Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: World of Tanks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    12,468
    Thanks (Given)
    7840
    Thanks (Received)
    13659
    Likes (Given)
    1843
    Likes (Received)
    1936
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475121

    Default World of Tanks

    Anyone else playing this? It's free, and it's a hell of a fun game. You play on a team of 10 other players against a team of 10 on a bunch of different maps with diverse terrain, like cities, towns, ruins, forested valleys, desert, etc.

    The tanks are all from the 1920s to the 1950s. Each tank has it's strength and weaknesses, and they've tried to keep them historically accurate as far as their performance, size, firepower, accuracy, armor, etc. Some are prototypes that never made it to the battlefield but were put in the game for balance.

    There's 5 different classes : Light, Medium, Heavy, Tank Destroyers or Artillery (self propelled) from 7 different nations : USA, Britain, Germany, France, Soviet Union, China and Japan.

    You start out in a Tier 1 (first level tank) that is very weak, and when you get enough experience points and money from battles, you can upgrade your tank with bigger guns, better turret, better suspension, bigger engine, etc. The highest level tank you can get is a Tier 10, and they are impressive.

    Mobility is key, except with Tank Destroyers who hide and snipe, and of course Artillery - both of these have tremendous firepower but are themselves lightly armored. The goal in a battle is to take over the enemy's base or destroy all 10 opponents.

    Light Tanks are fast and maneuverable, lightly armored in consideration of their speed. I have a couple that reach 80 MPH, their primary mission is to scout the map to find where the enemy tanks are, and if you're good enough (and sometimes some luck), you can zoom in and take out the enemy Artillery that are pounding your team mates. American examples would be the Stuart and Chaffee.

    Mediums are good all around tanks, fairly fast, decent armor and pack a good punch. They can maneuver around a heavy tank and shoot them from the sides or rear, where the armor is weakest. American examples would be the Pershing or Patton tanks.

    Heavy tanks are heavily armored, slow and pack a very strong punch. Getting hit by one of these in a light or medium can blow your turret off your rig. They generally brawl with opposing Heavies and advance the line to the enemy's base.

    My tanks are all Lights, Heavies and Tank Destroyers. I have my favorites in every line, for the Lights I'm working up the German line and my highest is a Tier 7. My highest Heavy is a Soviet IS-3, Tier 8, but favorite is the IS-6 because of it's sloped armor. I angle it to 45 degrees to my opponent when in a brawl, and the sloped armor ricochets or deflects most of the rounds hitting me... and the 122mm cannon really packs a wallop. My highest rig is a monster German E-100 Tank Destroyer - it's very slow, but it has a 170mm cannon that rocks the turrets off of anything except a Tier 10 Heavy - and sometimes them, too.

    Anyway, just finished a pretty good game in my IS-6 Heavy, check out the medals I got for that battle, I killed 3 other tanks :



    Another result in my Tier 5 German Leopard (light tank), I killed 7 other tanks :



    You can also play in a Platoon with 1 or 2 other friends so you can work together on the battlefield... it's a blast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,820
    Thanks (Given)
    939
    Thanks (Received)
    3706
    Likes (Given)
    507
    Likes (Received)
    800
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17759643

    Default

    Yep, I do play this game. Aggravating as hell sometimes but then I am old and cranky. I like the heavies and TDs mostly...hate artillery (either playing or playing against it). I have never platooned nor am I in a clan. Don't have premium account either.

    I will say it is fun and entertaining MOST of the time.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    10,089
    Thanks (Given)
    18723
    Thanks (Received)
    8005
    Likes (Given)
    132
    Likes (Received)
    24
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9291956

    Default

    I am not into the game scene at all really, except 8 ball, a pool game, but NT that looks like fun I just may give it a try, thanks for sharing !!
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    12,468
    Thanks (Given)
    7840
    Thanks (Received)
    13659
    Likes (Given)
    1843
    Likes (Received)
    1936
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Yep, I do play this game. Aggravating as hell sometimes but then I am old and cranky. I like the heavies and TDs mostly...hate artillery (either playing or playing against it). I have never platooned nor am I in a clan. Don't have premium account either.

    I will say it is fun and entertaining MOST of the time.

    I really like the Heavies and TDs as well. I got into the Heavies because I got tired of getting one-shotted in my TD by a big Heavy I was sniping at, and it's pretty nice to be able to take a bunch of hits and keep fighting. I don't play my Tier 10 Tank Destroyer much, a normal round for it costs 2,200 for a normal shot. I like the BOOM factor, but it's just so incredibly slow - top speed is 30, and that's with 1200 horsepower... going up hills it just crawls.

    I really hate the artillery as well, so that's why I got into the Lights. It is really fun getting up to speed and zooming into their base to kill off their artillery... they REALLY get pissed. I need to start taking screenshots of the pissing and moaning I get after I pull off a successful raid... sometimes I crash into things because I'm laughing too hard to properly steer as they rage about that Light that just manhandled all 3 arties.

    I don't platoon very often, when I do it's with a friend or my brother and we use a voice chat so we can work together. Mainly that's for the missions they just added... I think I'm about 40% through those now and completed all the TD missions.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,820
    Thanks (Given)
    939
    Thanks (Received)
    3706
    Likes (Given)
    507
    Likes (Received)
    800
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17759643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I really like the Heavies and TDs as well. I got into the Heavies because I got tired of getting one-shotted in my TD by a big Heavy I was sniping at, and it's pretty nice to be able to take a bunch of hits and keep fighting. I don't play my Tier 10 Tank Destroyer much, a normal round for it costs 2,200 for a normal shot. I like the BOOM factor, but it's just so incredibly slow - top speed is 30, and that's with 1200 horsepower... going up hills it just crawls.

    I really hate the artillery as well, so that's why I got into the Lights. It is really fun getting up to speed and zooming into their base to kill off their artillery... they REALLY get pissed. I need to start taking screenshots of the pissing and moaning I get after I pull off a successful raid... sometimes I crash into things because I'm laughing too hard to properly steer as they rage about that Light that just manhandled all 3 arties.

    I don't platoon very often, when I do it's with a friend or my brother and we use a voice chat so we can work together. Mainly that's for the missions they just added... I think I'm about 40% through those now and completed all the TD missions.
    I hear ya. I am not agile enough to use the high speed lights. Old slow and ugly ... that's me. I play mostly tiers 4 thru 8, though I do have an ST-1 I use now and then. I only have 8k matches (I think) and all of those are solo.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    10
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    63

    Default

    This is great and i just want to ask what controls do i need to use in this game
    Wisdom is an inner reservoir

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,820
    Thanks (Given)
    939
    Thanks (Received)
    3706
    Likes (Given)
    507
    Likes (Received)
    800
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17759643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donaldg View Post
    This is great and i just want to ask what controls do i need to use in this game
    key board and mouse...
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Debate Policy - Political Forums