Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Default World of Tanks

Anyone else playing this? It's free, and it's a hell of a fun game. You play on a team of 10 other players against a team of 10 on a bunch of different maps with diverse terrain, like cities, towns, ruins, forested valleys, desert, etc.

The tanks are all from the 1920s to the 1950s. Each tank has it's strength and weaknesses, and they've tried to keep them historically accurate as far as their performance, size, firepower, accuracy, armor, etc. Some are prototypes that never made it to the battlefield but were put in the game for balance.

There's 5 different classes : Light, Medium, Heavy, Tank Destroyers or Artillery (self propelled) from 7 different nations : USA, Britain, Germany, France, Soviet Union, China and Japan.

You start out in a Tier 1 (first level tank) that is very weak, and when you get enough experience points and money from battles, you can upgrade your tank with bigger guns, better turret, better suspension, bigger engine, etc. The highest level tank you can get is a Tier 10, and they are impressive.

Mobility is key, except with Tank Destroyers who hide and snipe, and of course Artillery - both of these have tremendous firepower but are themselves lightly armored. The goal in a battle is to take over the enemy's base or destroy all 10 opponents.

Light Tanks are fast and maneuverable, lightly armored in consideration of their speed. I have a couple that reach 80 MPH, their primary mission is to scout the map to find where the enemy tanks are, and if you're good enough (and sometimes some luck), you can zoom in and take out the enemy Artillery that are pounding your team mates. American examples would be the Stuart and Chaffee.

Mediums are good all around tanks, fairly fast, decent armor and pack a good punch. They can maneuver around a heavy tank and shoot them from the sides or rear, where the armor is weakest. American examples would be the Pershing or Patton tanks.

Heavy tanks are heavily armored, slow and pack a very strong punch. Getting hit by one of these in a light or medium can blow your turret off your rig. They generally brawl with opposing Heavies and advance the line to the enemy's base.

My tanks are all Lights, Heavies and Tank Destroyers. I have my favorites in every line, for the Lights I'm working up the German line and my highest is a Tier 7. My highest Heavy is a Soviet IS-3, Tier 8, but favorite is the IS-6 because of it's sloped armor. I angle it to 45 degrees to my opponent when in a brawl, and the sloped armor ricochets or deflects most of the rounds hitting me... and the 122mm cannon really packs a wallop. My highest rig is a monster German E-100 Tank Destroyer - it's very slow, but it has a 170mm cannon that rocks the turrets off of anything except a Tier 10 Heavy - and sometimes them, too.

Anyway, just finished a pretty good game in my IS-6 Heavy, check out the medals I got for that battle, I killed 3 other tanks :

Another result in my Tier 5 German Leopard (light tank), I killed 7 other tanks :

You can also play in a Platoon with 1 or 2 other friends so you can work together on the battlefield... it's a blast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

2. Thanks jimnyc, LongTermGuy, CSM, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Yep, I do play this game. Aggravating as hell sometimes but then I am old and cranky. I like the heavies and TDs mostly...hate artillery (either playing or playing against it). I have never platooned nor am I in a clan. Don't have premium account either.

I will say it is fun and entertaining MOST of the time.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Thanks Jeff, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I am not into the game scene at all really, except 8 ball, a pool game, but NT that looks like fun I just may give it a try, thanks for sharing !!
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

6. Thanks NightTrain, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Yep, I do play this game. Aggravating as hell sometimes but then I am old and cranky. I like the heavies and TDs mostly...hate artillery (either playing or playing against it). I have never platooned nor am I in a clan. Don't have premium account either.

I will say it is fun and entertaining MOST of the time.

I really like the Heavies and TDs as well. I got into the Heavies because I got tired of getting one-shotted in my TD by a big Heavy I was sniping at, and it's pretty nice to be able to take a bunch of hits and keep fighting. I don't play my Tier 10 Tank Destroyer much, a normal round for it costs 2,200 for a normal shot. I like the BOOM factor, but it's just so incredibly slow - top speed is 30, and that's with 1200 horsepower... going up hills it just crawls.

I really hate the artillery as well, so that's why I got into the Lights. It is really fun getting up to speed and zooming into their base to kill off their artillery... they REALLY get pissed. I need to start taking screenshots of the pissing and moaning I get after I pull off a successful raid... sometimes I crash into things because I'm laughing too hard to properly steer as they rage about that Light that just manhandled all 3 arties.

I don't platoon very often, when I do it's with a friend or my brother and we use a voice chat so we can work together. Mainly that's for the missions they just added... I think I'm about 40% through those now and completed all the TD missions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I really like the Heavies and TDs as well. I got into the Heavies because I got tired of getting one-shotted in my TD by a big Heavy I was sniping at, and it's pretty nice to be able to take a bunch of hits and keep fighting. I don't play my Tier 10 Tank Destroyer much, a normal round for it costs 2,200 for a normal shot. I like the BOOM factor, but it's just so incredibly slow - top speed is 30, and that's with 1200 horsepower... going up hills it just crawls.

