ..) .. one thing I think you can rely on is the unfitness of Lefties to in any way address the reality that would exist.

Lefties only see the reality that they prefer to see. They'd therefore never dream of preparing for any reality not already in their worldview.

Consequently, none would be around to promote their .. 'philosophy'. Somehow, I don't think I'd miss that too much ...
    They don't need to prepare ... they are just going to come take what we have.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    They don't need to prepare ... they are just going to come take what we have.
    and somehow I think you will be ready for them.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

13. Thanks SassyLady, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I'm all set. We didn't really build the cabin for that purpose, but it was a secondary concern.

If Doomsday were to hit, I think roughly half the population would simply wait around in the ruins waiting for someone to come rescue them. That doesn't seem very appealing, but really, what kind of survival skills would your typical city dweller have? Other than rampant looting, I don't think there's any other options. They'll all have really cool Nike shoes, but once the potato chips run out it will get pretty grim.

My biggest concern in that scenario is gasoline. That would truly become worth it's weight in gold in short order. Sure, I've got axes and hand saws, but the boat, ATVs and vehicles need gas and you can't store gas for more than 2 years or so & still be usable, even with stabilizers. And stockpiling 2 years of gas is unfeasible. Every gas station would quickly become heavily defended by a group of people... if they had the foresight to bring a generator to power the pumps, that is. Hard to get the gas out of the underground tanks without that.

I don't think ammo is as big of a concern as the gas. You can stockpile ammo and reloading is no big deal if you have the equipment.
    In Tucson, I have 4 acres of desert with tons of sunshine ..... solar panel field .... planning on getting solar powered generators. There are so many people down there with solar panels selling power back to the power companies ... might be a source of income if total anarchy doesn't break out. Might even have to get a solar powered vehicle.

NT ... for you ... get dog sled instead of ATVs. Sailboat. There are all types of sources of power other than gasoline. You're a innovative guy and you'll find a way.

15. Thanks Jeff, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I guess the most popular prevailing cause of Doomsday is nuclear war.

You guys remember when Chernobyl went down? I remember reading in the papers that the whole area was going to be an uninhabitable wasteland for hundreds of years, according to every "Expert" they could find to quote. There was much hand-wringing going on from every quarter - except from the Soviets, who promptly sent in hundreds of peasants to try and mitigate it.

The radiation levels went down much, much faster than anyone thought it would. It's still not healthy to be around there for very long, but it's no where near as bad as everyone said it was going to be years down the road.

I really don't think all the talk about radiation levels, fallout and nuclear winter would be as horrific in the long term as all the experts say it would. Mother earth has a way of fixing things pretty efficiently to bring back balance.

My own opinion of the most likely cause is a plague of some sort... like Stephen King's 'The Stand' or something along those lines. We all saw how Ebola spread, even when the entire world was aware of what was going on in Africa, and yet our idiot leaders allowed unrestricted air travel, and even sent some military troops there. Then, infected medical personnel - who knew they were possibly infected - still went out in public because they wanted to. Sheer stupidity, and if it had mutated to become airborne infectious, THEN we would have had a big problem.
    I'm of the opinion it will be a nuclear bomb that creates an EMP (or a massive solar flare). Thus my plan for power grid failure (sabotage is another avenue for power grid failure).

17. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Jeff. I am betting I won't be around when something like that takes place. My biggest concern is for our six grandchildren, our son's, and how they will survive in a TRUE WORLD FULL OF ASSHOLES.?
    I worry about my children and grandchildren having to survive in the world in the next 20 years even without a SHTF scenario. My son-in-law has been seriously looking for a piece of remote property that already has a compound built (where family extended family can go) or one that we all can contribute to. One of the reasons I'm moving to AZ is so that I'm not that far away from family.

19. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    and somehow I think you will be ready for them.
    The hard part will be refusing help to the children. They are going to be the innocent victims of their parents not prepping.

As I've mentioned before ... I have two bug out bags with identical items just in case I can't get home for a couple of days.

We have lots of horses (for transportation if needed), sheep, goats and cattle out here and a lot of people have chickens and rabbits. Both reproduce exponentially and are easy to kill and prep. As for the larger animals, having a supply of ammunition is just for protection.

Sorry Abbey, but protein will be essential to survival.

LTG ... another good tool to have is wire chain saw in your bug out bag.

The one thing I don't have in my vehicles is guns for protection. Just don't have enough guns and ammo at this time to keep in the house and in the vehicles. Plus, CA is freaky about guns in cars.

It also concerns me that my dog might not be with me when the SHTF.

Gabby ... I will definitely have PTSD if I have to go through chocolate withdrawals.

21. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

The hard part will be refusing help to the children. They are going to be the innocent victims of their parents not prepping.

As I've mentioned before ... I have two bug out bags with identical items just in case I can't get home for a couple of days.

We have lots of horses (for transportation if needed), sheep, goats and cattle out here and a lot of people have chickens and rabbits. Both reproduce exponentially and are easy to kill and prep. As for the larger animals, having a supply of ammunition is just for protection.

Sorry Abbey, but protein will be essential to survival.

LTG ... another good tool to have is wire chain saw in your bug out bag.

The one thing I don't have in my vehicles is guns for protection. Just don't have enough guns and ammo at this time to keep in the house and in the vehicles. Plus, CA is freaky about guns in cars.

It also concerns me that my dog might not be with me when the SHTF.

Gabby ... I will definitely have PTSD if I have to go through chocolate withdrawals.
    Don't worry about the guns, I will bring mine ( seeing as we are going to be roommates ) as for CA being freaky, it wont take but about a couple of hours for the liberal dweebs to fall off after any kind of major issue ( without having Obama to tell them what to do they will fall apart and I am sure communication will come to a halt ) So with the freaks gone so will be the freaky laws.

23. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

My survival plan if/when SHTF is to stand my ground, protect my home and kill every son a bitch that comes to take from or harm me and mine!
    Trust me on this, I can stand against any ramble and knock off a hundred or so and have not the slightest hesitation in doing that.
    All one needs is the weapons, ammo and expertise in use of same.
    Nobody in their right mind would say it would be easy or that they be sure 100% of surviving but taking out as many as possible of the damn government leeches that would rape , rob , murder and steal as soon as all hell broke loose is the next best thing.
    Come to think of it, many of those ffing government(black/illegals, drug infested vermin ) leeches are already raping, robbing, murdering and stealing even now before all hell has come down..
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

25. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

My survival plan if/when SHTF is to stand my ground, protect my home and kill every son a bitch that comes to take from or try harm me and mine!
    Trust me on this, I can stand against any ramble and knock off maybe a hundred or so and have not the slightest hesitation in doing that.
    All one needs is the weapons, ammo and expertise in use of same.

Nobody in their right mind would say it would be easy or that they be sure 100% of surviving but taking out as many as possible of the damn government leeches that would rape , rob , murder and steal as soon as all hell broke loose is the next best thing IMHO.
    Come to think of it, many of those ffing government(black/illegals, drug infested vermin ) leeches are already raping, robbing, murdering and stealing even now before all hell has come down..--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

NT ... for you ... get dog sled instead of ATVs. Sailboat. There are all types of sources of power other than gasoline. You're a innovative guy and you'll find a way.
    Oh yeah, for winter time travel a dogsled would definitely be the ticket. Been there, done that. It's a huge job to feed 10 or 12 dogs all year round, but that's just how it is. The real problem is that for a dog team, they have to have a packed trail - otherwise they're wallowing in snow that's sometimes 7 feet deep.

So back in the day, I would strap on snowshoes and stomp a 20-mile trail down the river. The new trail would not be usable by dogs until the compacted snow "sets up" (hardens) overnight. The next day it was a concrete-hard trail, and I'd generally get about 2 or 3 miles per day making the trail. It really sucked when we'd get another dump of snow and the whole process would start all over again.

Another big problem we encountered was that every moose in the area would get onto our trail, because they didn't like wallowing in snow up to their necks - that takes a lot of energy. So they'd hang out on our trail and would get very aggressive... so we'd have a mexican standoff - we couldn't get around them, and they wouldn't get off the trail. We ate a lot of moose.

Solar would definitely be the order of the day, along with a water wheel generator for the summer months.

As far as sailboats... that's not feasible. The Talkeetna River is a very shallow, fast running glacial river - the current is about 16 miles per hour. My jet boat can run in a couple inches of water, but I have to be moving at a very high rate of speed - the faster you go, the less water you draw.

Here's a video clip that Sharon took last summer in a section of river about halfway up to the cabin. I'm maneuvering left and right because I'm keeping the boat in the deepest water available and if I didn't, we would hit the bottom and get stuck on a gravel bar... and that sucks. At the 1:16 mark on this video, you can hear me hammer the throttle because we're going over a spot that's about 2 inches deep and I want the boat to be as high in the water as possible :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Aq6BwTfwQ20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So as you can see, I need the 300 horsepower in that boat! Getting there overland is impossible, because of ravines, other tributaries and generally impassible terrain. I've walked out before, but it took 2 full days of risky and incredibly difficult physical exertion - and that's back when I was one tough unit.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

28. Thanks LongTermGuy, Jeff, SassyLady, darin thanked this post