Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Won't know when the SHTF.

As Johnny Carson once described it, many years ago on TV.

My "Plan B", at this point in my life is.

Finding Two Chipmunks, tying ropes to each of their tails, and the other ends to each of my legs.

Then, someone shoots a SHOTGUN that makes the Chipmunks run for their holes,

and I GET BURIED instantly!

PLAN B ANYONE?
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    My survival plan if/when SHTF is to stand my ground, protect my home and kill every son a bitch that comes to take from or harm me and mine!
    Trust me on this, I can stand against any ramble and knock off a hundred or so and have not the slightest hesitation in doing that.
    All one needs is the weapons, ammo and expertise in use of same.
    Nobody in their right mind would say it would be easy or that they be sure 100% of surviving but taking out as many as possible of the damn government leeches that would rape , rob , murder and steal as soon as all hell broke loose is the next best thing.
    Come to think of it, many of those ffing government(black/illegals, drug infested vermin ) leeches are already raping, robbing, murdering and stealing even now before all hell has come down..
    Not if I blow up your house first. It's not difficult to make an explosive. It's something I learned in college.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Not if I blow up your house first. It's not difficult to make an explosive. It's something I learned in college.

Sounds very much like a veiled threat to me gabby. You sound like the Anarchist, Hippy, Ayres follower we all suspected you might be...out there in Hollyweirdland. Which is all of the state to most of us.

How would you like a visit from the FBI, or DIA soon, after making such threats like Democrats who instantly apologize after intentionally claiming they MIS-SPOKE?
    So, this is for them.

5. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

There was nothing "veiled" about it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

There was nothing "veiled" about it.

You sound as dumb as Al Sharpton now. Bragging about a threat.
    So, this is for them.

8. Thanks LongTermGuy, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Life is cheap to a Leftie.

Gabby, certainly so far as I am concerned, there are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed on a public forum such as this. Suggesting the blowing up of another debate member's house, is surely one of them !!!

Decency should tell you this, and be your guide. It testifies to your mindset and the worth of your civic beliefs and standards, does it not, that you have not perceived that for yourself.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

10. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

That was over the line. Knock that shit off.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

12. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

You do realize, of course, that we are talking about a doomsday survivalist scenario and not current real life.

You can have a shelter full of weapons and supplies and be all set to take on a straight forward attack. Until someone comes against you with a launcher and a few pipe bombs.

Some of you take this board WAY too seriously.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

`Some` Liberals have no clue about preparedness and survival.....maybe thats a good thing

15. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

You do realize, of course, that we are talking about a doomsday survivalist scenario and not current real life.

You can have a shelter full of weapons and supplies and be all set to take on a straight forward attack. Until someone comes against you with a launcher and a few pipe bombs.

Some of you take this board WAY too seriously.

No Gabby. It is you who takes this board too seriously. And, when you use the standard, liberal, Democrat word games as you have, sounding like all the Miss-spoken, apologists who said things, then, instantly apologized saying they DIDN'T MEAN IT...makes you just as DISHONEST as Obama, and his Liar's Club members. Of which, you are obviously, trying to gain the presidency.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Oh yeah, for winter time travel a dogsled would definitely be the ticket. Been there, done that. It's a huge job to feed 10 or 12 dogs all year round, but that's just how it is. The real problem is that for a dog team, they have to have a packed trail - otherwise they're wallowing in snow that's sometimes 7 feet deep.

So back in the day, I would strap on snowshoes and stomp a 20-mile trail down the river. The new trail would not be usable by dogs until the compacted snow "sets up" (hardens) overnight. The next day it was a concrete-hard trail, and I'd generally get about 2 or 3 miles per day making the trail. It really sucked when we'd get another dump of snow and the whole process would start all over again.

Another big problem we encountered was that every moose in the area would get onto our trail, because they didn't like wallowing in snow up to their necks - that takes a lot of energy. So they'd hang out on our trail and would get very aggressive... so we'd have a mexican standoff - we couldn't get around them, and they wouldn't get off the trail. We ate a lot of moose.

Solar would definitely be the order of the day, along with a water wheel generator for the summer months.

As far as sailboats... that's not feasible. The Talkeetna River is a very shallow, fast running glacial river - the current is about 16 miles per hour. My jet boat can run in a couple inches of water, but I have to be moving at a very high rate of speed - the faster you go, the less water you draw.