I really hate the artillery as well, so that's why I got into the Lights. It is really fun getting up to speed and zooming into their base to kill off their artillery... they REALLY get pissed. I need to start taking screenshots of the pissing and moaning I get after I pull off a successful raid... sometimes I crash into things because I'm laughing too hard to properly steer as they rage about that Light that just manhandled all 3 arties.

I don't platoon very often, when I do it's with a friend or my brother and we use a voice chat so we can work together. Mainly that's for the missions they just added... I think I'm about 40% through those now and completed all the TD missions.
    I hear ya. I am not agile enough to use the high speed lights. Old slow and ugly ... that's me. I play mostly tiers 4 thru 8, though I do have an ST-1 I use now and then. I only have 8k matches (I think) and all of those are solo.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is great and i just want to ask what controls do i need to use in this game
    Wisdom is an inner reservoir

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donaldg View Post
    This is great and i just want to ask what controls do i need to use in this game
    key board and mouse...
    Thomas Jefferson

11. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Yeah, keyboard and mouse.

Correction : it's 15 players vs 15 players... not 10. Don't know what I was thinking.

So, CSM, I've been playing artillery. Got a Tier 7 GW Panther and it's a beast! Nothing like blowing the turret off a heavy with one shot. You really fear the light tanks playing those... they're completely helpless against those speedy little buggers. It really helps to know where an Artillery can hit you, like in the city on the Siegfried Line map you're pretty much safe anywhere except the town square, and even then half of that square is safe... but God help you if you venture out and fight out in the field out front.

I don't have nearly as much trouble with getting nailed by artillery after playing them and learning their weaknesses. Also, when I go Arty hunting, I know where they're going to be hiding unless they're a ballsy bastard and are up toward the front line near the brawling.

Did you complete the first set of missions yet? I'm halfway through the second set now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Correction : it's 15 players vs 15 players... not 10. Don't know what I was thinking.

So, CSM, I've been playing artillery. Got a Tier 7 GW Panther and it's a beast! Nothing like blowing the turret off a heavy with one shot. You really fear the light tanks playing those... they're completely helpless against those speedy little buggers. It really helps to know where an Artillery can hit you, like in the city on the Siegfried Line map you're pretty much safe anywhere except the town square, and even then half of that square is safe... but God help you if you venture out and fight out in the field out front.

I don't have nearly as much trouble with getting nailed by artillery after playing them and learning their weaknesses. Also, when I go Arty hunting, I know where they're going to be hiding unless they're a ballsy bastard and are up toward the front line near the brawling.

Did you complete the first set of missions yet? I'm halfway through the second set now.
    This is a game?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I just hate arty soooo much! I am a retired red leg too.... I guess I'll have to at least try it... what line do you think is best to start with for arty?
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    This is a game?
    Supposedly...some folks take it way too serious though
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Supposedly...some folks take it way too serious though
    I don't get it. This is playing? Who takes it seriously? A stupid game?

Guess I'm missing the "funny" part .....
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I don't get it. This is playing? Who takes it seriously? A stupid game?

Guess I'm missing the "funny" part .....

Yeah, it's an online game where you are part of a random 15-person team of tanks against the opposing 15. It's a fun game & very challenging... proper use of tactics (like outflanking an enemy tank) is what wins the battle. And, of course, how you have equipped your tank and how experienced your crew is.

I'm not sure what was supposed to be funny...?

18. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I just hate arty soooo much! I am a retired red leg too.... I guess I'll have to at least try it... what line do you think is best to start with for arty?
    Arty is wildly different. Mine are German, their accuracy is much better than the other flavors. The higher the tier, the more latitude your barrel will swing so you don't have to re-position your hull and begin aiming again.

A trick I learned fast is to position your Arty where you intend to begin working and then hit the 'X' key - that locks your hull in place and it won't rotate until you take it off or manually rotate your hull.

Ammunition Rammer and the + Aiming Speed are mandatory on those.

Also, be patient when you're trying to nail someone - wait until your aiming is as tight as it will go before you pull the trigger. Artillery is inaccurate as it is, patience is key... sometimes you get lucky with a shot that wasn't fully aimed, but 90% of the time you just wasted a shot and 45 seconds on a reload!

My brother is running up the Soviet Arty line, and his Tier 7 & 8 have a massive splash damage from the HE shells - last week he killed 3 tanks with one shot, it was one in a million.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Yeah, it's an online game where you are part of a random 15-person team of tanks against the opposing 15. It's a fun game & very challenging... proper use of tactics (like outflanking an enemy tank) is what wins the battle. And, of course, how you have equipped your tank and how experienced your crew is.

I'm not sure what was supposed to be funny...?
    Sorry. I don't see the funny part to killing people. Winning a battle always has a price.