Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Default NSA has hidden spyware on most Harddrives...

In the continuing story of how the Bill of rights is a dead letter.

the 4th amendment is blasted to crap again.

not even your hardrives are not safe.
    --but but but that's not REALLY personal effects or papers i suppose some lawyers will argue.--
    and
    ---they are only doing it to foreign countries hardrives.
    --
    didn't they say that about phone taps, and email? have they stopped? should you belive it now?

will we vote for anyone to reign this in?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LK1QV20150216

(Reuters) - The U.S. National Security Agency has figured out how to hide spying software deep within hard drives made by Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and other top manufacturers, giving the agency the means to eavesdrop on the majority of the world's computers, according to cyber researchers and former operatives.

That long-sought and closely guarded ability was part of a cluster of spying programs discovered by Kaspersky Lab, the Moscow-based security software maker that has exposed a series of Western cyberespionage operations.
    Kaspersky said it found personal computers in 30 countries infected with one or more of the spying programs, with the most infections seen in Iran, followed by Russia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Mali, Syria, Yemen and Algeria. The targets included government and military institutions, telecommunication companies, banks, energy companies, nuclear researchers, media, and Islamic activists, Kaspersky said. (reut.rs/1L5knm0)
    The firm declined to publicly name the country behind the spying campaign, but said it was closely linked to Stuxnet, the NSA-led cyberweapon that was used to attack Iran's uranium enrichment facility. The NSA is the agency responsible for gathering electronic intelligence on behalf of the United States.
    A former NSA employee told Reuters that Kaspersky's analysis was correct, and that people still in the intelligence agency valued these spying programs as highly as Stuxnet. Another former intelligence operative confirmed that the NSA had developed the prized technique of concealing spyware in hard drives, but said he did not know which spy efforts relied on it.
    NSA spokeswoman Vanee Vines declined to comment.
    Kaspersky published the technical details of its research on Monday, which should help infected institutions detect the spying programs, some of which trace back as far as 2001.
    The disclosure could further hurt the NSA's surveillance abilities, already damaged by massive leaks by former contractor Edward Snowden. Snowden's revelations have hurt the United States' relations with some allies and slowed the sales of U.S. technology products abroad.
    The exposure of these new spying tools could lead to greater backlash against Western technology, particularly in countries such as China, which is already drafting regulations that would require most bank technology suppliers to proffer copies of their software code for inspection.
    Peter Swire, one of five members of U.S. President Barack Obama's Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technology, said the Kaspersky report showed that it is essential for the country to consider the possible impact on trade and diplomatic relations before deciding to use its knowledge of software flaws for intelligence gathering.
    "There can be serious negative effects on other U.S. interests," Swire said.
    TECHNOLOGICAL BREAKTHROUGH

According to Kaspersky, the spies made a technological breakthrough by figuring out how to lodge malicious software in the obscure code called firmware that launches every time a computer is turned on.
    Disk drive firmware is viewed by spies and cybersecurity experts as the second-most valuable real estate on a PC for a hacker, second only to the BIOS code invoked automatically as a computer boots up.
    "The hardware will be able to infect the computer over and over," lead Kaspersky researcher Costin Raiu said in an interview.
    Though the leaders of the still-active espionage campaign could have taken control of thousands of PCs, giving them the ability to steal files or eavesdrop on anything they wanted, the spies were selective and only established full remote control over machines belonging to the most desirable foreign targets, according to Raiu. He said Kaspersky found only a few especially high-value computers with the hard-drive infections.
    Kaspersky's reconstructions of the spying programs show that they could work in disk drives sold by more than a dozen companies, comprising essentially the entire market. They include Western Digital Corp, Seagate Technology Plc, Toshiba Corp, IBM, Micron Technology Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.

Western Digital, Seagate and Micron said they had no knowledge of these spying programs. Toshiba and Samsung declined to comment. IBM did not respond to requests for comment.
    GETTING THE SOURCE CODE

Raiu said the authors of the spying programs must have had access to the proprietary source code that directs the actions of the hard drives. That code can serve as a roadmap to vulnerabilities, allowing those who study it to launch attacks much more easily.
    "There is zero chance that someone could rewrite the [hard drive] operating system using public information," Raiu said.
    Concerns about access to source code flared after a series of high-profile cyberattacks on Google Inc and other U.S. companies in 2009 that were blamed on China. Investigators have said they found evidence that the hackers gained access to source code from several big U.S. tech and defense companies.
    It is not clear how the NSA may have obtained the hard drives' source code. Western Digital spokesman Steve Shattuck said the company "has not provided its source code to government agencies." The other hard drive makers would not say if they had shared their source code with the NSA.
    Seagate spokesman Clive Over said it has "secure measures to prevent tampering or reverse engineering of its firmware and other technologies." Micron spokesman Daniel Francisco said the company took the security of its products seriously and "we are not aware of any instances of foreign code."....
    more at link
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-17-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I can see where this spyware would be useful in grabbing data locally, say to a thumb drive.

But the second it tries to phone home to Mama with data it'll be caught and stopped if you have any sort of decent cyber security on your computer.

To say that the NSA or CIA doesn't engage in cyber espionage is silly, it's common knowledge that they do - that was made clear on the attack on Iran's nuke plant. If you can remotely burn down an Iranian nuclear weapons program using nothing but your in-house hackers, then why wouldn't you? That's a lot less risky (and much less expensive) than sending a couple of stealth aircraft there to blow it up, nevermind the political blow back. We could have let Israel bomb them, but they've already got a lot on their plate and they've already blown up a Syrian nuke plant and an Iraqi nuke plant.