Here's a video clip that Sharon took last summer in a section of river about halfway up to the cabin. I'm maneuvering left and right because I'm keeping the boat in the deepest water available and if I didn't, we would hit the bottom and get stuck on a gravel bar... and that sucks. At the 1:16 mark on this video, you can hear me hammer the throttle because we're going over a spot that's about 2 inches deep and I want the boat to be as high in the water as possible :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Aq6BwTfwQ20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

So as you can see, I need the 300 horsepower in that boat! Getting there overland is impossible, because of ravines, other tributaries and generally impassible terrain. I've walked out before, but it took 2 full days of risky and incredibly difficult physical exertion - and that's back when I was one tough unit.
    Now I know why I love you!!! Anyone that can drive a jet boat up/down a nasty river like that with all those obstacles in the water is my type of man. Thank Sharon for the ride along. Brought back memories of water skiing up one of the rivers at Lake Shasta! The further up we went the more narrow and more debris.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

18. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

In graduate psychology, we did a unit about this. We called it "the doomsday exercise."
    I am certain that preppers have done all their homework on the physical side. They have shelter, supplies, ammo, all the basics. But how would you deal with PTSD following a conflict? How about the stress involved with isolation and sensory deprivation? How will you cope with a sudden lifestyle change, or the possible loss of one or more family members?
    simple question
    Do you deal with all the emotional side easier if you have food water and a decent safe place to stay
    or if your on the streets without any of those things?
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-08-2015 at 02:39 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

20. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I have never known anyone with a house strong enough to protect them from more than about 1 person with a decently-powered rifle.

5.56 vs wood house? 5.56 wins.

7.62 vs wood house? 7.62 wins.

vs brick? same thing.

You want a secure house? take out the insulation and stuff the space with sandbags, or pay for very-expensive ballistic panels. Don't forget to board up and sand the windows and doorways.

Probably best to set up OP or engagement point away from the house. Put even a decently-trained rifleman at 200 yards with open sights and your house will be riddled with 'death'.

And 19" of wood/fiber vs 5.56 and 7.62 -

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

22. Thanks revelarts, LongTermGuy, SassyLady thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Hope this thread stays current! good info here.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

24. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

​*Some good reading...if interested...

`...The Survival Mind - How to Develop The Will to Survive...`

`Some people crack under sudden pressure and fear. Even soldiers, even cops. What about you? Facing a conflict or following a major disaster, your life may be on the line. The decisions you make next could cost you or someone else your lives. ......`

`Fear is a response to sudden or perceived danger. The larger the danger and the suddenness or unexpectedness of it, the greater the level of fear that can flood your mind........`

`If you're not trained to respond to fear, it can overwhelm you fast. This is fear that even you, dear confident reader, might not be truly prepared for. Everything you think you know may go out the window. And then you crack.Or maybe it's your neighbors, following a major disaster. Your neighbors "lose it". Maybe it's the local police.....`

***How do Special Forces soldiers keep a level head at a time when other people would crack?

For one, they're pushed to the limits of physical endurance, where they learn to "disassociate" from the pain and discomfort of physical training.

That means they're mentally able to re-focus their minds (or make an effort to re-focus their minds) to something else. By doing this, they disassociate.
    .....Steve Smith, former Navy SEAL, says in this article on
    the mental toughness of Spec Ops soldiers, "The ability to disassociate should not be confused with the disassociate disorder often caused by traumatic events, but rather realized as a method to endure long, painful, uncomfortable, and tiring events like Hell Week or cold water exposure."

**Disassociate from Fear Fear in the wake of disaster or sudden danger can drive you to make bad decisions, like curling up into the fetal position on the ground, when you actually should be fighting for your very life, or running in the opposite direction, right at that moment, if you want to live through whatever is taking place.
    The challenge is to think tactically, when confronted with fear. Tactically, for newcomers here, means to make strategic decisions, sometimes in the heat of the moment, and often in the military refers to tactical operations.....

Times of High Stress and or Physical Endurance

What causes people to crack and give up, sometimes abruptly, when others still have the ability to push on?

`For some, mental stress or physical discomfort or pain is just too much, or mounts too quickly, and their brains make the conscious decision to simply quit. They give up. They can't go on. It's just too difficult.
    Or there's too much fear and they freeze.
    In some situations, this is where death may now be imminent.

What a person lacks in this situation is the will to survive. This means you give up -- and possibly die -- rather than overcome your fear (by disassociating from it), or fight on through the pain and discomfort of physical endurance (by also disassociating from it), and live to see another day.....

Fear and the Will to Survive
    A lot of people go through life without giving any thought to either one.The lack of a will to survive is a psychological process that can kill you. Throughout history, people have either lived or died when placed in a perilous survival situation.
    What is Fear?

Fear is a response to sudden or perceived danger. The larger the danger and the suddenness or unexpectedness of it, the greater the level of fear that can flood your mind. If you're not trained to respond to fear, it can overwhelm you fast. This is fear that even you, dear confident reader, might not be truly prepared for. Everything you think you know may go out the window. And then you crack.Or maybe it's your neighbors, following a major disaster. Your neighbors "lose it". Maybe it's the local police.
    Disassociation -- How Spec Ops Soldiers Keep a Level Head in Times of Danger

How do Special Forces soldiers keep a level head at a time when other people would crack? For one, they're pushed to the limits of physical endurance, where they learn to "disassociate" from the pain and discomfort of physical training. That means they're mentally able to re-focus their minds (or make an effort to re-focus their minds) to something else. By doing this, they disassociate.Steve Smith, former Navy SEAL, says in this article on the mental toughness of Spec Ops soldiers, "The ability to disassociate should not be confused with the disassociate disorder often caused by traumatic events, but rather realized as a method to endure long, painful, uncomfortable, and tiring events like Hell Week or cold water exposure."

Disassociate from Fear Fear in the wake of disaster or sudden danger can drive you to make bad decisions, like curling up into the fetal position on the ground, when you actually should be fighting for your very life, or running in the opposite direction, right at that moment, if you want to live through whatever is taking place.

The challenge is to think tactically, when confronted with fear. Tactically, for newcomers here, means to make strategic decisions, sometimes in the heat of the moment, and often in the military refers to tactical operations.

Times of High Stress and or Physical Endurance

What causes people to crack and give up, sometimes abruptly, when others still have the ability to push on? For some, mental stress or physical discomfort or pain is just too much, or mounts too quickly, and their brains make the conscious decision to simply quit. They give up. They can't go on. It's just too difficult.
    Or there's too much fear and they freeze.
    In some situations, this is where death may now be imminent.
    What a person lacks in this situation is the will to survive. This means you give up -- and possibly die -- rather than overcome your fear (by disassociating from it), or fight on through the pain and discomfort of physical endurance (by also disassociating from it), and live to see another day.

Hard Times Can Develop Survivors

...Today, most people live comfortable lives compared to many of our recent ancestors, those who had to suffer through hard times periodically, especially early in life.

Or they had to work their tails off on farms and in factories for decades to support their families.
    These hard times early in life can help people develop a will to survive.
    There individual experiences are tools that they can tap into in survival situations, survival situations that may cost many their lives otherwise, should they have simply given up, instead of continuing to "push on".

Pushing On and Overcoming Fear

...Pushing on means going out of your comfort zone to reach your goals. Overcoming fear means pushing fear away (for example, by "disassociation") so you can make good, tactical decisions.

What about you? What are you going to tap into? Look at your comfortable life. Are you imprisoned by your comfort zone?

`Breaking Out of Prison`

`Challenge yourself regularly to do new things. You will have to stretch. Maybe you'll exercise more often and with more intensity.

Cut Calories
    - Maybe you'll go without certain junk foods for longer.

Tackle Charity
    - Maybe you'll give more of yourself to volunteer work and more money (for those of you with money) to help the poor.

Dirty Jobs
    - Maybe you'll "lower yourself" to take on tasks that other people shun (community volunteering can open that door, so look around and find ways to challenge yourself, and get out of your comfort zone).

Tougher Excursions
    - Plan longer, tougher hikes. Carry a little more weight in your pack with each excursion. Purposely plan some hikes in bad weather. Then tough it out. Learn to enjoy your hike, even in the rain and cold (always go prepared, don't get yourself killed because you poorly researched a hike or climb).

No More Excuses
    - Stop being so analytical. Stop looking for reasons why you can't.

`You can. Now figure out a way to make it happen.

.....Excuses will box you in and trap you in failure. Blow the lid off that box and defy reason. For some, that's a decision to live by faith in God.

`For others, that's the decision to climb Mount Everest with only one arm, surf professionally with only one arm, or play professional sports with only one arm.

Push yourself repeatedly. Dig down deep and push on. Persevere under trial and challenge.
    If you haven't faced any hard times or extreme obstacles that have challenged you to persevere and overcome, you may find out the hard way one day that you lack the will to survive.

You might die half-way up a mountain you could of otherwise tackled with ease -- had you been training yourself in the previous weeks and months to push on.

You might drown off shore due to the sudden shock of cold waters when your ship goes under -- and again, sorely lacking in endurance, you just don't have what it takes to swim yourself to shore.

Reckless Decision Making Under Pressure

....At the same time, rational thought in a survival situation when emotions are running high goes out the window.
    Flooded with emotions (fear, stress, anger, frustration, bitterness, sorrow, etc.) that you can't control can blind you from thinking clearly and making the correct decisions....

Controlled Adaptation

Like controlled adaption.
    You are able to improvise.....Some people can adapt and change directions, but it's because they are pushed and bullied by circumstances.

By giving in to the bully of circumstance, they may be pushed down the wrong path, a path that ultimately leads to either failure, or a lack luster finish.

Push yourself, even if you have to push yourself up a mountain. Don't get pushed down the easy path of failure or surrender.

When up against a dangerous situation, your decisions based on the choices before you can either lead to the success and positive morale of yourself and others, or just the opposite: The death of all.

`A Survivor Will Never Give Up............`

26. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post