Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default What's for Dinner

It's cold here, about 50. Anyways it's put me in the mood for cooking. Now making Chili and Crockpot Ravioli. I'll have at least 2 weeks meals in my freezer!

Both call for browned ground beef, so a leg up on not taking too much time.

I browned the ground round all at once, adding onion and garlic, even though the chili recipe doesn't call for garlic. Can never have too much garlic! Vampires have not bothered me, ever!
    Last edited by Kathianne; 02-24-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added recipe links

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    It's cold here, about 50. Anyways it's put me in the mood for cooking. Now making Chili and Crockpot Ravioli. I'll have at least 2 weeks meals in my freezer!

Both call for browned ground beef, so a leg up on not taking too much time.

I browned the ground round all at once, adding onion and garlic, even though the chili recipe doesn't call for garlic. Can never have too much garlic! Vampires have not bothered me, ever!
    Soup & chicken salad sandwiches tonite. We'll probably get snow tonight again, so I might make either some chili or some jambalaya tomorrow. Dunno what mood I'll be in yet.

3. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post
    Soup & chicken salad sandwiches tonite. We'll probably get snow tonight again, so I might make either some chili or some jambalaya tomorrow. Dunno what mood I'll be in yet.
    Since moving to Sedona I haven't been able to find "Brooks Chili Hot Beans" which was main base for my chili. After trying some of the beans they do offer, I've given up on my standby chili recipe. Thus returning to finding some recipes that use other types of beans.

I made this white chili recipe a couple weeks ago, really good but took a lot of time.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sweet, what a coincidence, I made chili for dinner tonight! Used bison beef, onions, tomato sauce & assorted spices. Let the yumminess sit in the crock pot for about 4 hours. First time trying the bison for chili. I used it before to make burgers and they were MUCH better than regular.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Sweet, what a coincidence, I made chili for dinner tonight! Used bison beef, onions, tomato sauce & assorted spices. Let the yumminess sit in the crock pot for about 4 hours. First time trying the bison for chili. I used it before to make burgers and they were MUCH better than regular.
    Bison is really tasty and often cheaper here than ground sirloin. I doubt true in the Midwest, but works for me in AZ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Bison is really tasty and often cheaper here than ground sirloin. I doubt true in the Midwest, but works for me in AZ.
    Damn, what I get here is like 2x as expensive as the regular ground beef I would get. But it's worth it, the flavor is so much better.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

9. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My famous Tuna Melt sammiches here!

Gone be 14 degrees tonight for a low.
    ‎'Is there anything wrong with anything.' Is that what you're asking, friendo?

11. Thanks Kathianne, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
    My famous Tuna Melt sammiches here!

Gone be 14 degrees tonight for a low.
    Did you make tomato soup to go with those excellent tuna melts?

13. Thanks Anton Chigurh thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you make tomato soup to go with those excellent tuna melts?
    Potato soup! This here's Texas!
    ‎'Is there anything wrong with anything.' Is that what you're asking, friendo?

15. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Since moving to Sedona I haven't been able to find "Brooks Chili Hot Beans" which was main base for my chili. After trying some of the beans they do offer, I've given up on my standby chili recipe. Thus returning to finding some recipes that use other types of beans.

I made this white chili recipe a couple weeks ago, really good but took a lot of time.
    Couldn't help myself. In the past hour I threw in a cup and half of white corn and a package of chopped spinach. So much fiber, good thing I'm not working tomorrow! LOL!

17. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Today I am going to be making spaghetti sauce with a pound of bacon, red and yellow peppers, basil, garlic of course, black peppers diced tomatoes,

I will share the recipe

3 large cans of Dei Fratell diced tomatoes, I use the seasoned version.

1lb of fried bacon, crumbled

diced red and yellow peppers, diced onions, and garlic all sauteed in left over bacon grease

Add diced peppers, onions and garlic in tomatoes, along with the bacon drippings,. Add 2 teaspoons of basil or more to your liking. 1 teaspoon of black pepper, I love black pepper, so I add a lot
    . 1/2 tsp of red chilis.

Cook between medium to low heat for 6 hours.

Serve over your favorite pasta, sprinkle fresh shredded Parmesan cheese. I like Frigo parmesan.
    Last edited by PixieStix; 02-28-2015 at 11:28 AM.
    We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people. ~Theodore Roosevelt~

19. Thanks LongTermGuy, Kathianne, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I just buy dark red kidney beans for chili. And I cheat and use chili fixins in a bag (I'm lazy).....but if I have to make it from scratch, I just use whatever seasonings I have in the pantry. I tend to like Wendy's chili, so my chili isn't the traditional kind. More tomatoes, beans, etc. But that's how I like it. Oh, and with shredded raw onion and lots of grated cheddar on top!

Snow on the ground here, freezing all week....I opted for the jambalaya with red kidney beans and chicken and cheese. Comfort food!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I sat at a wrestling meet all day today ( WE WON ) so we're having left over beef stew from last night. The truly great thing about stew is that it's even better the next day.

22. Thanks Kathianne, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PixieStix View Post
    Today I am going to be making spaghetti sauce with a pound of bacon, red and yellow peppers, basil, garlic of course, black peppers diced tomatoes,

I will share the recipe

3 large cans of Dei Fratell diced tomatoes, I use the seasoned version.

1lb of fried bacon, crumbled

diced red and yellow peppers, diced onions, and garlic all sauteed in left over bacon grease

Add diced peppers, onions and garlic in tomatoes, along with the bacon drippings,. Add 2 teaspoons of basil or more to your liking. 1 teaspoon of black pepper, I love black pepper, so I add a lot
    . 1/2 tsp of red chilis.

Cook between medium to low heat for 6 hours.

Serve over your favorite pasta, sprinkle fresh shredded Parmesan cheese. I like Frigo parmesan.

24. Thanks PixieStix thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post
    I just buy dark red kidney beans for chili. And I cheat and use chili fixins in a bag (I'm lazy).....but if I have to make it from scratch, I just use whatever seasonings I have in the pantry. I tend to like Wendy's chili, so my chili isn't the traditional kind. More tomatoes, beans, etc. But that's how I like it. Oh, and with shredded raw onion and lots of grated cheddar on top!

Snow on the ground here, freezing all week....I opted for the jambalaya with red kidney beans and chicken and cheese. Comfort food!
    If you checked out my OP, the chili recipe was a Wendy's hack. I did use the red kidney beans and also pinto beans. After a couple hours decided to add another can of red kidney beans and a package of baby spinach and some corn. I started out with the spice recommendations, though I did add garlic to the meat while browning. Before adding additional beans and veggies, I upped the chili powder, added cumin, and some hot sauce. I like spicy.

26. Thanks LongTermGuy, PixieStix thanked this post