It's a double-edged sword. It's cool when you do it to our enemies, but no one likes it when it's used on U.S. citizens. But then you have to consider the U.S. citizens that are planning to blow up a Kitten Factory. It's good that they are caught before engaging in their plans, right?

That being said, I don't think that American citizens all have their computers bugged by this nefarious NSA spyware. It would soon be included in the spyware scans (if it isn't already) and besides - everyone already blurts out everything about themselves on the internet anyway. There's no need to spy when you already have your entire life posted in detail by yourself on Facebook or Instagram or whatever.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I can see where this spyware would be useful in grabbing data locally, say to a thumb drive.

But the second it tries to phone home to Mama with data it'll be caught and stopped if you have any sort of decent cyber security on your computer.

To say that the NSA or CIA doesn't engage in cyber espionage is silly, it's common knowledge that they do - that was made clear on the attack on Iran's nuke plant. If you can remotely burn down an Iranian nuclear weapons program using nothing but your in-house hackers, then why wouldn't you? That's a lot less risky (and much less expensive) than sending a couple of stealth aircraft there to blow it up, nevermind the political blow back. We could have let Israel bomb them, but they've already got a lot on their plate and they've already blown up a Syrian nuke plant and an Iraqi nuke plant.

It's a double-edged sword. It's cool when you do it to our enemies, but no one likes it when it's used on U.S. citizens. But then you have to consider the U.S. citizens that are planning to blow up a Kitten Factory. It's good that they are caught before engaging in their plans, right?

That being said, I don't think that American citizens all have their computers bugged by this nefarious NSA spyware. It would soon be included in the spyware scans (if it isn't already) and besides - everyone already blurts out everything about themselves on the internet anyway. There's no need to spy when you already have your entire life posted in detail by yourself on Facebook or Instagram or whatever.
    I don't blast all my info all over.
    if the gov't didn't look they wouldn't know much more than what i send them in my tax returns.
    I'd say that goes for a lot of people.

and of course as a weapon against enemy states it's fantastic, but don't foreign countries at nuke facilities have "spyware" protection at least as good as what most americans have? so why does it block/capture/ see/remove here in the U.S. for Mom's dell computer but not for foriegners nuclear scientific IT depts?

And if our gov't assumes executive power to bypass the constitution willy nilly then this is just another in the list of warrantless invasive problems correct?

they need a warrant to come into your house and physically take your computer right?
    So why is it, ok to take HD info remotely? that's all they want in a physical seizure anyway.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

4. Thanks PixieStix thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

We are not free, we have not been free for some time. Take for instance the fact that we have to report our earnings every year.

I might seem like a far righty. Maybe I am, I don't care. I am sick of all the bureaucrats wanting to know every damned thing about me and what I do at any given moment and how much money I spend and what I have. ect............................................... ..........

It is all about control.

That is why my sigline is what it is. I recently purchased a new computer and microsoft needs to know everything before I could even turn the damned thing on, and google anything.

“I hope we once again have reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts.”
    ~Ronald Reagan~
    Last edited by PixieStix; 02-25-2015 at 12:29 PM.
    We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people. ~Theodore Roosevelt~

6. Thanks revelarts, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    and of course as a weapon against enemy states it's fantastic, but don't foreign countries at nuke facilities have "spyware" protection at least as good as what most americans have? so why does it block/capture/ see/remove here in the U.S. for Mom's dell computer but not for foriegners nuclear scientific IT depts?
    Spyware / Malware / Virus is a cat-and-mouse game. Someone will write a nasty new bug, it will run rampant worldwide for a few hours, and then the security people catch up and write countermeasures for it. That's why your anti-malware programs need to be updated - they need the definitions of the newest bugs out there to keep your machine safe.

So in the case of the Iranian job, the new bug was written and released into those specific computers to get the job done before the Iranian security software was aware of it. I can't imagine those computers not having antivirus & anti-malware... but stranger things have happened.

And if our gov't assumes executive power to bypass the constitution willy nilly then this is just another in the list of warrantless invasive problems correct?
    Yes.

they need a warrant to come into your house and physically take your computer right?
    Yes.

So why is it, ok to take HD info remotely? that's all they want in a physical seizure anyway.
    It isn't okay.

8. Thanks PixieStix, revelarts, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Liberty

You know things are bad when Americans think about freedom and start crying.

My country...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Russia says so? Boy do we believe Russia these days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Liberty

Orwell is starting to look like an optimist

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debater View Post

My country...
    You're in China.

What do you know about America and Americans?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    You're in China.

What do you know about America and Americans?
    I am hoping you used the President's accent and annunciation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

My country...

Yeah, that usually happens because we feel so lucky, and happy enough to make us proud enough to cry in Thankfulness for the FREEDOMS, LIBERTIES, and RIGHTS we have. Miserable people who don't call themselves Americans either lie to themselves, or do something to change their life, by coming here to CRY FREEDOM!
    So..you can stick your propaganda campaign up you snookus and inhale till you taste your a-hole.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Liberty

Welcome to the land of the free.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Welcome to the land of the free.
    Tell you what, junior. You're just as free as you want to be. And in 72 when hopefully the owner @jimnyc has returned, we can see how free you are to spam his board with one-liners.

In the meantime, try to use the time off constructively.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tyranny

Americans used to believe in free speech.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Americans used to believe in free speech.

We still do you weasle....that's how you manage to show us how stupid you are here.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !